Who knows Apeks stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DST first stages support the Apeks 5th port kit that gives you similar doubles hose routing to the MK25:

IMG_4158_web.jpg
IMG_4161_web.jpg

In the end it is your life support device and maybe someone's else's as well in the future. Stuff happens and if you question your gear then fix it. Be it new be it completely overhauled. I have an older apeks and love it and will buy another soon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Your hexagonal wrench for the Apeks must be in mm size, not fractions of inch.

Apeks DS4/DST and XTX50 work great in cold water: +2C.

Strange that HOG have apparently gone to the bother of getting CE marked and yet have no European dealers.

I wonder if that is a CE mark or a Chinese Export mark. They are very similar.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

Your hexagonal wrench for the Apeks must be in mm size, not fractions of inch.

Apeks DS4/DST and XTX50 work great in cold water: +2C.

6mm for the turret retaining bolt and DIN fitting but there are ones out there that were sold under the Zeagle brand that have 7mm instead.

Strange that HOG have apparently gone to the bother of getting CE marked and yet have no European dealers.

I wonder if that is a CE mark or a Chinese Export mark. They are very similar.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

6mm for the turret retaining bolt and DIN fitting but there are ones out there that were sold under the Zeagle brand that have 7mm instead.

It is a CE mark. As for why no European dealers I can't say. Might be an opportunity for you!?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

It is a CE mark. As for why no European dealers I can't say. Might be an opportunity for you!?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would think so too if only Apeks weren't so poor at price maintenance.

With a phone call or two and my credit card to hand I can pick up a brand new DS4/ATX40 for around £135 ($230us approx). That's well below MSRP.

I reckon it would be fairly difficult for HOG to break into that market on price alone. However, if they made their USP the unrestricted availability of service kits to consumers then they might find a niche.

@Diver0001

Just keep your Legend, you will not find easily something better.

I just finished yesterday a service for an eight years old Legend, which has been badly abused by his owner, a dive pro.

I was again surprised by the quality of the components, and again was the 1st stage the best diaphragm 1st I know.

3000 psi tank = 144psi low pressure, 600psi tank = 144psi

Cracking Effort (CE) set on 0,8inch/h2O

At flow test (600psi):

5 SCFM = 0,7inch/h2O

7,5 SCFM = 0,5inch/h2O

10 SCFM =0,1inch/h2O

Max CE = 1,1inch/h2O

Dynamic IP at 10 SCFM = 139psi

These qualities are simply excellent.

I have serviced up to now only about 12 Legends, but they all showed those extreme good qualities, even after years of intensive use.

I have serviced and tested many more APEKS regulators, they are good ( apart from the APEKS Flight), but not as good as the Legend to my opinion.

Their 1sts are not as good balanced as the Legend ( usually a difference between full and empty tank = 2 - 6psi) and the dynamic IP at 10 SCFM drops lower.

The APEKS 2nds have to my oppinion a 'design flaw' which has not been corrected for whatever reason yet.

The problem is that the support for the valve spindle in the 2nd stage body is too weak, the plastic too soft. So if somebody is tightening the heat exchanger just a little bit too much to the valve spindle, the edge of the spindle will bend the support into the 2nd stage body, creating some space.

From now on it is often enough just to turn the 2nd on the LP hose to get lever out of position when for example the dynmic o-ring in the hose is stiff and misses lubrication, it is not parallel anymore.
If the 2nd is adjusted correctly, the 2nd starts very slightly to free flow until one gets the lever back in the correct position.

Most regulators (so also the APEKS) I get on the workbench are in pretty bad condition, so this might be the reason I face this problem so often, but I wonder why there are not more complains concerning this issue.

I had to buy already a couple of 2nd stage bodies for this reason.

But maybe normal recreational divers are treating their equipment simply better and with more care and do their services more on time than the 'Pros' I'm dealing with.

The differences between the APEKS regulators and the Legend are pretty small, so I doubt that someone could feel a difference underwater, but I can see them.:)

The design flaw is why you should always use two spanners when removing the hose. One to hold the heat exchanger and one to turn the hose fitting. When tightening the heat exchanger on do so with the diaphragm and cover off, press and hold the lever down onto the spindle to prevent it rotating as you tighten.

The design flaw is why you should always use two spanners when removing the hose. One to hold the heat exchanger and one to turn the hose fitting. When tightening the heat exchanger on do so with the diaphragm and cover off, press and hold the lever down onto the spindle to prevent it rotating as you tighten.

Yes, that's what I do too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom