Apex Dump Valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because you dont need one and they leak in fill up with undergaments and don't leak out.

I've removed the valve and noticed that the grove and valve were not properly aligned to begin with. Made sure it was aligned this time and put the valve back and it didn't leak today! Yay!

Sounds like you got it figured out....

But I was going to mention to make sure it's the valve. I was convinced that my valve was leaking so I replaced it (it was glued on there from DUI and a huge pain in the ass!)....turned out I was still leaking in the exact same place. I did multiple leak tests and finally found that my zipper is going (back zip, ends just behind the valve) :(

But when it really is the valve, cleaning it out seems to help....especially if you get sand in there. If all else fails, valves are cheap and easy to replace.

It is really funny as this is the first time since I got the drysuit last year that it was completely dry. In the past I was bit damp near the exhaust valve but I attributed it to the fact I pressed the button or had it completely open (vs. 4 clicks I usually have and I turn it 4 clicks under water and I also check under water before I start to ascent that it is open but for 4 clicks).

So it went from really minor inconvenience to medium inconvenience to no inconvenience :) plus I've learned something in the process :)

I realize that this thread is about the Apeks drysuit exhaust valve and that the OP has fixed the issue. That's great! I'm making this post to help out any other folks who might be having leaky exhaust valve issues.

A while back, I had some leak issues with a different brand exhaust valve (Si-tech) and a customer service representative offered a few helpful hints in dealing with it. These tips might also be applicable to other brands:
  • Have you done a leak test on the suit? Are there any bubbles from the attachment area of the suit? If so, this may be a Valve Port issue. Is the valve tight and attached properly?
  • Could the leak be coming from the suit material, the dry zipper, or wrist/neck seal?
  • Is the valve clean? Have you tried rinsing the the valve after it has been disconnected from the suit? You are doing a "backwash" of sorts. Often, when a valve starts leaking after this period of time, it is an issue where debris has worked it's way into the seating area and a simple rinse from the inside out may be the answer. You can always do a "field test" after by gently pursing your lips over the threaded area of the valve and inhaling gently to make sure the valve is retaining it's water-tight integrity. Be sure to follow the attachment and tightening instructions afterward.
Some people have attempted full disassembly of the exhaust valve with success. It should be noted that this could void any manufacturer's warranty that might be in place.
I'm not sure what kind of warranty Apeks offers its drysuit customers. Si-tech offers a 3 year manufacturer's warranty on their drysuit exhaust and inflater valves. For North America service, the Si-tech valve should be sent to the following address with a letter explaining the issue:

Ocean Equipment
P.O. Box 325
Powell River BC
Canada V8A 5C2

I hope that this helps other drysuit divers out there.

Have fun...

hi so what do you do when it is a brand new suit [made for measure] and it leaks at the chest [that apex valve has already been replaced but still leaking] and its also leaking bad on my left arm where the shoulder dump is???

hi so what do you do when it is a brand new suit [made for measure] and it leaks at the chest [that apex valve has already been replaced but still leaking] and its also leaking bad on my left arm where the shoulder dump is???

Have you had the suit leak tested?

Usually, when the valve has been replaced, and it is still leaking, the problem is not the valve, but the suit.

You have a new suit? have you ever done a dive and finished completely dry? if not, then I would suggest you start looking somewhere else for the problem. Are there suit seams near? is it round by the zip?

A quick leak test will sort this out for you.

Jon

suit has now gone back for the 3rd time, no i havent done a dry dive all 5 dives have been wet. they are going to repace both the apexs with sitech, and i have said if this doesnt work then i want another suit made. they have pressure tested it and its fine, and they are a very good company this isnt their usual standard of suits so i have no idea whats happened this time, but im not happy,

Back
Top Bottom