Apocalypse Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My main instructor has one. I think hollis bought Steam Machines, and that they're working on the Prism 2, but I never payed too much attention too it, so That may not be completely accurate. I'm sure someone else can give better details.

whtever happend to steam machines prism???? that was my favorite when i was on the hunt a couple years ago. now i dont see any info on them

Between my wife and I we own four. Steam Machines is still with us.

My main instructor has one. I think hollis bought Steam Machines, and that they're working on the Prism 2, but I never payed too much attention too it, so That may not be completely accurate. I'm sure someone else can give better details.

Hollis bought the design of the PRISM from SMI and has been working on the PRISM 2 for some time now. The biggest issue seems to be making the transition from what is essentially a hand built rebreather to one that can be mass produced from injection molded parts.

You can buy the Prism 2 now, it's available---don't know too much else about it though:

Hollis Prism 2 Rebreather - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Curious. AFAIK Hollis hasn't released the unit yet.

If you're curious about it, go read the rebreatherworld forums. I'm not sure what the mods have and haven't removed, but there's more than you could possibly want to know there. But pretty much everything that's been said so far has been the case.

Last I looked it seems the entire sub-forum for the Apoc was removed. I also had the impression that one of the other manufacturers ( and a RBW advertiser) was pissed of that the company that [-]makes[/-] may eventually sell the Apoc supports maintaining the European Union safety standards at there current level, where the provisional replacement to the EU standard has less stringent safety requirements. Basically, IIRC none of the available rebreathers fully meet the current ratified standard ( EN14143:2003) so there is a push to lower the requirements (prEN14143:2009).

... Basically, IIRC none of the available rebreathers fully meet the current ratified standard ( EN14143:2003) so there is a push to lower the requirements (prEN14143:2009).

It's my understanding that the rEvo III is the only rebreather that meets the current standards, and I can say first hand that the WOB is a major step forward. It's the first mCCR that meets current CE which is a good thing to finally see, as I thought it very ironic to the point of illegitimizing CE that the one style of rebreather that seems to be standing the test of time in terms of fatalities wasn't even eligible for CE.

As for the Apoc thing, it seems somewhat typical of rebreathers in that is has been in design for years, like the Apex 3 meg. what made it unusual was that they were able to stir up enough interest to get a bunch of pre-orders, long before the final production was/is complete and then there were the snags which seem to persist.

Only time will tell if it will ever come to be. A manual has recently been released for it and can be found on the web site, maybe it's just another come-on.

things on RBW got so toxic on apoc threads that it started to infect the community with so many posts of mindless drivel that the overall content began to suffer and otherwise good friends began creating serious vendettas.

My take is that anyone who places money down on a pre-order for something that is not in production really needs to be prepared for just about anything, including never seeing their money or the unit. It's also possible that the nay sayers actually created a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, possibly damaging the company enough that it can't finish the job because it was too dependent on a flow of pre-order money that has surely come to a halt. It's also possible that the whole thing is a sham.

Yet another possibility is that the threat of a mass produced rebreather for a fraction of what everyone else charges was so threatening to the status quo manufacturer that it's been ganged up on. Certainly there are those who benefit from the small cottage industry niche of the current market, charging many times more for small production parts than what they could charge if they were mass produced by larger industry.

Only time will sort this out. I think competition is good, that inovation is good and that if the Apoc eventually contributes to the evolution of rebreathers then great... if it turns out to be a sophisticated scam then those responsible should be hunted down, publicly humiliated and whatever else someone can think of as a just punishment.

g

It's my understanding that the rEvo III is the only rebreather that meets the current standards, and I can say first hand that the WOB is a major step forward.
The rEvo III does meet the prEN14143:2009 standard, but unless something has changed in the last few months the prEN14143:2009 standard is not yet approved, it's still provisional. But a minor point, especially to me as the US hasn't enacted such rules for rebreathers.
It's the first mCCR that meets current CE which is a good thing to finally see, as I thought it very ironic to the point of illegitimizing CE that the one style of rebreather that seems to be standing the test of time in terms of fatalities wasn't even eligible for CE.
I agree, it seems that too many safety rules assume the user isn't following procedure. These rules seemed to require eCCR so the designers didn't have to assume the user knew what they are doing.

As for the Apoc thing, it seems somewhat typical of rebreathers in that is has been in design for years, like the Apex 3 meg. what made it unusual was that they were able to stir up enough interest to get a bunch of pre-orders, long before the final production was/is complete and then there were the snags which seem to persist.

Only time will tell if it will ever come to be. A manual has recently been released for it and can be found on the web site, maybe it's just another come-on.

things on RBW got so toxic on apoc threads that it started to infect the community with so many posts of mindless drivel that the overall content began to suffer and otherwise good friends began creating serious vendettas.

My take is that anyone who places money down on a pre-order for something that is not in production really needs to be prepared for just about anything, including never seeing their money or the unit. It's also possible that the nay sayers actually created a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, possibly damaging the company enough that it can't finish the job because it was too dependent on a flow of pre-order money that has surely come to a halt. It's also possible that the whole thing is a sham.

Yet another possibility is that the threat of a mass produced rebreather for a fraction of what everyone else charges was so threatening to the status quo manufacturer that it's been ganged up on. Certainly there are those who benefit from the small cottage industry niche of the current market, charging many times more for small production parts than what they could charge if they were mass produced by larger industry.

Only time will sort this out. I think competition is good, that inovation is good and that if the Apoc eventually contributes to the evolution of rebreathers then great... if it turns out to be a sophisticated scam then those responsible should be hunted down, publicly humiliated and whatever else someone can think of as a just punishment.

g
I almost wish I had put a deposit down on one. If the Apoc does nothing more than spur the development of safer rebreathers by other companies, I feel it would be worth the $1000, even if Open Safety/Deep Life never deliver units to consumers.

i was one of the idiots that paid the deposit for the vapor ware i also have a prism (should have just bought another but im waiting for the hollis prism 2 (it will come out eventually ) i love my prism works like a house on fire dive it all the time never let me down ,,,,,,,,,,,,,but who knows what the future has for whats going to be comming out in the next few years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom