Aquacat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the trip report. How was the condition of the reefs? Are they bleached like some had commented or are they in pretty good shape?

I thought they were in pretty good shape based on what I was expecting. Also visibility was never less and 90'-100' except at night.

@Saniflush, One more quick question ... I have heard that there is now a Goliath Grouper that hangs out on the Austin Smith Wreck now. Did you see it and how easy would it be to get a pic of it? (I have never seen one yet and that might be a highlight of the trip.)

Somehow I like 'Pig Beach' better than 'Pork Chop Caye.' Which might give people the wrong idea...
This beach is just around the corner from Staniel Key, which was fun and Thunderball grotto which was fantastic! Thunderball Grotto was featured in the James Bond flick: Thunderball and so was the Speigel Grove (in the closing credits).

@Hoag there is one that hangs out there although at this point it is not "Goliath" size. It is plenty big enough that it was taking a bite out of the chumsickle anytime it wanted to and none of the reef sharks messed with it. I had no problem snapping a couple of pictures of it. I have actually seen grouper that were two and three times it's size on the gulf coast around Panama City.

We were asked by the captain and dive master to call all dives at 1500psi and get on the boat with 1000psi

Really?? That's a lot of air to come back with. I'm used to liveaboards saying come back with no less than 500. I'm not liking that 1000 at all.

Really?? That's a lot of air to come back with. I'm used to liveaboards saying come back with no less than 500. I'm not liking that 1000 at all.

Well that's what we were asked to do the first night. I don't think they ever expected that. Even our DM led drift dives were running :45 minutes so it was pretty obvious they were not sticking to that statement. Also now I am thinking about it that was said before we had even made our first dive so that sounds more like the standard spiel you might hear beforehand.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that wasn't part of our intro spiel on the Aquacat (long time ago), I would have remembered something so silly.

Maybe they had a lot of new divers the week Saniflush went.

I can see let me know when you get to 1500 and we'll turn around and head back to the boat. Start your ascent at 1000...if there were a lot of newbies.

Maybe they had a lot of new divers the week Saniflush went.

I can see let me know when you get to 1500 and we'll turn around and head back to the boat. Start your ascent at 1000...if there were a lot of newbies.

Our LDS pretty well had the entire boat booked but to be fair only one or two people out of that group had been on before so to them we were all new divers. The only reason I remembered it was because I immediately thought "that I would be blowing past that". By the time we were a day into the dives all the DM's seemed to know that there was not gonna have to be a lot of hand holding.

I know this is an old thread but I just came back from the Aqua Cat Bahama trip which I mentioned in post #9. Just wanted to update on my experience because of the talk about the quality of diving in the Bahamas...

First the Aqua Cat was wonderful. Spacious, great crew, clean, good food and a very well run operation. Crew genuinely seems to want to please everyone. Diving-wise, not so good. Only a few sites were colorful with enough fish to seem interesting unless you are really into coral/plants. Me, I like to see fish! On average, the sites seemed like ghost towns. Devoid of the usual amount of fish you would see on a normal Caribbean dive. For me, it really seemed strange.

That being said, it would depend on your own experience, whether you would enjoy diving the Bahamas. I've been on many Caribbean dive trips and a couple trips out to Indonesia. Some of the newer divers on the boat really loved the experience. My friends as well myself probably would not dive the Bahamas again. We all enjoyed our trip but there are many other places for the same cost that would have more enjoyable diving.

Back
Top Bottom