AOW "Specialties"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the DPV specialty worthwile. Though I do not own a scooter, yet, I have rented them many times. Some rentals require certification, some not. The small group expeditions generally do not

I developed the curriculum for my class back in '04, along with another NAUI instructor. We did so because we felt that the training materials offered by the agency were not adequate
Wow Bob, that's an awesome curricula! I would only add shooting a safety sausage from depth and changing dive number 4 to developing anti-silt techniques and use it as a refresher for gas management if they did not cert their OW through me.

Specialty courses in areas that interest you are always of value, but for EVERYONE, there are some courses that will help you improve skills used on every dive. They are the peak performance buoyancy course, the navigation specialty, and the search and recovery course, which I think of as "applied navigation." If taught by a competent professional, I think these are three most universally valuable continuing course. Right behind them is an equipment specialty course, to learn more about the gear we rely on, and how to maintain and do simple repairs on it.
DivemasterDennis

PADI requires Deep and nav which leaves 3 students choices.

I require nav, deep and night as in our waters any dive easily becomes a night dive when going deep enough ( 6 m can do it in some ponds). That leaves two choices.
Depending on the students abilities, i may require ppb too, leaving only one choice.

Even with one choice left, I will make strong reccomendations in the direction of a specific topic if I feel the need for improvement in that area. Basicly it comes down on me making the choice for the student.

Sounds harsh ? Maybe, but a diver will not finish one of my courses without becoming a much better diver. I do not have to live off teaching, if a diver doesn't agree with me, he/she is free to choose another instructor. Besides I only accept a diver for a course if he/.she really wants to make an effort in becoming a better diver. In the end it makes it more fun for both of us...

The ones that you "want" to take vs the ones that you "have" to take will always have more meaning to you. I think you already answered your own question. Go with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom