Apeks ATX vs XL4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking at setting up a dive centre with Apeks regs and was thinking of the ATX regs. Recently had a look at the new XL4 regs and with the only a slight price difference its worth considering. Does anyone have any experience with the XL4? Wondering what the primary differences are? The second stages are tiny and super light- very tempting. But if these are intended for personal use travel regs then I'm worried they wouldnt handle the wear of a dive centre rental setup.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated.

I have XTX50s and my teenage son has XL4s. Both are excellent regs and breathe really well. Basically, the XL4's have all the travel-friendly lightness of the Flight regs but with full cold water performance.

To be honest for a centre I think you'd be fine with ATXs, which is what my local centre uses for student workhorses even with younger students (I think they put smaller mouthpieces on some of them).

Go for the ATX series.
They use the standard service kits from Apeks and they are very simple Butter good.
They are reliable in cold water and easy to breathe.
I used them in 5 degrees C. cold water below 40 m without an problems.

BR

The XL4 is rather convoluted and requires what looks like a few specialized tools. I'd go the ATX20, simple to service with no specialized tools required.

Great. thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll stick with the ATX regs to keep it easier for service. Maybe pick up an XL4 for myself as a travel set :)

Hmmm, I wouldn't buy an XL4 for travel unless you're going to carry the tools required. I doubt many shops, particularly in far flung places, would have tools on hand to service it should the need arise. Personally I'd stick with an ATX for travel also. YMMV.

XL4 is following the new APEKS trend of customized parts/size/hose and all that jazz?

From time to time Apeks would produce some really strange designs:
1/2" LP port for the old DST, FST and FSR 1st stage.
"Status" 1st stage.
"Flight' with proprietary hose.

Any equipment that require special tool is NOT really suitable for travelling.
I replaced the stupid 1/2" LP hose in my DST and FSR with a standard one(3/8") + "reduction" adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom