Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it even worth posting a review as there are so many already..well OK.
Of course! Your insight and feedback are important not just to the divers who might want to try this system, but also to the manufacturers as they try to figure out their next step.

I got one 3 months ago and then spent a month on Roatan diving it. Loved it the minute I got in the water. BOOM, trimmed out perfectly without using trim weights. The valve strap is nice as well because you can adjust your trim if you need to just by tightening or loosening it. The tank band sits lower on the unit as well as it takes all the weight off of your shoulders and puts it on your waist. The i3 unit itself is stupidly easy to use and as I was doing a lot of filming, it was nice to be able to add or ditch air from the same position without having to move anything other than a finger. The construction of it was a nice surprise as well. It looks easily twice as rugged as the Mares I used to own. If I had to have one complaint it would be that of the two dump valves on the bladder, only the shoulder valve comes with a pull cord. For $600 you'd think they could have thrown in that little bit of string and plastic to complete the unit.

Have fun on your trip and enjoy your new toy.

My review - AL Di3 is wonderful in cold water situations, where the extra weight pockets add more flexibility to the trimming, when wearing something thicker than 3mil.
Easy to remove weights to hand off to a person in the boat, making getting back on board easier.

There's a woman's version which Sylvie adores, is much smaller than mine, so when traveling, she brings hers, and I use the much smaller (for warm water & travel) Stiletto.

One thing to note - should you want to ditch your weights in an emergency, because they are in custom pockets, if you want to "keep" your pockets, you need to remove using the plastic handle, undo the velcro, ditch the weights, put back on/in vest (depending on emergency).

I'm sure that in an emergency, time/stress, most people (myself included) would simply remove & drop. Thus requiring replacement weight pockets.
The Stiletto, for comparison, you remove a cord (ripcord) and the weights fall out of the vest.

So for the i3 style, +1 convenience of giving weights to person on board the boat, making you lighter to climb back in; similar to what most people do when wearing a weight belt.

With a Stiletto and if using the vest to hold the weights, there's no way to hand them off, for an easier climb.

IOW, a plus for the AL Di3, and if you're in an emergency and ditch your weights, I know I wouldn't care spending some $$$ to replace those weight pockets. It's a last-resort move anyways.

For Scubafied : I find being perfectly vertical (sitting position) to purge air before ascension easier than the "superman" or "flying" position. Like that I know all the air is out, ascend to safety, then trim at safety if required - which is rare - I'm usually slightly negative BC fully empty @ 1/3 air in tank.

Scubafied : how do you like emptying of water the AL Di3, compared to other BC's you've had?

I found the AL Di3 easier to "empty" using the manual inflation hose.

I use breath control for my ascent and ditch air as required on the way up. This allows me to stay just on the slightly positive side of neutral but gives me the ability to exhale quickly or use the deflate lever to arrest my ascent if it were to get out of control. I once had the same surfacing routine that you have but as I have progressed I have learned that the way I now do it gives me quite a bit more control and uses less air as I don't ever have to deflate and then inflate again to get neutral at my safety. My main reason for staying trim through the ascent is that it allows me to look around without having to spin. If I need to see something behind me I merely drop my head and look backwards versus having to skull or kick to turn around and see that dolphin racing past.

As for rinsing the bladder, I usually fill it with a decent amount of water, shake it around to rinse well and then I use both dump valves and the manual inflation hose to empty the water (turning it to give each one a 2-3 second flush through. This allows the dump valves to get a thorough rising of any salt or other contaminants and will help extend the life of the BC.

If you find yourself in an emergency, "keeping" those pockets is going to be the last thing on your mind. :wink: I actually bought an extra set anyways as there are a lot of different ways I have seen them disappear, not just in emergency scenarios.

My boyfriend and I just traded the jacket style BCD's we bought when getting certified for a Dimension and Lotus...both of which have the I3 control. So far, we are very impressed. The BCD's are incredibly comfortable and easily adjusted to fit. The tank is stable and sits in a great position. And I find that the I3 is very easy to get used to...within the first dive I was comfortable with it. I also love the octo pocket and hose routing option. They make it super easy to stream line your regs, computer etc. The material that the inflator hose is made of does seem a little cheap but I personally think it is easier to inflate the BCD with this hose than my old one. The BCD is lighter than my old jacket style so I had to add a bit of weight but that's no biggie. The only complaint I have (and it is a minor one) is that the strap at the top is a little small so I never feel comfortable carrying it around by that. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and have no regrets! Good Luck!

I was trying to decide between the dimension 13 and Zeagle Stiletto. I tried them both an although I Ioved the dimension I always travel to dive I live in freaking Utah and like warm tropical waters). The Dimension is huge to pack whereas the Zeagle packs like a dream. That was the only downside I observed,

I just want to say that your feedback has been very valuable to me. I have my last dive tomorrow before I am officially certified and can't wait to get my hands on the Dimension i3. Should have it by the end of the week and will try to give feedback from the perspective of a newbie as soon as I am able to get a few more dives in.

Thanks again everybody!!!

Ed

Thanks to all for the opinions! Very simply I am interested in this BC because I think it is a cool new idea and progression. I am a newer diver who finds myself making frequent minor adjustments to my buoyancy. A shoulder hose, sometimes, is not the easiest to make these minor frequent adjustments. I had been told this model or one similar (I believe Mares has one if anyone has used that) would likely be perfect for me but no one I know actually has used it. I would love to hear more from people who have used this BC or one like it. I would like to know all the positives and negatives.

In terms of me as a diver I tend to prefer reef dives, no deeper than 80ft. I also live in California and love diving in the Kelp forests. If anyone has any other BC recs that would be appreciated as well!

I currently have the MARES version I have had it now for most of my almost 10 years of diving, and I have to say I never got on with the standard over the shoulder hose dump, it is great for small adjustments, my BC is now coming to its slow end of life and I am now thinking of getting this i3 myself, the systme Ithink is a great idea. hope that helps

I have a 100 dives on my Dimension i3 and love it. I hate having to hold up my inflator hose to let out air. Having the LPI at the side plus the 2 exhaust valves at the shoulder and lower left back make it so I can let out air if I am in pretty much any position. It has 1 large pocket and zipper on the right which is useful. Plenty of D-rings to attach all my accessories which I found incredibly useful. The adjustable sternum straps comes in handy when I use my drysuit so it is not in the way of my inflator hose. I find it extremely comfortable and has quite a large air bladder. The oral inflator is stowed nicely on the right shoulder, I like that too. Some one said they thought that was low quality but I thought it was fine! Chances are you wont use it anyways.

Cons: As with all back inflate style BCs they have a tendency to lean you towards your stomach at the surface. I find that kind of annoying but deal with it. This BC is not compact, it takes up a lot of room in my dive bag. If you are looking for something in travel, not this one. Also, as an instructor, it is challenging to demo skills on. But with hand signals it has been fine. Last con is simply it is so different. When I used to teach the Rescue Diver course at my last dive shop, I did the whole course on a shop BC and then used my own i3 on the last day for Exercise 9. I "died" every time I did this because my students forgot to familiarize myself with my equipment (as a good rescue diver should). It tends to roll when you are on your back and the quick releases on the BC straps arent exactly "quick" if you dont know how to use them.

Overall, I would recommend the I3 for a more experienced diver. I think a new diver may have trouble managing it in the beginning. But overall, I love my BC.

I'm going to bump this as I have a question...

I recently got back into Diving when i moved to the Middle east - call me a whoose but I don't dip my toe in water less than 20 degrees C . I got involved with a local club here but needed my own kit. Being impulsive I went to the LDS - and after a chat nipped round with a trolley and fully kitted myself out. At my club everyone was raving about a BP/W (the frog, which I believe is a copy of the Halcyon?) Anyhow they need to be imported, I was in kind of a rush, but also I felt more comfortable with a conventional BC because that's what I was familiar with (then only 25 dives). I run and Aqualung wave - which is okay but I now see the disadvantages with it - so time to upgrade. I've been looking at the Dimension I3 but I also want some input on this vs a BP/W... We dive here every weekend, I run 15L Steel tanks, am 6'1 and 90kg (198lb) . As the sea is "cold" - (bear in mind we thing an air temp of 25C is not hot) I currently wear a 5mm full, a 4mm shorty, hood and boots and am running 26lbs of weight.. This year I'll also be doing a 2 week live-a-board in the Red Sae and a 10 days in the Maldives at Christmas - I note the issues people have noted about the inflator on boats

I don't want to go one way and regret not going another.. I've tried a frog and instantly didn't like it as it had no backplate padding - but that can be sorted. My girlfriend dives a Frog and loves it...

Having tried the Dimension on in the shop with a tank, it felt just so comfortable..

So opinions on the Dimension vs a BP/W please..

Back
Top Bottom