Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting reliability context - 58 pages:

View attachment 810433

And yet, almost zero of the reports are the equivalent of “I went to dive it and it just wouldn’t work”.

I myself have had multiple Teric repairs, yet I have never missed a dive or had a dive cut short because of my Teric. I just sent it in for repair because the battery was discharging more quickly than it’s supposed to, while stored.

A far cry from “I was stuck on the start page and it wouldn’t go into dive mode” or “my subscription was paid, but the watch said it wasn’t and wouldn’t operate as a dive computer.”

And yet, almost zero of the reports are the equivalent of “I went to dive it and it just wouldn’t work”.

I don't think you read through all 58 pages of Teric problems in that thread. Many more reports of Teric problems here than AWU problems. Which is expected at this stage.

Also- a *ton* more Teric problems here at Scubaboard:

And- lots of Perdix problems here:

And- let's not forget Suunto:

"suunto" problem issue site:scubaboard.com - Google Suche

Why- it's almost as if the AWU isn't the only DC that's "totally unreliable"! :wink:

I don't know how Teric works but I just finally caught up my hardcopy dive log with my AW. Each log entry includes a map of where the dive occurred -- that made recalling where I was for each dive a lot easier! I only true up about every 50-100 dives. That is a great feature.

I don't think you read through the 58 pages of Teric problems in that thread. Many more reports of Teric problems than AWU problems. Which is expected at this stage.

Also- a *ton* more Teric problems here at Scubaboard:

And- lots of Perdix problems here:

And- let's not forget Suunto:

"suunto" problem issue site:scubaboard.com - Google Suche

Why- it's almost as if the AWU isn't the only DC that's "totally unreliable"! :wink:

As a matter of fact, I have read every single post in that thread.

As a matter of fact, I have read every single post in that [58-page Teric problems] thread.

That's quite a time investment- I'm curious about what motivated you. EDIT - I noticed that you have a Teric.

And of the 172 SB Teric owners who voted, over half had problems. What the hell is going on with all those Terics?

I'm reading through this purely for entertainment purposes.

I bought my first dive computer a decade after I learned to dive and I will admit, I bought an Oceanic something-or-other just because an instructor who I knew had one and she seemed to love it so much. Of course, I sold it immediately when an Australian 20-something who listened to something called EDM offered me two thirds of what I paid for it. I didn't even think about it, I was happy to upgrade back to my plastic PADI dive table. Maybe his preference of music made him actually enjoy the beeping. I hated having to press a button for more data everytime I looked at it too. That thing was awful. Maybe I could have figured out how to change settings or something but I absolutely hated that thing to the point I never bought anything "Oceanic" ever again and to this day.

I'm a recreational diver and I only dive a couple times a day and I know all my local sites, so a Casio watch is fine for me these days. But I am in the market for a dive computer again as they are likely more than just status symbols by now. I am eager to travel again and want to have it easy. I'm looking for one with a not so conservative algorithm that is rechargeable and might last at least 10 years. I would love some advice but I'm also an opinionated jerk according to my wife.

I think Apple phones are kind of like status symbols for a lot of people. I don't mean they aren't good phones, but it's like how dive watches were back when my dad was smoking pot. It began as a niche product for, well, divers. It must have caught on because of the ingress protection making them nigh impervious to being ruined by one vigorously washing hands among other activities. Who knows how many old watches were destroyed by a little water? Over time, shiny dive watches became status symbols. In fact, divers don't buy many dive watches these days but you can bet lawyers and executives wear them.

Among novice divers, it seems to me that fancy dive computers are sort of like status symbols too. Part of the process by which divemaster interns size up hostel dwelling Euro-hippy backpackers is a glance at the wrist while quoting prices for the Advanced Open Water course. The guy with the SUUNTO D6 was obviously cool and could probably stay under for over an hour and still have some air left to make a loud annoying blast on the boat during the surface interval.

Maybe Tim Cook figures he ought to get into it before Casio does. And why the hell doesn't Casio make a dive computer?

"Maybe Tim Cook figures he ought to get into it before Casio does."

To Apple, the DC market is a tiny niche & I suspect they had no desire to enter it – but they *did* need to round out their watch product line with a higher-end "adventure" & exercise model – to avoid ceding that territory to Garmin in the increasingly important wearables sector. Not to mention Google's recent acquisition of Fitbit.

Giving DC features to the the AWU was necessary for larger goals. That's my theory at least.

The Apple Watch series two ultra won't have AI. I can say this with certainty because when a product with a radio is to be made available for sale in the US, it must be tested by a government agency called the FCC. All technical details regarding communication are publicly available here for the Apple Watch Series 2 ultra: FCC ID BCG-A2986 Apple Watch by Apple Inc.. As you can see, the lowest frequency it can communicate on is 13MHz (NFC). The next lowest is 699MHz, and so on - up to 60GHz.

Hoseless AI transmitters use the Low-Frequency band (30kHz-300kHz) because that's what will travel through water fairly well. There's no unlicensed use lower than LF. For example, the Shearwater swift transmitters use 38kHz. Unlicensed use means the person using the product doesn't have to purchase a license from the FCC.

Maybe some future Apple watches will have such a feature, but this one does not.

Back
Top Bottom