Apeks xtx 200 vs. xtx 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heyhey, what are the practical/aesthetic differences between these two regs ? The 200 is (on average) $100 more... , do the differences justify the extra $100?

The only difference between the second stages is cosmetic -- literally a couple of stickers.

The XTX200 comes with the FSR first stage. It has a removable HP valve seat. Theoretically, if the valve seat gets damaged, you could replace it.

The XTX100 comes with the FST first stage. It has a non-removable HP valve seat. If the valve seat gets damaged, you have to replace the entire valve body. Still, this isn't an issue so long as you are somewhat careful during disassembly/cleaning/reassembly phases of the overhaul.

I guess it's worth mentioning that the dimensions of the first stage and angle of ports are slightly different between the FSR and FST.

Performance-wise, there is probably not an appreciable difference. Both are excellent regs.

The burning question you have to answer is: Should you pay an extra $100 to get the Apeks "top of the line" reg?

If you want to save a few more bucks, consider getting the XTX50 which is typically packaged with either the DST (swivel turret) or DS4 first stages. The FSR, FST, DST, and DS4 are all environmentally sealed first stages.

Would it be possible to get two xtx 50's and put them on a FST 1st stage ?

What would I be sacrificing by going this route ?

Also, DS4 vs FST 1st stages? ... both enviro-sealed... FST has 1 more HP port? any other diff?

Would it be possible to get two xtx 50's and put them on a FST 1st stage ?
Why not? Mix and match all you like. I'm sure the Apeks dealer will be more than happy to accommodate you.
What would I be sacrificing by going this route ?
There's very little difference among the XTX200, XTX100, and XTX50 second stages. The XTX200/50 has a shiny chrome valve spindle, whereas the XTX100 has a satin-finish valve spindle. The adjustment knobs match the valve spindle. The XTX200/100 case cover is slightly different cosmetically from the XTX50. With respect to second stages, you aren't sacrificing anything at all by going with the XTX50.

My Apeks reg setup is ATX100/ATX50/FST. I think I spent an extra $10 to get the ATX100 instead of another ATX50. I wish I had that $10 back. In my mind, there's no difference in the way the second stages breathe. I like the hose routing on the FST, although I'm sure the DS4 or DST would have been just fine since I only dive a single tank rig. If you dive doubles, then you should probably pay more attention to port locations and hose routing.
Also, DS4 vs FST 1st stages? ... both enviro-sealed... FST has 1 more HP port? any other diff?
The DS4 has a shiny chrome finish, whereas the FST has a satin finish. As you pointed out, the FST has 2 HP ports and the DS4 only has one. I have no personal experience with testing out the DS4. The FST works great and is very easy to overhaul. From looking at parts diagrams, servicing the DS4 would also be very straightforward. No bad choices within the Apeks line.

am using the 200 and 50 octo. absolutly no difference. Cosmetics is all it is really.

How about XTX50 with DS4. These are favored by a lot of tech folk. I've got ATX100 and XTX200. I'm going to order a couple of DS4's and throw my ATX100 and XTX200 on them for my doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom