Apeks or Aqualung Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABCT751

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to buy my first regulator and am looking for some advice. (I live in Europe and will be buying DIN if that makes any difference). I know that there have plenty of questions on here about regulators, but I am still having difficulty making a choice between the Apeks ATX40, Apeks XTX200 or the Aqualung Legend (I am aware that Aqualung own Apeks, so the gear is very similar).
My main question is, considering I only do recreational diving, is it worth going for a top of the range model, or is a mid-range model sufficient.
I was in my local dive shop the other week and looked at their Aqualung stuff (they only have Aqualung in store) and I do like the look of the Legend. (I didn’t like the Core model so much).
Having read up online, I am leaning towards Apeks.
The only difference that I can see between the XTX200 and the Legend are that the Legend is over-balanced and the XTX is balanced.
Aqualung has ACD, while Apeks has the Environmental Dry System. Is there much difference there?
The ATX40 looks as though it has very similar specifications to the XTX, but doesn’t look as solidly built. However, I am wondering if this might actually be an advantage as it is lighter, so better for travelling.
What do people think? Is there much operational difference between these regs? Would I be able to tell the difference between them on a typical dive? (For me that is in warm water, no more than an about hour duration and no more than about 30m deep).
Thanks.

> Aqualung has ACD, while Apeks has the Environmental Dry System. Is there much difference there?
these are different things - ACD is protecting first stage from water entering in, and EDS is for cold water usage. Apeks first stages have no ACD thus not protected from water entering in, so be careful and always close the first stage with a cap.

you won't be able to tell the breathing difference between ATX40 and XTX50, so if money/weight is a concern then choose ATX40 - it is as solid and reliable as XTX.
also is money is a concern then do not buy XTX200 - it has almost no advantages over XTX50.

but keep in mind that Apeks are less popular than Aqualung so there are less Apeks service centers out there (if a dive shop sells and services Aqualung it does not mean that they can service Apeks regs).

I can't speak to the Apeks, but I'm diving the Legend first stage & primary. I have 80+ dives on them in 15-30°C water up to 30 metres.

Never had a problem with them. Rock solid piece of kit.

Looking to replace my secondary soon, and the XTX40 or XTX50 are on my shortlist.

As far as do you need top of the range or not ... probably not. Mid Range gear these days is mostly excellent. For me it's a balance between what can I afford and my life :)

They are both over balanced 1st stages, and balanced 2nd stages. Both are environmentally sealed. Major difference between XTX and ATX is that the XTX 2nd stage can have the hose reversed from the right side to the left side.

Legend lx is the only regulator where I actually felt the difference in ease of breath (really really nice to breath, with a very smooth exhale)
, but out of 3 that I used 2 of them had slight free flows and were from different people, so it's not just a bad technician servicing them.

I run Legends (Lux supremes) A single Legend Lx and some Apex XTX50. I run them hard but in warm water I thinkI've 200 dives on the Apex and 600-700 on the Aqualungs

You can't tell the difference between them and they're both bombproof

Out of the Apex rage I'd only consider the XTX 50 the 100, and 200 have no advantages - I'm happy to spend money but even i didn't see the point of a XTX 100/200

I love teh ACD on the Legend, it suits the environment I dive in - indeed I'm looking to have my Apex 1st stages converted to ACD - I like the piece of mind because I don't baby my regs.

So whichever you choose you won't be disappointed

The xtx200 usually is bundled with the FSR which has a replaceable crown, but in real world usage, it doesn't have much advantage over the DS4/DST. xtx50/DST has some advantages compared to the atx40/ds4 due to the longer exhaust tee, adjustment knob so you can tune it lighter, and turret/5th port, but none of that is really necessary.

ATX40/DS4 is plenty for most

I have the Legend LX Supreme for single tank. Love them. XTX50 for doubles. Can’t go wrong with either one.

Back
Top Bottom