AOW training plus AOW diver, together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHXscuba

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello from the heat!
My husband and I are coming to Key Largo to dive in September. I am AOW certified; DH wants to be. We are looking for an Upper Keys dive outfit that would certify him (PADI AOW) and let me be sport diving on the boat at the same time. Short of calling every place, I'm hoping y'all can steer me to a few possibilites that would be happy to let us do this.
One final request: DH wants the certification, but also wants to be sure to dive at least one wreck while there (we will only have the 3 diving days). Any chance they will use the wreck as a deep dive or otherwise?
Thanks in advance,
PHXscuba

you may not agree with me on this but this is my take for dive education while on vacation...DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. do all your training close to home, even if you are stuck diving a lake or spring, even if the viz is close to none...i would rather train in bad conditions as i think it makes me a better diver to dive in bad conditions...i save the vacation for just diving, what i want, when i want. there is all the class time and homework that has to be done, your on vacation!!! enjoy it!

you may not agree with me on this but this is my take for dive education while on vacation...DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. do all your training close to home, even if you are stuck diving a lake or spring, even if the viz is close to none...i would rather train in bad conditions as i think it makes me a better diver to dive in bad conditions...i save the vacation for just diving, what i want, when i want. there is all the class time and homework that has to be done, your on vacation!!! enjoy it!

You make a good point, but for AOW there is really little or no class time and a couple of days diving at most. Not nearly as time consuming as a Basic O/W class.

You make a good point, but for AOW there is really little or no class time and a couple of days diving at most. Not nearly as time consuming as a Basic O/W class.

yeah...I agree..AOW is just diving, and it's more fun to do your deep dive on a cool wreck, your night dive on a cool reef as opposed to what we saw in my local quarry!

I'd also check out Blue Water divers in Key Largo, and if you get to Marathon by chance, Captain Hooks. I've used both and they are top notch as well!

We both got certified in our local murky lake, so we know what the alternative is like.
DH may still do the AOW this summer locally, but the weekends are filling up, so I suggested he might do in in the Keys. We are going to Belize next spring and he really wants to get the certification before we go. The Keys trip may be the only good time before water temps start falling.

Any other good Upper Keys dive shops anyone can share a good experience with certifying AOW divers?

By the same token there's no reason why he shouldn't do the certification down here, while you're "just diving" from the same boat.

Most operators here can accommodate you, but if you want to dive with your husband and his instructor, you'll most likely be charged an additional ($25 or so) guide fee.

We often conduct AOW deep and wreck dives on the Spiegel Grove and/or Duane. If you're interested in diving these wrecks, just let the dive op know when you call to book.

You'd do well to consider Brent at BlueWater Divers. We just spent Memorial weekend in Key Largo at Marina Del Mar and had a great time. Brent worked with my son while I dove with my other son. He was very professional and accomodating. You can read about it here. Look around post #15.

We intend to return next summer to do our AOW class with Brent (after the boys get enough dives under their belts). Good luck to you!

Cheers,
Hector

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom