Who knows Apeks stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife has been pushing me to "modernize" my gear. I haven't bought a significant piece of dive gear since 2005. I recently taught my daughter to dive and told my wife that I would re-kit one of my older regs for her.... She cocked her head, said, "no f*n way you're giving some of that old 'junk' to her to dive with"..... which lead to the discussion if I really should be diving with "old junk" myself.

I never saw it as old junk. I have a calypso, an impulse, a titan, a first-generation legend, an an Aquarius from something like 1972..... it all works so I was like .. what's the problem?

But one of my regs is down and I can't dive with it until it has been serviced. One (the calypso) was a purchase I regret. I've been using it as a stage reg because it has a low-profile 1st stage but ... in actual fact... It's kind of retarded to do so because we dive in water in the winter that gets down to about 2C.

The legend needs all new hoses and a rebuild.

the titan needs 2 new hoses and a rebuild.

The impulse needs all new hoses and a rebuild. Moreover, the primary is free-flowing and it's the calypso design from like 1998 or something. The free flow can be stopped but I've been using it in the pool and it hasn't been serviced ... "for a while". That's the reg that's down.

The calypso works fine but I put the Impulse octopus on it for using in the pool and my daughter told me that it was breathing wet when we did some of the OW exercises in the pool.

So I'm like... ugh...... I'm staring down the barrel of 500-600 Euros of maintenance costs (much of it overdue).

I talked to my buddy about it today and asked him if he was as worried about my gear as my wife. I'll spare you the whole discussion but the advice I got from him was

1) sell the impulse
2) sell the calypso
3) turn your titan into your stage reg
4) turn your legend into your pool kit / vacation reg
5) buy two new regs for your open water gear (we dive in doubles)

He told me to sell the Aquarius too but that was my uncle's reg. I have no intention of diving with it but it's the ONLY thing I have to hold on to that's his. He was one of my favorite people EVER. He died in 1988 and he's the one who got me into diving. I'm emotionally attached to it ... and I made about 500 dives with it when I was newly certified.... I can't let that one go even if it has no function.

A fin.

My buddy told me to buy two Apeks regs. A... (I think) DS4 and an XTX20 or XTX200 or something. He said they're cheaper than Aqualungs and pretty much as good.

I have no experience with Apeks regs. All my regs (as you can see) have been Aqualungs and none of them are modern. I'm nervous about trying a new brand because I've made a fucton of dives with aqualung regs and I've come to trust them intrinsically. But I REALLY need to do something about this overdue maintenance problem and new Aqualungs are REALLY expensive where I live.

So..... functionality.

I presently dive to a maximum of about 50m and I don't see myself diving deeper than about 75 meters at any point in the near future.

I dive with a twin set and don't make more than about 1/2 hour of deco on a dive.

I make about 100 dives a year. About 1/2 of those are technical in nature. The rest could be described as "puddle stomping".

I dive in cold water, down to 2C or below in the winter

I'm accustomed to diving with an aqualung so the work-of-breathing needs to be the same ball park

I have a hard head about balanced 2nd stages. I'm not willing to buy a new reg that doesn't have a balanced 2nd.

So two questions:

1) could the apeks really fit that need?
2) is there another reg that's widely available in western Europe that could do the same for a not too astronomical price?

R..

I've had Apeks regs since the middle/late 1990's Bullet proof regs. I've rebulit one set twice, another once, and the third never (6yrs old). All have stable IP's, no creep, these are the environmentaly sealed ones. Just rebuilt the one's on my rebreather after 3 yrs, didn't need to, just did it because they are the unsealed type.
Later,
John

All Apeks second stages are balanced and the work of breathing is comparable to the legend. Of all your regs only the legend (and maybe the impulse) is a balanced second stage. I am not sure of prices in Europe but US mail-order companies do ship to Europe and even with the VAT it may be cheaper. You can try HOG regs or one of the Hollis deals floating around.

Apeks regs are made and sold in the EU and therefore have to meet the minimum standards of EN250.

In fact Apeks regs exceed these minimums by a considerable margin.

Following an investigation by the UK HSE it was found that some regulators couldn't meet the EN250 standard with two divers breathing from the regulator (i.e. one first stage supplying a primary and octopus with a diver breathing off each) so there is to be a new standard introduced EN250A which requires regulators to meet the EN250 standard with two divers breathing from it. IIRC the new standard requires the regulator to not exceed the EN250 limits but with two divers breathing from it at a depth of 30 metres and a water temperature of 10 degrees C. Apeks regulators actually don't exceed the limits at 50m and 5 deg C.

Incidentally, HOG regs are copies of Apeks but HOG haven't gone to the expense of having them CE marked so they can't be legally sold in the EU nor could a diver "at work" use them however there's nothing to stop you personally importing them and using them on personal dives.

there's nothing to stop you personally importing them and using them on personal dives.

I've discovered that this is a bad idea. When I moved to Holland from Canada I ended up replacing significant parts of my gear because even though I could find someone over here who was willing to *try* to service them, I wasn't able to find anyone who was able to service them competently.

In that case it had to do with Sherwood regulators. I got them back non-functioning after service TWICE and vowed never again to buy anything that I couldn't get serviced by people who I know personally.

And all the techs I know are Aqualung, Apeks and Mares.... so that limits the field.

R..

go for the apeks. i have ds4/atx 40 combo on my twins and stage. you don't need the xtx200s. all of the atx/xtx models have the same internals. the higher the number, the more blingy the faceplate. the only thing is the 40s (both atx and xtx) don't have a twiddly knob. you can buy the twiddly knob off the interwebs yourself for a few euros and fit it yourself if you're so inclined. i linked to the youtube video in a previous thread. i thought about doing it myself, but when i did have a twiddly knob on my regs, i never touched it, so haven't bothered.

If it's balanced I don't need twiddly bits. My legend has a twiddly bit and I haven't touched it since 2005.

R..

If it's balanced I don't need twiddly bits. My legend has a twiddly bit and I haven't touched it since 2005.

R..

then go with the 40. your choice of atx or xtx. as i said, internally they are the same. the xtx faceplate is nicer looking and i believe you can reverse the side the low pressure hose is on with the xtx, which is useful for sidemount. in the UK you can get a ds4 and atx 40 for about £169. Normally, at the dive show, you can get an entire single set-up (including spg/depth gauge) for £250. cheap as chips, easy to service (either yourself from what i hear and easy to find someone to service them), and bulletproof.

The main difference between the ATX and XTX series besides price and cosmetics is: 1) The XTX can feed from either side of the regulator 2) You can swap the exhaust tees on the XTX between a wide one and a compact one.

I should also point out that Apeks and Aqualung are related companies so any Aqualung dealer should be able to repair an Apeks regulator.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2014 at 01:55 PM ----------

R..

What type of twiddly bits (is that a technical term) does your Legend have? If you are talking about a dive/predive switch then if used as a primary you really don't need to touch it. If it is adjustable breathing control I am surprised you have not touched it.

What type of twiddly bits (is that a technical term) does your Legend have? If you are talking about a dive/predive switch then if used as a primary you really don't need to touch it. If it is adjustable breathing control I am surprised you have not touched it.

Thanks for the info about the ATX vs. XTX. That's useful.

As for your question above, I meant the little wheel for cracking adjustment. ON other regs it makes a difference. On the Sherwood, for example, you had to start tweeking it before you got to 30m.

Deepest I've been with this one is about 50m and I've never had the feeling that it wasn't delivering air exactly how I wanted it. YYMV but on this particular reg it would appear to be an unnecessary feature.

R..

Back
Top Bottom