Apeks Black Sapphire 40yr vs Aqualung Legend LUX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most AL shops here will mark up the replacement part before they sell it to an end customer though. I wanted a spare 2nd stage diaphragm for a tx50 and was quoted 28 dollars for one. -_-

Prices come from the UK Apeks 2015 trade price list. The SRP of an XTX100 in the UK is £513 or US$796.58.

What is the wholesale price? Does the SRP include VAT?

In the US Aqualung are VERY careful to maintain prices, in the EU and particularly the UK, they couldn't give a toss and I regularly see Apeks products for sale online at prices very, very close to trade. Once again, the idea that anyone in diving retail makes a mark-up of 100% is simply untrue.

I never said anyone in diving retail makes 100% mark-up. I told the OP that the mark-up of his regulator is 100% between wholesale and list so there is room to bargain. So far you laughed at me and called me a liar but did not provide any evidence to the contrary.

If you wanted to replace the turret on a DST for one with all 3/8" ports and no 1/2" one you would need part number AP5103. This doesn't have a SRP as it is a dealer-only part but the cost to the dealer would be under £20. Any Apeks/Aqualung dealer should be able to source the part easily. Whether they will sell it to you for you to install or insist on dealer installation is another matter though.

The OP is purchasing an XTX 100 which comes with a FST first stage not a DST. I thought you were quoting a replacement body for an FST not for the DST, as the OP was not interested in the XTX 50. How much is a replacement body for the FST? Scubaspares does not list a price.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 08:48 PM ----------

A replacement body for an Apeks DST (AP1480) costs £22.04 or US$34.15. Hardly a fortune.

I looked up the cost of a FST body which is what the OP is thinking about purchasing. The cost is 145 Euros which is 165 dollars. While not a fortune it is a significant sum of money. A person can purchase a new DS4 for only a few dollars more.

AP US Dealers:

XTX100 - 357.-US$

FST Body - 150,-US$

TX50 2nd stage diaphragm - 11,50 US$

DST Body - 56,-US$

Late to the thread and you already have a number of suggestions.

Either regulator is great. If you have the money and you like the looks, then there is no reason not to buy what you want.

I personally consider the Black Sapphire more of a "collectors" edition and would not think of it as a first and only regulator purchase...but it certainly can be. My son uses a Legend XL...same as the LUX but without the black and gold...and it is a great regulator. Another Apeks black regulator is the XTX Tungsten which is the XTX 200 with the black PVD coating. I dive with an XTX 100 and an XTX50. I can't tell the difference between the two in the water.

So to answer your questions...

I consider Apeks and AL to be of equivalent quality.
In my experience, both regulators are serviceable worldwide through Aqualung dealers, although the chances of stocking a cosmetic item for the Legend may be greater than for the Black Sapphire.

If I had to choose between the two you mention, I would get the Legend simply because I would hate to get any wear and tear on my Limited Edition Anniversary regulator through everyday use. If I wanted a PVD coated regulator, I personally would get the Tungsten over the Legend LUX because I don't like the rose gold color. If I was getting my first regulator and wanting to save money...I would get an XTX50 or XTX100 or even an ATX40.

XTX40 - 119,-US$

You don't find the catalogs in the internet I guess.......

Usually I give those information only if it might help in a discussion.......

Usually I give those information only if it might help in a discussion.......

Do you know what the story is on the ATX-40 sets? I used to see them advertised all over for $399 and now they are $599. Seems like a large increase.

Do you know what the story is on the ATX-40 sets? I used to see them advertised all over for $399 and now they are $599. Seems like a large increase.

599,-US$?

That's pretty steep, dealer price 220,-US$ (with DS4 Yoke 1st), MAP 465,-US$, and then you have to be careful not too over torque the heat exchanger to avoid damage on the valve spindle support in the case of the ATX40.

The 599,-US$ offer includes probably the octo and the spg console with depth gauge.

The 599,-US$ offer includes probably the octo and the spg console with depth gauge.

Yes, that is correct. I am sorry, I should have been more specific.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2015 at 08:57 PM ----------

They got popular.

LOL. You are probably correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom