Apeks DST XTX50 and XTX40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a bunch of Apeks DS4, not DST sorry. As second stages I've got XTX 50, TX50 and 2 ATX40. Hundreds of dives without any problem. Just one draw back : the XTX is way too expensive.

And the barrel has a tendency to twist. I've been smarting about that for years.

When you tighten jam nut or change/tighten hose the air barrel has a tendency to twist in the case which causes the lever to rotate. The lever then doesn't sit parallel to diaphragm, i.e one leg only will touch.

When tuning, servicing, changing hoses, after you're done you need to remove face plate to check lever is still even. If not, tighten up/loosen the jam nut against hose to level out lever, then put face plate back on.

Apeks lowered torque spec on jam nut but this "issue" can still occur.

SP design (and others) is a way better design as one end of barrel and case is square so barrel cannot twist in the same manner.

Great second stages, but this has always bothered me, I bother easily, the G260/G250V are my preferred second stages which I mate with Apeks FSR first stages.

When you tighten jam nut or change/tighten hose the air barrel has a tendency to twist in the case which causes the lever to rotate.

SP design (and others) is a way better design as one end of barrel and case is square so barrel cannot twist in the same manner.

^--- This

I'm glad somebody said it. With all the Apeks fans here on SB, it's hard to be the one saying, "meh." I think their second stage seats are only average (they really take a set, and lose tune early), and this issue is significant, IMO.

When you tighten jam nut or change/tighten hose the air barrel has a tendency to twist in the case which causes the lever to rotate. The lever then doesn't sit parallel to diaphragm, i.e one leg only will touch.

When tuning, servicing, changing hoses, after you're done you need to remove face plate to check lever is still even. If not, tighten up/loosen the jam nut against hose to level out lever, then put face plate back on.

Great second stages, but this has always bothered me, I bother easily, the G260/G250V are my preferred second stages which I mate with Apeks FSR first stages.

Wasn't aware of that problem, never had this mishap. Still it doesn't mean it may not happen in the future. We learn something new every day around here. Thanks.

Apeks Black Pearl, in this example:
20181219_171443.jpg
20181219_182321.jpg

20181219_182733.jpg

Somebody really honked on this one!
I think regulator excellence for a diver can be different than regulator excellence for a service technician.

I dove a FSR and XTX combo all through last year and they were great regs, would definitely recommend Apeks to anyone assuming they can get them serviced easily around their neck of the woods.
Both of my deco regs are DST/XTX40 and I am super happy with them, will be going for Apeks again when I'm going to expand my deco reg sets.

And the barrel has a tendency to twist. I've been smarting about that for years.
I do not understand why Apeks has done nothing to alleviate this issue all these yrs!

They probably still has tons of the barrels around!

I do not understand why Apeks has done nothing to alleviate this issue all these yrs!

They probably still has tons of the barrels around!

Guess they don't see it as an issue and/or don't want to put money into the tooling etc etc. It's actually the one thing that put me off their second stages.

Hate to say it, being an Apeks fan boy, but IMO the G260 is just better. Better made, better tolerances, more robust.

Now if SP would just make a wide exhaust T option I think it would be "my" perfect second stage.

As it stands, FWIW, which is not much, I'd give the G260 9.8/10, the XTX 7/10.

Of course this is just one crazy guys opinion, not looking for a fight, to each their own. In water both are great, one is just greater.

Apeks 2nd stage is slightly flawed make no mistake.
But it is the only brand that I am familiar with and have no issue over last 22yrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom