aqualung legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps:
Rickster,

What was the second stage on the Titan? Was it the LX? I believe that the LX and the Legend (not LX) use the same second stage and the Legend Octo and the Octo LX (now discontinued) are the same. I have a Legend but it sounds like at shallower depths the Legend and Titan LX should breath the same.

The Legend LX has two adjustments on the side. The Titan I used (a rental), only had one on the second stage. As far as the internals, I serviced my LX, but, I havn't done a Titan yet. :06:
Rick

As indicated previously, the Legend first stage is basically an updated and improved Conshelf derivative design adapted to rotate the seat carrier assembly 90 degrees relative to the tank valve.

In comparision, the Titan first stage is also a Conshelf derivative that uses the same inline seat carrier design as the Conshelf and is for general intents and purposes a Conshelf with a updated body design, angled ports, and some improved air channelling. The "Supreme" dry environmental kit on the Titan is functionally identical to the kit on the Ledgend. The Legend Supreme adds a heat exhanger in the second stage and geberally detunes the reg to meet those really senseless and annoying European standards.

So in effect, other than cosmetics and HP/LP port number and arrangement the Titan and Ledgend are extremely similar in design and performance.

In terms of second stages, the poppet - or "shuttle valve" as Aqualung prefers to call it - on their balanced second stages are identical, the difference being that the inhalation effort is adjustable on the Legend LX while it is not adjustable on the Legend, Legend Octo and Titan LX. The differences are comparable to the balanced and adjustable Scubapro S600 and the balanced but non adjustable S550.

The Titan, Calypso, and Titan/Calypso Octo and Conshelf 14 second stage are all unbalanced downstream poppet design second stages.

Thanks DA. So you don't see much value in the "overbalanced" design of the Legend vs the Titan 1st? It seems at depth it would have some value. I hope so, that is why I bought the Legend over the Titan LX Supreme. :)

Over balancing, when the term is used to refer to a design that increases the relative difference between intermediate pressure and ambient pressure at depth, involves a trade off. A greater relative increase in intermediate pressure at depth does allow a little more flow rate as well as easier breathing at depth. But it requires the second stage be adjusted for the higher IP and with a non adjustable second stage the easier breathing will then come at the cost of harder breathing at shallower depths. And I am not sure I see the benefit of a slight increase in flow rate related to increased IP, if the flow rate is already adequate.

On the other hand, some companies use the term "over balanced" to refer to a design where the piston stem or seat carrier is slightly oversized to account for the area of the knife edge on the orifice and allow a perfectly balanced system where there is no IP change at all as tank pressure falls. If the slight difference in area due to the area of the orifice edge itself is not compensated for, there is still a 4-6 psi change in IP as tank pressure falls even with a "balanced" design. In that case, overbalancing is a very good thing to have.

I love my Legend LX, easiest breathing reg I've ever had, better than my Apeks TX100. I actually sold my B2 to get the Legend. Like it much better. Great reg.

Personally I think the legend and titan are more identical to my US divers pro-diver. I've tried both actually I like my pro-diver as it seems extremly easy to breath just open my mount and in comes the air.

FrediSub:
A lot of people say that the Legend is virtually the same that an Apeks. Is this true?

I have a Legend and an Apeks ATX 50. They breathe virtually the same to me. Apeks has more diver adjustment on the 2nd stage.

DA Aquamaster:
I rebuilt two of them last week - the guts of the Legend are vintage Conshelf but just rotated 90 degrees relative to the yoke/tank valve.

Don't get me wrong, I like not having to stack the filter, washer and C-clip on top of the seat carrier and spring awhile keeping it all aligned while you press it all in place in the reg body. I also like the dry sealed design of the ambient chamber. But functionally speaking, it's the same basic design as the Conshelf.

Just like all cars are the same basic design as the Model A....

i have two (legend lx suprem) for me the best in recreational diving

Back
Top Bottom