Apeks vs Atomics

Which brand do you prefer?

• Atomic Aquatics

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Apeks

Votes: 57 64.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got an Apeks 200 with out an octopus what would you rec. for a octopus. My about to be backup rig is an apeks ATX 20/20 would the 20 octopus be ok or should I spring for a new octopus and leave my 20/20 intact? Should the octopus be a 40 or 50?

Your octo should be good enough to help you or your buddy end the dive safely. Considering secondary air sources today (both of my BCDs have integrated alternate air - Zeagle Ranger LTD has a ScubaPro Air2/SeaQuest Pro Unlimited has an AirSource) these regulators are really bad quality actually. But they're not intended for diving on - just saving a life. Considering this, most octo's are actually decent regulators even better than the integrated sources. The Apeks TX series alternate air sources are ok.

Sorry this was so wordy, but what I'm trying to say is any reg from a quality source, serviced annually, will prove adequate should you or your buddy ever need it.
:gotcha:

I've had my Atomic B1/T2 for 4 years. I love it. I tried the Apeks ATX 200 recently and found it be a good reg but I'm sticking with the Atomic. It breathes great and I only need to get it serviced every 2 years. I've never had a problem with it and for the diving I do (down to about 120) it's about perfect. The Apeks was very good but I still think the Atomic Breathes better. Just my opinion. I don't think you would go wrong with either brand. But if I was going to buy an Apex I would spend the extra money on the ATX200. I believe in buy the best you can afford.

Scott

I agree, I like the atomics better. I tried an Atomic B1/T1 and an Apeks ATX100, and in my opinion the Atomic seemed to breath better. Of course in the end I bought a Scuba Pro Mk25/S600. For the price comparison you really can't beat it and Rodales sure thinks it is tops.

I use a Zeagle First Stage with and Apecks adjustable 2nd.

The 2nd stage of any regulator is what creates the ease of breathing. The Zeagle First Stage is an "over compensating" first that bumps up the intermediate stage pressure as one dive deeper.

:doctor:

I can't believe how easy it is to breathe. It is so smooth you don't even know it' s there. Give it a try if you can.

I can speak for the one I trust with my life and that is the apeks ATX 200 I tried several atomics even though they wear rated recently over the apes by a recect test. I still believe they wear wrong my self having tried both at both at depth of 130 feet so my answere is apeks

The warranty includes the lifetime parts... that's $40.00cdn at the shop that I work for, each year... one rebuild/year under warranty. How long will it take for you to save the difference? how long do you keep your regs before moving up... and when you go Apeks, who do you go to to move up?
Dan.

I was in a LDS this weekend and they had both Apeks and Atomics hanging on the wall.

The tech swore by the Atomics. He said they breathed very well, even at depth. I was looking at the M1 in particular.

I'm still a little partial to Apeks, though :D. I'll still take Atomics into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom