Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was the second dive of the day with the same tank. Nothing (to my knowledge at least) was removed during the SI.

Yes he does run it through about halfway down the back to the inflator position. The thing I was talking about is take away that port location and make that hose part of the BC itself. Then you can add a small connection somewhere on the back or rear of the shoulder.

Yes he does have a redundant air source (safe second) on his i3 (which in my opinion also completely negates the whole streamlined concept of BOTH devices). I did not actually experience it, just witnessed him kneeling on the ground then saying he was going up. HIS description made it sound almost like a combination of problems.

It seemed as though one of the OPV's might have been loose as well, otherwise I can personally not think of a reason why the BC would LOSE air at a depth of 25 whole feet. perhaps it was a combination of the two?

I reference to NetDocs comment about operator error, I would not argue with that, however when someone is using a "traditional inflator" or even a safe second the can actually LOOK down and see the problem and fix it. However (at least my buddy) could not see it on his own due to its placement location.

I still am not convinced that this is the way to go, at least personally. I started out originally by stating that I could forsee potential problems and I still stand by that assessment at this poitn in time.
DevilDoc, I appreciate the clarification.

I see now what you mean about extending the inflator connection, to essentially move it away from the lever, and frankly that would be a good idea. However, it would have to be still within easy reach to disconnect in the event of a free-flow or some other such issue. I haven't had any issues with its location so far, and as someone else pointed out, being located on the rigid i3 device, it allows 1-handed detachment and attachment, which is almost impossible on a traditional inflator.

I also understand wanting to keep the SS1 (I dove one for years, and loved it -- only moved to traditional octos out of necessity for other reasons. However, you're right, it does somewhat compromise the streamlining that you accomplish with the i3 lever.

The OPV valves are also a bit different, in that they don't just vent in synch, but, they are also check valves. So Dimension divers will notice (as I did) that you have little, if any, water in your wing at the end of your dive. I suppose one could have been loose, however, if he was actually losing air, I'd have it checked.

Oh... and if AquaLung is listening, I have one more item on my wish list for the Dimension:

- I was getting a fill at my LDS about an hour ago, and one of the DM's was showing me the Balance he dives... and the trim weight pockets you have built in between the backplate and the wing, up high so you don't need a tank trim weight. AWESOME idea!!!! Why didn't you incorporate that into the Dimension? Just sayin'.... :wink:

Hey Barry,

Why this comment just out of curiosity? One of the things I love is the placement of the cam band, and I strongly suspect it has a lot to do with that comfortable "rides on the hips" feeling when walking on land? I do like the double band on my Zeagle, just because it feels really "secure" but it is kind of a pain in the butt to donn and doff.

I've never really liked those cam bands that sit so close to the neck of an AL80, but maybe that's just bad experience from my slip-everytime-I-did-a-surface-walk Mares that I used to dive.

Jeff
Hey Jeff... it's more a personal preference for two reasons:

1- If you read my above post, I hang a trim weight on the tank neck, because I'm foot heavy. So, one of the ways I counter that is to move the tank up high on the BC, and the cam band ends up being pretty low, with the tank strap actually helping to support the tank up top. Sooo... I would have liked to see the cam band a bit higher.
2- I also dive a Zeagle, which I'm also am very fond of. While I haven't had any issues at all with the Dimension cam band, simple logic dictates that two cam bands, like on my Zeagle, are more secure, and represent redundancy (and most any redundancy on your gear is a good thing -- well, almost... the SS1 on the Dimension is a bit overkill, IMO... YMMV).

Again, I love the Dimension... really do... on top of being well thought out, it's just a fun BC to dive... and that's what this is all about. However, I've got no problem adding my $.02 just in case someone's listening... (eh, TPHILLIP???)

from what I can see online the TUSA system appears to be ONLY a power deflator in addition to a regular inflator. Basically they add an extra button on the side of a regular power inflator that is an "automated purge assist."

Whereas the i3 has a lever that is up for more air, down for less air.

Those seem to be about the only differences I see...

I once dove with someone who used the i3 system and I asked him about. He seemed not to understand why I asked about it, and never explained to me how the system works. Needless to say he did not make good dive buddy.

Before I used the system I'd want to understand myself exactly how it works and the mechanism, and you need to inform you buddy.

Adam

Hatul,

Nice dive buddy! Everyone I have talked with that owns one really likes it. They loved anyone asking about it and spent loads of time explaining its virtues and drawbacks.

Hey Barry,

i'm foot heavy too and have been diving with the dimension, I just have a couple questions that I thought you could help me with.
1. since I'm foot heavy I tend to place the tank kinda high and on my recent dive trip the boat had quite a deep tank bucket. It caused the bc to actually hold the tank in place instead of having the tank resting at the bottom of the bucket. I tried adjusting the tank on my next dive (i didn't want to place an 'ackward' strain on the strap and bc due to a 'floating' tank in a bucket), but because of the tank strap being positioned kinda low...it didn't make any difference. do you think the bc can take that sort of a strain; crumpled and holding the weight of the tank like that?
2. I know the 2 fixed weight pockets on the tank strap is kind of low, but will it somehow have some effect on your trim like a trim weight would?
Thanks.

Hey ammar...

Well, this would be my take on your two questions:

1- I don't really believe the BC is in any danger of having an issue, however, letting it support the tank entirely, on the setup bench, by the bucket, could possibly lead to the wing/bladder getting pinched, and that could be a problem. Why not just loosen the cam band and raise it for the trips in and out to the dive site, and during the SI, so the tank can sit in the bucket, and when you're ready to splash, just lower, and tighten it...

2- Unfortunately, I think the trim weight pockets are too low if you're foot heavy -- at least they were for me. However, once I tie-wrapped a couple of 1-lb. soft weights around the tank strap (by the valve), instead of putting them in the trim pockets, my trim improved dramatically. I've ordered a 2lb. ankle weight, which I'll just clip around the neck of the tank as a permanent solution.

Hope that helps... good luck, and dive safe...

Thanks for your thought on the matter Barry. Yes the bladder does get pinched and I'll definitely be taking your advice on tightening the cam band just before getting into the water. I’m also going to try placing the weights closer to the tank neck and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Btw I love the i3, it’s strategically placed and in my personal opinion very easy to use. I was previously diving with the pro qd i3 and wanted to get a back inflated/wing type BC (after being given a chance to try out a couple), but was reluctant because I didn’t want to give up the i3. The incorporation of the I3 onto a back inflation BC was like a dream come true from me. :D

I looked at these a while back but I have to admit I like knowing I can replace my inflator on my BC cheap and in the field. My worry with these is on a long vacation such as in a country with limited parts or on a Liveaboard and the inflator breaks? Right now I can reach into my save-a-dive and ziptie a new one onto the BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom