AOW "Specialties"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goonsquad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering which of the specialties offered people thought are of most use. I'm thinking night, wreck, and search and rescue would be the most beneficial in an educational aspect. I'm in UT so every dive is an altitude dive, don't see a need to further learn what I already understand. The rest just seem dumb, except maybe drift diving.

what say the masses?

It's really up to you and what your interests are. No one can make this decision for you. But, how far do you plan on taking your "scuba education"? Master Diver, Divemaster, Instructor? I suppose if you wanted to go to Master Diver then you would want to pick some of the topics that you could easily take the Specialty course for. I don't know what the diving situation is like in UT, but I figure it can't be that great. Plan on taking a dive vacation somewhere where you can do a course or two in something that interests you, or do your AOW somewhere where you can get a real feel for what those types of dives are like. That's all the advice I can give you.

The dives I offer in my AOW course are Advanced Skills which covers propulsion techniques, performing all basic skills horizontal in mid water, use and deployment of stage bottle, shooting bag, and buddy skills. UW Navigation which IMO is a core skill that every competent diver should have, Night/Low vis, Deep, Search and Recovery, and Buddy Skills and Assist which refines proper buddy skills and introduces new rescue and assist skills. This involves 100 ft no mask swims, 100 ft no mask air share swims, no mask air share swims and ascents, recovery of an unconscious diver from depth, loss of buoyancy assist, and rescue tows. I will substitue wreck for Search and Recovery if the student wants and is willing to cover the expense of doing actual wreck dives. A school bus in a quarry is not a wreck.

That stuff that Jim Lapenta offers is a necessity.
That other stuff you just read about and just do.

The first time I took my AOW (sinus infection cut it short) the instructor took a more holistic approach to making the students better divers versus sticking to a "these are the five dives we are doing." Certain dives did have particular objectives (night, nav, deep), but we also did a lot with gear configuration, buoyancy and dive technique.

To reiterate a common theme, find a good instructor and he or she will discuss what you want to get out of the course, and tailor it to your objectives.

I agree with the previous posts but thought I'd add some comments...

Navigation - Very important. Through all my training I was always with instructors, dive masters on charters, what have you. Now that I do most of the leading with my buddy, my skills are not quite up to par. Consider this if you plan to go off with just you and a friend.

Dry suit - Since you dive at altitude this may be a great time to get used to dry suit diving especially with lower student costs on rental gear. If you already dive dry, you can disregard this.

Deep - No one mentioned this and I don't think it'd be particularly eye-opening or amazingly informational, but it does leave the door slightly ajar for further advancement (Deep Specialty, etc.)

Good luck in making your decisions and good luck with the course!

I agree that night, deep, EANx and nav specialties are the most beneficial in terms of education. S&R would probably be next. If necessary, Peak Perf Buoyancy could be a huge benefit and, as stated, drysuit if it applies. Other than those, I think DM would be next logical choice.

Another vote for NAV=most important unless you enjoy swimming on the surface in full SCUBA gear shark bait.
I'm in the Buffalo, NY area and the Niagara rive drift is a gas of a thrill ride when the currents up and even when its not. A "must do" if you live in this area and even if you don't...
Nav, night and deep are required for PADI AOW then you choose 2 more that you're interested in.

Just wondering which of the specialties offered people thought are of most use. I'm thinking night, wreck, and search and rescue would be the most beneficial in an educational aspect. I'm in UT so every dive is an altitude dive, don't see a need to further learn what I already understand. The rest just seem dumb, except maybe drift diving.

what say the masses?

"Of most use" will of course depend on you - your interests and your diving. I think most divers will benefit a lot from the Nitrox specialty, since that cert is required to use EAN.

The dives I offer in my AOW course are Advanced Skills which covers propulsion techniques, performing all basic skills horizontal in mid water, use and deployment of stage bottle, shooting bag, and buddy skills. UW Navigation which IMO is a core skill that every competent diver should have, Night/Low vis, Deep, Search and Recovery, and Buddy Skills and Assist which refines proper buddy skills and introduces new rescue and assist skills. This involves 100 ft no mask swims, 100 ft no mask air share swims, no mask air share swims and ascents, recovery of an unconscious diver from depth, loss of buoyancy assist, and rescue tows. I will substitue wreck for Search and Recovery if the student wants and is willing to cover the expense of doing actual wreck dives. A school bus in a quarry is not a wreck.

I would like to take your class, want to come to UT? :)

I think I'll try to mirror it as close as I can, I'm thinking nav, s.a.r. and night are the ones I'll go with on this trip. I would like to do drift but as we'll be in a reservoir there isnt too much of a current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom