Apeks Flight 2nd stage -- questions regarding use with standard LP reg hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbletrubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the advertised features of the Apeks Flight 2nd stage is that it can be removed from the Apeks LP reg hose by hand (without any tools) to make the reg easier to pack for travel. It's not too difficult to envision certain (rare?) scenarios in which the Apeks LP reg hose would need to be replaced. For instance, a warm water tropical diver travels to his destination, encounters an issue with the Flight reg hose, and determines that the hose needs to be replaced. What happens if the dive shop on location doesn't have one of the special Apeks Flight reg hoses? Must the diver rent a reg on location or can the Flight 2nd stage be made to work with a standard (non-Apeks brand) LP reg hose?

Along this line of thinking, I had the following questions:
  1. Is it possible to leave off the locking slide ring (AP#7595) when assembling the Apeks Flight 2nd stage?
  2. Are there wrench flats on the 2nd stage inlet fitting (AP#7586) that would allow affixing a standard LP reg hose and proper tightening of the hose-inlet fitting union?
With the exception of a possible dependence on one brand of reg hose, the Flight looks like an excellent travel regulator.

Thanks for your help with this.

AFAIK, they only work with the proprietary hose. Haven't looked closely enough to be able to say if your 'cheat' solutions would work

I've been toying with the idea of getting a set, bungeeing the Flight as my secondary, and sticking an ATX50 on a 5' Miflex hose as the primary

A lot of people are choosing to carry a replacement Apeks hose with them

Hi Bubbletrubble - Great questions!

In an effort to make the world's smallest, lightest regulator, traditional brass parts such as the inlet fitting and the hose swivel nut have been replaced with composites. To prevent accidental under or over-torqueing of the connection, a locking ring has been used. Screw it on by hand until it stops and you're good to go. As you mentioned, hose failure is very rare. Just do a visual inspection on it prior to traveling. If you are still concerned, you can pack a spare. Now, to answer your questions:

1. Is it possible to leave off the locking slide ring (AP#7595) when assembling the Apeks Flight 2nd stage?
No.
2. Are there wrench flats on the 2nd stage inlet fitting (AP#7586) that would allow affixing a standard LP reg hose and proper tightening of the hose-inlet fitting union?
No.

@tphillipp: Thanks for your answers to my questions.

Any possibility that Apeks will offer a plastic/thermoplastic spacer that would substitute for the locking slide ring so that standard reg hoses could be attached to a Flight second stage?

This solution would add negligible weight to the reg and provide the reg owner significant flexibility in hose choice.

On a side note, does the new Aqualung Titan have the same issue? I believe that it also has a similar hose-second stage removal/attachment feature.

Are there plans to do this (force the use of proprietary reg hoses) with other regs in the Apeks/Aqualung line?
As a long-time customer, I'd like to suggest that you guys not head in that direction.

Last edited:
Apeks really doesn't want a standard hose on this regulator. A traditional swivel hose nut on that inlet fitting could lead to a gorilla technician over-torquing the hose on a composite inlet fitting which could end up damaging the inlet.
Aqua Lung Titan is a similar situation although they added a quick disconnect with other, more practical reasons in mind.
I am not aware of any plans to continue in this direction with other models. The Flight was unique enough that it required it, That is not true of other regs in the line.

Apeks really doesn't want a standard hose on this regulator. A traditional swivel hose nut on that inlet fitting could lead to a gorilla technician over-torquing the hose on a composite inlet fitting which could end up damaging the inlet.
Aqua Lung Titan is a similar situation although they added a quick disconnect with other, more practical reasons in mind.
I am not aware of any plans to continue in this direction with other models. The Flight was unique enough that it required it, That is not true of other regs in the line.
Hmmm. The torque spec on the traditional swivel hose nut for other Apeks and Aqualung second stages is approx. 40 ± 2 inch-pounds. Essentially, this anchors the valve body to the second stage case. Based on what you said, it sounds like, due to either the special material composition of the Flight inlet fitting or the special material composition/design of the Flight second stage case, the torque spec is actually lower than 40 inch-pounds. That's interesting.

It's too bad really. I love my flight but hate the hose. It is too short to look to the left and the proprietary hose means I have to carry a spare when travelling which eliminates the weight savings by having it. Plus I had to fork over for the extra hose which annoyed me.

I really wanted to buy a Flight for travel diving but the hoses were a deal breaker. Im sure they could do a 2nd version using standard or the ability to use standard hoses without any major weight increase, Im sure they would sell more as this seems to be a sticking point for many. Apeks how about it?

It's too bad really. I love my flight but hate the hose. It is too short to look to the left and the proprietary hose means I have to carry a spare when travelling which eliminates the weight savings by having it. Plus I had to fork over for the extra hose which annoyed me.

A much worse problem everyone is missing is if Apeks drops production or changes the Flight back to a standard hose, it is quite possible that replacement hoses would no longer be available in the not too distant future after the end of production making a perfectly good second stage useless. This may be fairly likely due to the hose itself, like the rest of you, I looked at them but decided against the Flight solely due to the hose.

This is helpful information following;

"In an effort to make the world's smallest, lightest regulator, traditional brass parts such as the inlet fitting and the hose swivel nut have been replaced with composites. To prevent accidental under or over-torqueing of the connection, a locking ring has been used. Screw it on by hand until it stops and you're good to go. As you mentioned, hose failure is very rare. Just do a visual inspection on it prior to traveling. If you are still concerned, you can pack a spare. "

My issue is that I am an instructor using it everyday and have a slight freeflow and need to open the second stage to tune it down a bit and I cannot for the life of me open the second stage with the so-called no tool opening. How can I open this second stage in any way? I need to use it every day.

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom