Aqualung Calypso III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JEEP PIRATE 08

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Picked up and old Calypso III, not much information on before Model IV. Any of you old timers have anything for me? Want to know all I can gather about the Calypso III.

Picked up and old Calypso III, not much information on before Model IV. Any of you old timers have anything for me? Want to know all I can gather about the Calypso III.

Not an old timer and I don't know the history but my (I assume) Calypso III is on my work bench at the moment because I needed to borrow the 2nd stage exhaust mushroom valve flapper to test on another reg about an hour ago.

On the second the exhaust vents are a little smaller than the newer ones. I can feel a SLIGHT difference in exhalation effort at below recreational depths. Inhale it breaths as nicely or better than many regs on the market.

With this in mind I would suggest it to be kept somewhat shallower than the later models.

Otherwise, very solid reg and easy to service (If ever needed) and it's durability I respect as a useful reg. I've had myself and other people put perhaps ~150 dives on it over the summer and a few dozen last winter myself well below recreational depths. It's a nice reg.

Paired up with a r109 even an original Calypso breaths well very deep.

Here's a good link:
Aqualung Calypso versions

Convenient to show us some photos of it?

Enjoy.
Cameron

P.s. I run an underwater active museum-like retirement program for aging regs and will hang it on a tank for you if you like. :wink:

I have a Calypso III first and second stages and it looks NEW. You can see some very slight indicator on the second that it was actually used but the first stage looks fresh out of the box its a beauty but it only has two ports one high and one low.....

2189752910310f1.JPG

I have a Calypso III first and second stages and it looks NEW. You can see some very slight indicator on the second that it was actually used but the first stage looks fresh out of the box its a beauty but it only has two ports one high and one low.....

Nice find, beautifully inexpensive too sometimes.

You can pick up a 3 way adapter if you need more LP ports.

XS Scuba Swivel LP Port Adapter - 1 to 3 Ports - Reg Accessories - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices
I don't know the quality of the one in the link. I know the old ones hold up very well.

Cameron

Good looking find.

Have it serviced. Replace the hose. Add the 3 way adapter. And start diving.

Rinse the first stage well after salt water dives. It is an environmentally unprotected piston.

Museum piece. Hang it on a wall.

Maybe, but the second stage is not significantly different than ones I have used mounted to a Kirby Morgan Band Mask in saturation well over 900' -- granted on HeO2. It is a workhorse to this day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom