Apeks Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makes sense, there's only a handful of computer manufacturers, I could release an exclusive "Scubaroo" computer if I really wanted to - just need to talk to the right people. Makes sense Apeks would outsource the computers to an existing manufacturer.

On a seperate note, I recently contacted Suunto about their new Gekko computer, asking if they had any plans to release a "gauge-only" computer, ie a bottom timer, in the same form factor as the Gekko/Vyper/Vytec. They said just buy a Vytec and set it to gauge mode permanently. I think they missed the point.

Scubaroo:
On a seperate note, I recently contacted Suunto about their new Gekko computer, asking if they had any plans to release a "gauge-only" computer, ie a bottom timer, in the same form factor as the Gekko/Vyper/Vytec. They said just buy a Vytec and set it to gauge mode permanently. I think they missed the point.

Try talking to them in Finnish..

Seriously though I agree they need to make a simple bottom timer like the Uwatec one.

WarmWaterDiver:
Personally, I'm happy with my NiTek3 for what I use it for and am certified for, but I think the NiTek Plus would be my choice today, mainly due to size of unit and size of memory.

i like a lot dive rite computers specially nitek3 because it´s a time proven design ( i already own one) but now vytec would be my choice (in this category) due to this computer has almost the same price than nitek3 and nitek plus with a newer algorithm (deals with 3 mixes like nitek3 but nitek duo just have 2 ), small size, wireless transmiter as option ( that i don´t like it ). Some people think the suunto deco algorithms are too conservative for technical diving but i think exactly the opposite...they have a good and safer model for agressive diving..i prefer spent my time underwater (in deco) than in the deco chamber... i though the new mares m1 rgbm could be a cheaper option for rec diving ( $200 range) but i posted a thread here and feedbacks were not very positive..

:bounce:

Will Tekkie - to each his own - the main thing for me is no matter what dive computer I'm using, the organic computer between my ears is the one I most count on. Personally, I don't push dive profiles or pursue aggresive diving - but that's just my choice and diving is a leisure activity for me. The specific algorithm used by any dive computer or decompression planning software is of less significance to me than ensuring how I choose to execute a dive profile - like choosing what is now a "deep stop" and having a dive computer credit it simply as a slower ascent and non-square profile dive is fine for me, as it's part of my dive plan.

I would think "aggressive diving" would have a greater probability of having to execute decompression in a chamber than "conservative" or leisurely" diving though.

APEKS QUANTUM looks nice (from what it seems on the picture)... but I am already committed to Suunto wince I have their PC interface to download my profiles... But, if anyone have hands on experience using QUANTUM, keep posting your review here, especially how it may compare to Suunto Vyper. I am interested in gauge mode primarily.

I have the Quantum computer and it is easy to use and very clear. It is like a Vytec which a friend uses.

One nice feature is that it shows time to surface including safety stops/decompression stops.

Only problem cannot get a cover for it yet.

Sounds good. I though it only held 2 gases though? Maybe just try some of that lense protector film on the lense. Works ok.

Has anyone seen any reviews done on the Quantum, or is anyone able to offer a comparison of this computer to, oh say...A suunto vyper?

I guess it's such a new computer most would not be able to comment to much on it yet, and it seems we are restricted to opinions from Canada and UK.

If anyone knows how conservative it is, or if it is lacking in desirable features, it would really be cool to know.

I've heard of a few people who went with it, but not many...probably because it's so new and not too many have heard of it yet. I haven't heard any negative comments yet, but then I haven't heard too many coments period.

Hello there,

I am happy to see others looking at these computers, I was starting to think I was alone out there.

After much of the same deliberation I just bought the dive rite nitek duo made by Seiko, will be trying it in about a month.

From the pictures it looks to be EXACTLY the same as the TUSA DC Hunter as well as the APEKs Quantum. My impression from photos and described features is that they are all the same computer, all made by Seiko. The Tusa and dive rite go for high 300's, apeks maybe less.

I couldn't find any reviews on these either (believe they were new in Jan) but the feature set sounded just right for me so I took the leap. The manual says it uses the Buhlmann-ZH-L16 algorithm, 9 tissue samples. You have the option of switching it to more conservative by adjusting the altitude it calculates for. Its extremely light and appears especially easy to read and to program as compared to my old Aladin.

Re compared to vyper (my other candidate) I'm no expert here but this is my understanding from killing a couple perfectly good evenings on the internet. The seiko-made computers differ from the suuntos in that I believe the suuntos might sample more tissues (?), also Suuntos have a rgbm-like fuzzy factor built in. This is similar to but not quite the Weinke (sp ) rgbm that is found in the hydrospace or the new mares. One of the main differences of the mares and hydrospace rgbm is indicating for a deep stop for which you are credited when you get to 15 ft., an update from what many of us learned in OW and AOW. (Suunto owners can answer if they do this or not.) But the nitek duo/quantum/tusa do not use that formula. (Not that one couldn't make a stop guided by grey matter to gain safety benefit of the findings.)

Re cover, folks down at diveritexpress expect covers for the duos (brother of quantum) in a few weeks. Or, you can look up the tusa dc hunter, one of the shops selling it includes a protective cover -- my guess, that cover would fit any of these.

Well I hope this helps and look forward to hearing your alls decision and experience if you decide to go for it.
Glo

Just when I thought I'd decided on the Oceanic Versa Pro 2, this comes along. Anyone care to make comments comparing them. This will be my first computer and I'm still trying to figure out the differences between the algorithms, etc.

Any reasons to go for one over the other in specifications features.

Thanks,

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom