Apeks tx100 vs. scubapro 20/600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do any of you have a favorite pillow that you sleep with or a favorite shirt? Is it any better than the other pillow?

I have a favorite reg. ATX-200, but If I were not allowed to dive Apeks ever again, I would dive Scubapro. I wouldn't dive Dacor or Mares or Poseidon, or atomic or any of that other stuff.
If one were to purchase the higher end regs of either brand, you could almost guarantee happiness.

I'm with divesherpa: unless you're diving very technical situations, discussions about Apeks -v- ScubaPro become something of a "how many angels can dance..." question.

None of them are going to get you killed, none of them are going to require much in the way of unscheduled service, all of them breath pretty dang easy, etc., etc.

At 300fsw, I'd like to have an Apeks TX100/DS4 in my mouth for the slight edge (IMNSHO) in breathability. If I'm going to Bonaire, I'll pack an MK20/G250 because I know I can get it serviced anywhere in the world. Anyone diving either one in either situation has selected an appropriate regulator, however.

Matt:

OK-- don't explode with happiness now, but I am really considering buying a ScubaPro MK20/S600.

But I have three reservations:

1) some people I have talked to say that they woudn't use a piston reg. -- reasons are a) they are in contact with the water and as such can get silt and salt and whatever else is in the water in them, which can cause corrosion and degrade performance over time unliess you are meticulous in cleaning them out every time you dive. and (b) because of this, pistons are only better when they are new. But environmentally sealed diaphragms are better over the long hall because they don't get gunked up.

2) I've heard an awful lot of complaints about a pronunced tenedncy of ScubaPro regs (esp the S600) to free flow.

3) I have also heard complaints that ScubaPro doesn't breathe as dry as some other regs, especially in upside-down positions.

What say ye to these charges, Oh ScubaPro guru??

:grad: :grad: :grad:

If I were going to do like most people and have a regulator serviced every year I would buy a piston type. I believe there is less chance that a tech will damage it in some way.

The diaphragm reg should be less susceptible to long term environmental problems, but the differences are sometimes exaggerated. However, I really don't have a lot of confidence in paying somebody to open one of those Swiss watch mechanisms every year. I would feel better if I were watching or I did the work, but not every year. Maybe every five years.

Originally posted by DivingDoc
Matt:

1) But environmentally sealed diaphragms are better over the long hall because they don't get gunked up.

2) I've heard an awful lot of complaints about a pronunced tenedncy of ScubaPro regs (esp the S600) to free flow.

3) I have also heard complaints that ScubaPro doesn't breathe as dry as some other regs, especially in upside-down positions.

I have a TX100, and previously had Mares regs.

1) I like the logic, but have not seen any difference in effect.

2) My TX100 will free flow, if I adjust it up for the easiest breathing. It also trickle free flowed due to worn first stage seat.

3) I have had the tx100 breath wet when on my back and slightly inverted.

I intend to stick with tx100s (two for doubles, plus one for stage) even though I could get cheaper regs, and even though another reg may be theoretically better. The Tx100 is definately good enough for any diving I could concievably do, and I like the idea of having all my gear the same, so a spares kit can be carried to fix anything.

Any of the better regs from Apeks, ScubaPro, Zeagle, even Mares would be fine for almost any diving - pick which ever you are the most comfortable using. I have Apeks for no good reason - I would have been just as happy with any of the other equivalent standard regs.

Aside: the Zeagle flathead 6 is not identical to tx100, although it looks very similar. The seat design on the 1st stage is different.

Mike

Originally posted by Se7en

Aside: the Zeagle flathead 6 is not identical to tx100, although it looks very similar. The seat design on the 1st stage is different.

Mike

So which do you like better, and why?

:confused:

I like the TX100... because it's the one I own :)

I've not used the Zeagle at all, I just happened to be chatting to a Dive wholesaler about regs, and he showed me a zeagle he had apart and said it was better than the tx100 because of the design of the first stage seat. I think one is conical, and one is knife edged - but can't remember which is which :rolleyes:

He was also trying to sell me the zeagle, as he knew that I needed a second set of regs... so I took the 'better' with a grain of salt and remembered 'different'. :)

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom