Aqua Lung SolAfx 8/7mm wet suit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You CAN even do your OW course to be combined with a drysuit course, so you don't ever have to dive cold and wet, even on your OW checkout dives. I think a lot of OW courses in the UK are actually taught that way by default (OW and Drysuit combined into one course).

Thank you; I did not know that! I like that idea. I assumed, incorrectly, I would need to do the OW as a prerequisite to any other course; a weird college mindset that I didn't even think to question. I expected the water in CA to be warmer; and it is warmer "in season". When I looked at the current temps I got a bit of a chill running up my spine :) I have to admit the aqualung 7mm looks quite comfy and is supposed to be quite good -- I was impressed when I compared 7mm suits to 7mm suits. Outofofficebrb is a CA diver in S.F. and it is much colder there. From her profile pic she looks petite (and quite pretty); she is diving in colder water and doesn't have as much "natural" insulation as I hehehe. Yeesh, tough decision. While looking I was thinking I would still need a thinner suit because I want to dive where it is warmer too. I also have had my eye on dry suits, so that would make 3 suits and they aren't cheap. I'm wondering now if I should narrow it down to 2 and take the dry suit course with my OW -- so many choices :)

@tbeck3579 I did my drysuit specialty at the same time as OW. Just required one extra dive for drysuit, rather than two.

I've actually never dove wet yet! Although I did recently buy a 3mm for the summer when it's warm here and I didn't want to sweat to death trying to get into my drysuit at the quarry.

Thank you! If I had thought about you folks around the great lakes, and the various locations of people on this board, I would have realized the OW had to be done in a dry suit. I didn't really give it much thought until you, and stuartv mentioned it. I'm kicking myself for not doing this when I lived where it was cold; I would be a seasoned diver by now, but I associated diving with warm water. Odd how we make associations and then form beliefs that couldn't be further from the truth.

@Marie13 I saw the "P-valve" for ladies in a drysuit, and immediately thought, rut ro, sounds like a challenge. I can't imagine using a catheter and I also can't imagine doing that another way. I really need to research that. Okay, sigh, went to she-p.com (I could have lived my entire life without seeing that). That looks more than a little uncomfortable. Have you used one? I'm thinking 2 side mount huge tanks would be easier to get used, hehehehe

Okay, no fluids before diving... got it, hehehe

@tbeck3579 I'm writing up a PM to you.

Thank you Marie. I'm sitting here thinking about that hurdle -- adult diapers. I wouldn't have to "glue" them -- my goodness, a catheter would be less painful, hehehe.

Having a P valve is purely optional when you are only doing recreational dives. Dives limited by NDL and/or a single tank are generally short enough that a little forethought will save most people from really having to "go" during a dive.

It is when you start diving doubles and doing decompression that a P valve can become more of a necessity.

I really don't want to start out with doubles. It's not about the weight or physical exertion, it's about being comfortable in the beginning so I can not only learn, but enjoy.

I really don't want to start out with doubles. It's not about the weight or physical exertion, it's about being comfortable in the beginning so I can not only learn, but enjoy.

Right. You'll start out with a single tank, doing no-deco dives. So, they won't be long enough that you would be likely to NEED a P valve. Go before you suit up and you can hold it until you finish the dive and get out. Unless you have really tiny "tanks". ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom