Apollo Prestige/Dive Rite, APS Mantaray/Hollis F2 fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been thinking about replacing my Jet fins with something lighter & have heatd good things about Dive Rite's fins. I know that they're based on the Apollo Prestige fins, but were they ever sold under another brand/name? For example, SP Jet fins and Aqua Lung Rocket fins are basically the same; did Apollo ever "OEM" the Prestige under another brand?
I've also looked at the APS Mantaray/Hollis F2 fins & the Sherwood Triton fins. I've never used them & would hate to spend $$ on a fin that I end-up hating!
FWIW-I do mainly wreck dives, so the dives can be deep w/ strong current. I may switch to side mount very soon, too.
Any insight, info etc. is appreciated!!

---------- Post added November 19th, 2015 at 01:11 PM ----------

I should add that $$ is a concern; I looked for a used pair of Apollos but c/n find any. I saw several fins that LOOKED a lot like the Prestige fins, & it made me think that it might be possible to find a pair used for very little $$. I found one listing for the APS, but they were sold.
My LDS recomended the Tritons; they claim that they're similar to the Jet fins (good in current & very maneuverable) but not as heavy!

Thanks

The Apollo Prestige fin molds were sold to DIVE-RITE when the Apollo Bio-Fin was introduced.

The Dive-Rite fin is a great paddle fin. It uses fine materials and added the spring strap.

Apollo Prestige fins were never OEM'ed under another brand name.

If you want the real deal its @ DIVE-RITE.

why do you want lighter fins? Keep in mind this will alter your trim characteristics in the water. Something worth keeping in mind. They're great for sidemount, but if you're in doubles, or have a BP/W with singles, the jet fins are usually much easier to trim out. I love my Dive Rites though, spectacular fin

If u like your SP Jet fins, take a look if it's made in taiwan. If it is, then there is a very high possibility u could get the exact same fins with 1/2 price under a different brand.

I've been searching around for information on the Aropec fins which look exactly like the SP Jet Fins which is sold by one of the LDS is Malaysia. The LDS told me it is slightly lighter than the SP Jet Fins(made in USA) he has. And he also mentioned that for don't what reason, Aropec uses the SP Jet fins mould, that's why they look exactly the same other than the logo.

Then as I was reading Scubaboard for information, a forum member came up and told that the SP jet fins are no longer produced in USA and is made in Taiwan now. The material is softer but the finishing is somehow better.

Another member somehow pointed out that SP is selling a fin that looks exactly like the Aropec fins which were produced much earlier before SP advertised it.

So, I was convinced that both the company is swapping their product and rebadging their product to be sold to different market.

I could be wrong though. But worth a look into the Aropec if you have time.

Forgive me if my assumptions are wrong.

I, too, am a fan of DR. I love my Transpac II w/ Rec wings! I want a lighter fin for a couple of reasons...one reason is travel...I may be going on a dive trip to Fl. in Jan. Another reason is trim; maybe (MAYBE??) it has something to do with the weight that I gained, but I had a bit of trouble keeping a proper "feet-up" position on my last dive & thought that removing some weight from my feet may help.
Thanks!!

My Taiwanese Jets and USA jets were definitely not the same, the Taiwanese Jets were significantly softer i.e. less stiff. If you don't need the weight the XTs are a very nice fin, unfortunately after about 40 mins they make my feet go numb, the size is correct I think it might be because I have high arches, I have swapped out various sized springs but to no avail, shame.

Tbone took the words right out of my mouth....the Dive Rite's are a rather long fin and I personally haven't been able to get mine into an acceptable carry on bag. While they are amazing fins, just bear in mind when traveling with them you'll most likely be checking a bag.

I must confess that although I have a Fl. trip planned, I do not travel very much; I shouldn't worry too much about size. I found a pair of Apollo Prestige (DRs are based on these??) for $15, so I'll probably buy them. If I don't like them I'll sell them.
Thanks!!

not based on, Lamar bought the Prestige molds and is using them for the DR fins. There have been a few resin changes but I think they're back to the original, don't quote me on that. The DR fins come with spring straps which is a nice upgrade, but for $15, if they fit, I'd buy them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom