Aqualung hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I finally get my regulator (Aqualung Titan LX) on my fifth trip to the dive shop. And when I get home, I discover that the hose for the octopus (Aqualung XLC) is loose -- meaning, I can turn the nut at the first stage by hand, which don't seem right.

I really don't want to cart the reg halfway across the country (albeit a small country -- Singapore) and make the guys in the dive shop fix it. And anyway it would be useful to have the right size of wrench for tightening hoses. But there's the rub -- what size?

Can anyone hazard a guess? I don't want to take the reg to the tool shop, if I can avoid it, and sod's law says the wrenches will all be in blisterpacks anyway.

Many thanks,

Zept

I purchased a multi-purpose dive tool from divers direct and it has all the different wrench sizes needed as well as a few other handy little items.

A Crescent (adjustable) wrench should do the trick.

Yet another example of shops that are constantly using the saw "Life support equipment!" really don't take what they're saying seriously. :(

Roak

it is probably a 9/16", but they do use some 1/2" as well. Crescent wrenches can not reliably hold onto fasteners that small... even the small ones have a lot of play. A properly fitted open end wrench will tighten or loosen the fastener properly without deforming the hexagon... Of course, I am an ASE certified Master Auto technician (retired) and using the right tool for the right job is important to me.

Originally posted by NetDoc
Crescent wrenches can not reliably hold onto fasteners that small... even the small ones have a lot of play. A properly fitted open end wrench will tighten or loosen the fastener properly without deforming the hexagon...
Zept,

The body of the first stage is brass, if you're yanking on the wrench hard enough to even remotely deform the hexagon, you're torqing it waaaaaay too much. You snug it down and leave it; the O ring supplies the seal, not the tightening of the connection.

I will defer to Pete's opinion on questions relating to rotating car tires.

Pete is correct that a proper open-end wrench would be superior to a Crescent wrench. However, my response takes three things into account. 1) Sounds like you want to minimize cost, 2) You won’t be doing this very much (for in-field snugging if required) and 3) I use three or four different wrenches for the hoses that connect to my first stage, some metric, some SAE. Buying one wrench for an Aqualung hose may not work when you replace the hose with something else, as well as the fact that already your HP and LP hoses may already take different sized wrenches.

And a fourth reason: Buying four separate wrenches probably costs as much as a full set.

Roak

Dont' CRANK on that nut too hard!!!!!!!

The O ring provides the seal not the tightness of the connection.

Oh, now I see that Roaky has said all this......duhhhh

That torque should be minimal on that O-ring fitting. Still consider this...

1) the jaws of an adjustable wrench can be way too wide and the crimped portions of the hose can interfere with it.

2) the jaws of a crescent wrench are seldom parrallel

3) the resultant fit can deform a brass fitting, even on low torques. the corners will round FAR easier than a steel fitting. Remember, most fittings are chromed which makes the slipping and resultant deformation THAT much easier.

4) A set of wrenches is a GREAT thing to have.

5) As in diving... Use the RIGHT Tool (URT is a registered trademark and represents not only a degree of craftsmanship and technical skill but the proper attitude as well... merely owning a long primary wrench does not make you a true URT technician. :tease: )

Right tool for the job!!!

I use my flat bicycle wrenches to work on my reg. I can never get my "all in one" dive tool to fit my connections. My crescent wrench works but it does tend to scuff up the connection a little. Estheticaly unpleasant.

You can get flat wrenches cheap at www.nashbar.com

Boy, that started an argument!

My other half failed to produce a suitable wrench (perhaps I should leave him?), but he did find me a pair of calipers. We measured the nut at 14mm, but I guess it might be 9/16 inch (14.3mm), given that it's an American regulator. The other LP hoses are the same, the HP hose is different.

I know the fitting only needs to be firm, not TIGHT. Right now it is loose enough that it might come unscrewed, which strikes me as a bad thing. Grr.

Thanks everyone,

Zept

Originally posted by NetDoc
5) As in diving... Use the RIGHT Tool (URT is a registered trademark and represents not only a degree of craftsmanship and technical skill but the proper attitude as well... merely owning a long primary wrench does not make you a true URT technician. :tease: )

Caught yourself, didn't you Pete....
But the truth came out anyway....
Face it bucko.... you are a URT bigot!!!!

And I'm gonna go out an pound a few nails with my cresent wrench cause its my own personal preference and even if a hammer would work better and even though I've got nail guns of all sizes and flavors and redundant compressors... you URT guys really chap my hide and so I think I'll even saw a few boards with my hatchet just to show you.....

:p

BTW - I did note your use of irony :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom