Suggestion April Fools went too far

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ohmdiver

ohmdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This past 4/1 the mods decided to allow certain controls to be turned of to help play a joke on the rest of us. (I am pointing directly at the
"Pssst...lets talk about them while they are not here" thread in Humor forum)
In a pm to me I was accusesed of personally attacking someone.

I fell for the joke and unintentionally caused someone else some pain.
For causing someone else pain I am truelly sorry.

In my pm to the person who clued me in, I asked if anyone else was asked to apologize for undue pain caused by this joke?

Does anyone else think this joke went to far? or had the potential to go too far?
Is anyone else feel any undue pain because of this "joke" thread?

It's not that I didn't like "it." I never saw "it." I don't even know what "it" was other than everyone saw their own screen name in certain places around the board. I wasn't on the board at all yesterday, I went diving - no silly pranks on the boat or underwater. All I'm saying is April Fool's Day is fun for little kids. Once you've grown up, there are lots of playful things that are much more fun. I don't see the need to indugle in infantile behavior. Besides, no one should trust anything on April 1, it's the absolute worst day to try to put things over folks. I also made the point that if people were hurt by pranks, then the pranks weren't funny. If you hurt someone, you should be remorseful and try to make it right. The fact it was a joke doesn't excuse you from causing pain. Jokes should always be fun, never hurtful.

I think what I would add to Walter's post is that "it" went on a tad too long. That's just my opinion and it might not be worth a plug nickel to many.

I love a good joke but generally not the ones that last an entire day.

It's over now and the fun's been had.

Footslogger:
I love a good joke but generally not the ones that last an entire day.
All themes run for 36 hours.

Starting in New Zealand, ending in Hawai'i.

DandyDon's avatar is still a "Pussycat" on my screen.....

Walter:
It's not that I didn't like "it." I never saw "it." I don't even know what "it" was other than everyone saw their own screen name in certain places around the board. I wasn't on the board at all yesterday, I went diving - no silly pranks on the boat or underwater. All I'm saying is April Fool's Day is fun for little kids. Once you've grown up, there are lots of playful things that are much more fun. I don't see the need to indugle in infantile behavior. Besides, no one should trust anything on April 1, it's the absolute worst day to try to put things over folks. I also made the point that if people were hurt by pranks, then the pranks weren't funny. If you hurt someone, you should be remorseful and try to make it right. The fact it was a joke doesn't excuse you from causing pain. Jokes should always be fun, never hurtful.
The point is, Walter, that no one person was singled out. It just seemed that way. No one was "hurt" unless they chose to be. I thought it (El Orans' code) was quite clever. Not infantile at all. The fact that so many people were fooled, especially on April 1, proves it was far more than a silly prank. It was brilliant. And I find it hard to believe that someone like yourself, with your grasp of logic and general down-to-earth attitude, could pass judgment on something that you didn't see in action.

Oh, They got me good!!!!! I could not figure out at first what was happening. We had another dive fatality here yesterday and I logged on last night to see if anyone was out here when it happened and needless to say it just wasn't the time or place to bring another recovery to anyones attention.
I am glad everyone had a good time and I do believe it was done in sickkkkkkkk but good spirit!!!

fairybasslet:
. I thought it (El Orans' code) was quite clever. Not infantile at all. The fact that so many people were fooled, especially on April 1, proves it was far more than a silly prank. It was brilliant.

I agree. It was a good clean fun.

I suppose people can take it the wrong way, but as someone mentioned earlier, just look around a bit and it doesn't take much to realize it was merely a joke.

Wasn't it last year they made everyone moderators? Got to give credits for originality!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom