Aqualung Legend for deep diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarco

Reaction score
Hello,

what is the reason, why i cant use the legend lx supreme for technical diving? Have to be allways the apeks ATX100?
The only problem for using the Legend LX supreme is the maintenance. It is more difficult to overhaul the reg.
Thanks for your answer

sarco

I don't believe there's any reason you couldn't use an AL Legend for deep diving, its an excellent high performance reg that seems to be quite reliable. If my understanding of the situation is correct, the Legend series of regs was designed after AL bought Apeks, so the Legend series was made using Apeks technology. I personally (and my family) own a Legend LX, a Legend, an Apeks ATX200, Apeks ATX50 and an Apeks US4. I think all these regs perform comparably. There's been some talk on these boards that the Legend second stages breath drier than the Apeks 2nd's, but I personally can't say that I can tell any difference

Who says that you can't? My primary reg. is an Legend LX. My secondary is an Atomic Z1. I do dives to 130 ft. with no issues. If I had more training, I see no reason that it wouldn't go deeper. The only advice that I would give is to de-tune it slightly that with the front adjustment to cut down on the chance of a freeflow in cold water.

As far as maintenance goes, that is my LDS's problem, LOL.

Yeah, I second that question... Who says you cant use the Aqualung Legend for technical diving??? Its a high performance reg.

I have Aqualung legend LX.. I have had no problems at any depth in rec limits.
love the thing. I just wish I had got the supreme with silver ring rather than the gold colored. Odd that I'd care. but the gold color seems to "clash" with everything I have. hehehe.

The Legend LX is an excellent reg. I used one for many dives before deciding on my ATX200. I dont see why anyone would say that it is not up to tech specs.
I didnt take it to the minimum temp before freeze up though, so I cant give you an opinion on that aspect. I assume they offer the LX Supreme version with the little snowflake on it for colder diving than the regular LX is designed for.

Aqualung Legend is a sweet regulator. The deeper you go, the smoother it breathes. I use mine as my primary reg for tech diving (dozens of dives to 100, 150, 200 ft.). Have an Apeks TX50 as my back-up regulator.

theskull

sarco:
what is the reason, why i cant use the legend lx supreme for technical diving? Have to be allways the apeks ATX100?sarco

I don't know where you got this info from, but it is wrong. The entire Aqualung Legend series are among the best regs in the market and very well suited for technical diving. I had an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme (it was stolen last week), which I consider the best allround reg and it breathes like a charm at any depth.

Rodales has tested it successfully at 75 RMV @ 198 fsw. The first stage is mostly based on Apeks (which is owned by Aqualung) technology, but it also has an air passage. The 2nd stage is indeed much drier than Apeks.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

sarco:
Hello,

what is the reason, why i cant use the legend lx supreme for technical diving? Have to be allways the apeks ATX100?
The only problem for using the Legend LX supreme is the maintenance. It is more difficult to overhaul the reg.
Thanks for your answer

sarco

I think you may have taken the point out of context. DIR requires a regulator that can easily be disassembled under water. Although I've never tried it I have read that the ATX100 is suitable in this respect. Personally I don't think this is a reason to buy (or not buy) a regulator but some DIR divers would probably disagree with me.

As for maintenance I can't see it being any more difficult than an Apeks. They're virtually identical.

R..

Back
Top Bottom