Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My brother has one of these, and I tried it out in Ft. Lauderdale and really liked it. Seems to be trim, less clustered. I love the inflator, and as others have said--it is in a nice spot and it feels natural using it after a few dives. Haven't had any problems with it, so I can't comment on many of the other aspects that some people are, but I like it and plan on getting one.

My brother has one of these, and I tried it out in Ft. Lauderdale and really liked it. Seems to be trim, less clustered. I love the inflator, and as others have said--it is in a nice spot and it feels natural using it after a few dives. Haven't had any problems with it, so I can't comment on many of the other aspects that some people are, but I like it and plan on getting one.
Well... if you're diving cold water, typically, as your location suggests, you'll also like the 52# wing...

Hi,

I had this BC purchased about a month ago and I have don about 25-30 dives with it. I love it and this is mainly because there is a place to put almost everything you need (except if you are doing tech diving or being used to carry a lot of stuff).

Pros:
- stable and streamlined
- routing the hoses through the BC
- additional pockets onto the back of the wing which I am using for adding extra weight (usually I dive with 4.5 or 5 kg at the Black Sea, but need extra weight for saltier Red Sea)
- I3 works well and it is intuitive
- Octo pocket is a nice addition and keeps my secondary in position
- I love the trident that holds to neck of the tank (valve) - easier to use than the regular Scubapro strap
- comfortable
- well built with diver comfort and accessibility in mind!

Cons:
- if leaving the full equipped rig onto the deck/shore, make sure you leave it directly onto the tank or on the side without the I3 lever. If not, chances are your BC will get accidentally get inflated (even so, it is my understanding there is an overpressure dump valve built into the BC (?))
- since both valves are on the right side of the BC for dumping air in some instances (even though both valves work simultaneously) I need to enter in a right sided position
- I've done some dives where I went thorough narrow places (in shore caves). In one instance there was enough space to squeeze myself in between the rocks and for a brief moment I heard the I3 pumping air into the wing.... not nice.... luckily I dumped all the air before I went into the crack and there were no problems. However... the thought of accidentally run into a celling stresses me (both because of the speed with which I am going up and for bumping into rocks....)
-even though there is a system to prevent water going in, some of it slips in (as we all expect probably). Not having the "normal" inflator, makes it harder to get the water out of it. I need to pump it up with air, put it upside down , squeeze it and pull de lever in the same time. It might piss somebody off (like me,)because it is not easy at all....
- if diving/trying with another regulator if I want to fell ok I need to take the LP inflator from my own and put it onto the new one, due to the increased hose lengths (otherwise it can bug one like a grain of sand into a condom)

What I would like to have on it:
- I'd like to have a third air dump valve
-I wish I could slip my octo easier through the back opening ... I am considering buying regulator QD, although I have my concerns about restricted air flow and the cold waters behavior....
- I wish there was a I3 protection around it to minimize the accidental activation (protection in general and in tight places like caves and why not ...wrecks)
- the Aqualung ABS octopus fits really wel into the the octo pocket... the problem is that this octo is not balanced therefore in cold waters is useless (I am considering here thermoclines under 10 Celsius) ... if this octo could be balanced and come up with a 120 cm lenghts (optional or not) it would be excellent for usng it onto the Dimension I3

Bottom line... I have it and I will not change it because I really feel good with it.

There are some things (like the ones described above) that you might wanna consider when buying this BCD, but then again it depends what are you doing with it and if you can live with some things...

Last edited:
I just recently purchased one, and for the feel and ease of use, I really like it. Plenty of lift for the cold water diving of PNW. However... my i3 unit is every so slightly leaking out of the body of the actual unit which is odd. It's not enough to cause any issues or consume air, more of just a nusance. So this thing is about 3 weeks old and I already have to send it back in for service which makes me definately second guess my decision on trying something "new", and aqualung for not just letting my LDS swap it out for a working unit since it's so new..

my i3 unit is every so slightly leaking out of the body of the actual unit which is odd. It's not enough to cause any issues or consume air, more of just a nusance.

It might not be leaking from the bladder itself. I've noticed air bubbling out of mine but it is nothing more than air that was trapped in the outer layers of material on the harness. I, another DM,and our instructor all dive these, and have all noticed it. I would inflate it, let it sit around for an hour and then see if it is still holding air.

It's not leaking from the bladder, it's leaking from under the rubberized piece that says i3 on the inflator body. The bladder itself holds air just fine..

Hi all I am thinking of getting a Aqua Lung Dimension i3 BCD or one similar. I like the idea of not having hoses at the shoulder to inflate and deflate. Has anyone used one of these? What do you think? Positives and negatives?

I just got one and I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

I just got one and I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

My wife has a i3 Aqualung Pearl and loves it. Myself I use a Mares Dragon with Airtrim which is very similar to the i3 but it's a pneumatic and doesn't use cables which the i3 does. My dragon is a bit to big/bulky to take on dive vacations so I have a Mares Icon that i take, but I've been considering changing that out and getting a Mens i3 bcd.

I have both the Zeagle Stiletto & the AL Dimension i3 - on both I have dived 20+ dives in all kinds of conditions, cold & warm.

I find the Stiletto better suited to warm water, or rather, the Dimension i3 better suited for cold water. Stiletto is smaller, can bend in two, is lighter for travel.

Some boat ops have wooden or fiberglass compartments for holding the tanks, while you put the BC on the tank. The i3 is easily activated.

In current conditions if you happen to float into something (coral, reef, dock) on the i3 side, it can be activated. I would prefer a shield over it.

Geez, there are such a large number of threads on this BC, I keep repeating myself.

I had seen it during my research on the internet but had decided to go with the Zeagle Stiletto. Went to the LDS to check out the Stiletto. Just retuned from my LDS with the Dimension i3. I made it to about page 5 of this forum on my phone while at the shop when I decided to pull the trigger. Thanks for all the comments. Will try it out in Cozumel end of Aug. Is it even worth posting a review as there are so many already..well OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom