Aqualung Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? The Kronos that I linked to is a better regulator for less money. Besides the side exhaust the Kronos is also a balanced barrel poppet regulator while the Titan is an unbalanced down-stream design. Also LP is NOT an AL dealer so no parts for life (if this is important to the OP) while Prime Scuba I believe is.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

The Apeks deal I linked to in a previous post is IMHO the best deal on the market at the moment. For $350 you get a complete rig and for another $50 or so you can order the knobs off eBay and install them (youtube video) and have ATX-50s. I don't think the OP realizes that Apeks is an Aqualung company and is one of the favored regs of tech divers.

Did you read my post?

The OP was writing he is leaning towards the Legend LX finally and I think it's an excellent choice, what's the issue?

Concerning the octopus, I suggested to get a Legend Octopus instead of a Titan / Calypso, any problems with that?

The Legend Octo is balanced and of very high quality. Would be great if you could elaborate why you think the Kronos is of superior quality than the Legend.

If you suggest to the OP to buy a discontinued model of Aqualung, because it is so cheap exact for this reason, I'm not sure you do him a great favor.

Manufacturers usually don't discontinue their best and most successful models, as far as I know.

Concerning your APEKS deal,you might want to read again the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/483243-who-knows-apeks-stuff.html to the end before you recommend ATX APEKS, which are becoming cheaper and cheaper,but the heck why?:confused:

I did read or actually misread your post. I thought you were recommending the titan octo over the kronos, between the two the kronos wins. Between the Legend and the Kronos I would probably say it is a toss up as both are balanced barrel poppet designs. As for being discontinued, who cares? You can still get parts for a discontinued 25 year-old Conshelf 21. BTW, Prime is also selling Glacia octos for $120 but I doubt the OP needs a cold water reg in Florida.

As for why manufacturers discontinue products there are many reasons. In scuba, the main reason is to give the illusion of progress. You need to upgrade because this is new and better. No one is worse about this than Aqualung. Discontinue the Conshelf 21 but sell a Conshelf 22 which is the same thing with a different case. Add 1/2" ports to a Conshelf and call it an SE2. Discontinue the Micra and then start selling the Micron. If a regulator is discontinued it doesn't mean it is poor performing or unsafe, it usually means something new is taking its place or it was not a big seller.

The Apeks ATX series is cheaper because it is not the most recent Apeks product. The XTX series is. The main difference between the two is the case, breathing performance is virtually the same. I would think that Air Liquide, the parent company of both Aqualung and Apeks, released the ATX 40 set as a budget set because the economy was poor, now that things are better they want to stop selling them.

I did read the Apeks thread and don't see what the problem is. At the time, I pulled my ATX regs and all mine had the lever perpendicular to the diaphragm, none of the barrels were twisted. I stand by my recommendation, they are quality regs at an excellent price.

I did read or actually misread your post. I thought you were recommending the titan octo over the kronos, between the two the kronos wins. Between the Legend and the Kronos I would probably say it is a toss up as both are balanced barrel poppet designs. As for being discontinued, who cares? You can still get parts for a discontinued 25 year-old Conshelf 21. BTW, Prime is also selling Glacia octos for $120 but I doubt the OP needs a cold water reg in Florida.

As for why manufacturers discontinue products there are many reasons. In scuba, the main reason is to give the illusion of progress. You need to upgrade because this is new and better. No one is worse about this than Aqualung. Discontinue the Conshelf 21 but sell a Conshelf 22 which is the same thing with a different case. Add 1/2" ports to a Conshelf and call it an SE2. Discontinue the Micra and then start selling the Micron. If a regulator is discontinued it doesn't mean it is poor performing or unsafe, it usually means something new is taking its place or it was not a big seller.

The Apeks ATX series is cheaper because it is not the most recent Apeks product. The XTX series is. The main difference between the two is the case, breathing performance is virtually the same. I would think that Air Liquide, the parent company of both Aqualung and Apeks, released the ATX 40 set as a budget set because the economy was poor, now that things are better they want to stop selling them.

I did read the Apeks thread and don't see what the problem is. At the time, I pulled my ATX regs and all mine had the lever perpendicular to the diaphragm, none of the barrels were twisted. I stand by my recommendation, they are quality regs at an excellent price.

Yeah, you are right.

I thought already that you misread my post, was not typical for you.

Just one of my guys working for me pissed me off when I read your post, so that was the result.

I still have my issues with the older APEKS cases, but anyway.

Just forget the post.

Ok guys...I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I went back to my LDS and noticed they had a couple more sale items. I was all set on buying a new legend lx, but came across the following:

NEW Reg Set APEKS ATX 20 (reg, octo, and spg) (product# AP0596IMP): $399

NEW Reg Set APEKS ATX40 (reg, octo, and spg) (product# AP0597IMP): $499

NEW Aqualung Titan (just reg) $199

NEW Aqualung Titan LX (just reg) $279

USED Aqualung Legend LX (just reg) $269 it appears the regs were used for OW classes, but they appeared to be in decent shaped. See pics below.

NEW Legend LX (just reg) $449

--------------

Thoughts in general and thoughts on buying used?

Thanks!

Attachments

• legend 1.jpg
    legend 1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 51
  • legend 2.jpg
    legend 2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 50
  • legend 3.jpg
    legend 3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 49
Ok guys...I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I went back to my LDS and noticed they had a couple more sale items. I was all set on buying a new legend lx, but came across the following:

NEW Reg Set APEKS ATX 20 (reg, octo, and spg) (product# AP0596IMP): $399

NEW Reg Set APEKS ATX40 (reg, octo, and spg) (product# AP0597IMP): $499

NEW Aqualung Titan (just reg) $199

NEW Aqualung Titan LX (just reg) $279

USED Aqualung Legend LX (just reg) $269 it appears the regs were used for OW classes, but they appeared to be in decent shaped. See pics below.

NEW Legend LX (just reg) $449

--------------

Thoughts in general and thoughts on buying used?

Thanks!

Man, you are beating a dead horse.

If the opinions and discussions here and in the other recent Legend - APEKS threads up to now didn't get you to a decision, it will be very difficult anyway, with the new option of used regs or not........

Just get to a decision, with the choices you think you have it's not much you can do wrong if you really read the posts.

Good luck.....

haha fair enough. ok one last question, between the following two, which would you pick:

New Titan LX at $279 or the used Legend LX for $269?

haha fair enough. ok one last question, between the following two, which would you pick:

New Titan LX at $279 or the used Legend LX for $269?

Me, I would definitely go for the Legend LX if it looks in good shape, but I have access to Aqualung parts and know how to service or repair those regulators. A guarantee plays for me no role.

In your case I would go for the new TITAN LX to be on the safe side.

The TITAN LX is an excellent value for that money,amazing that it is sold for a price that close to the dealer pricing.

Good luck......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom