Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to Google WTF an ACD was. If it was April 1, I would assume that this was an April Fools Joke.

Seriously, why on earth would a company decide to build a regulator that has a piece of hardware in it that's sole purpose is to shut off the flow of air??? I mean, it's not like replacing a dust cap is a major chore.

Last edited:
Not to me it doesn't. This happened 25 dives after service by an authorized aqualung service center. What it does reinforce is the idiocy of the auto-closure devices that are sold as "features" in some regulators.

Unfortunately, so much of the recreational dive gear industry is based on gimmicky products that seem like a much better idea in dive shops than in actual use.

You could well be correct.

A reliable service facility is still a very important part of the equation.

"Authorized" does not mean competent. It just means someone went through some short course at Dema or a Dive show.

"Authorized" does not mean competent. It just means someone went through some short course at Dema or a Dive show.

Unfortunately, sometime it means protected incompetence.

Unfortunately, sometime it means protected incompetence.

Unfortunately I think you may well be correct awap.

There are many good service facilities-but not all.

"Authorized" is more a marketing tool.

Sounds like they need to do something else to fix a whole new issue. Like the potential to cause a diver death when the diver may be a little far from his buddy and his first stage just locks up. What fool thought this would solve a problem? And what problem did it solve?

judging by this other thread, there are enough people that like it for when their regs get rinsed such that there is a market for it

Aqua Lung ACD - Is it a gimmick or is it a deal maker?

After reading his thread, if I was ever looking to buy an AL reg, the ACD feature would be a deal breaker.
The crazy hoses killed them for me. No, I don't want to spend an extra $50 to install an extra adapter on my second stage so I can use the hose length I want instead of the stupid hose you sell with your insane adapter built in.

Having been inside the Legend first stage numerous times I am not sure what y'all are talking about. I would like to see the regulator with the "locked up" first stage please so I can understand what is being discussed.

The dust cap supplied with AL regulators does not have the ability to open the ACD. The old style that had the center area raised can open the ACD in the same manner that installing it on a valve will off seat the ACD. These have never been supplied with the Legend or any AL regulator in quite some years.

N

From the dive shop - "We found that the ACD inner post valve and yoke nut had come loose."

This sounds more serious issue than the ACD closing mid-dive. All in all, it doesn't make sense to me at all.

The regulator was rebuilt as listed on the intake documents and theses parts have been torqued to their proper specifications".

What does this part mean? Did the second store check on the work of the first and found that they did everything properly? If valve and yoke nut came loose, how could they have known that the first dive shop torqued the parts to their proper specifications?

Was the second dive ship an authorized and trained Aqua Lung center?

Did you contact Aqua Lung at all? For something this serious that may merit a product recall, I would have gotten on the phone, email and even certified mail before I would have done anything else.

I think that there is more to the story and the incident than what we are reading above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom