Aqualung Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I want to make a prediction.

Aqualung (Apeks) is very serious about expanding their current product range, just look at the new website. They already aquired Whites and seem to like the products from Canada a lot. The aleady have awesome regs, wings, plates , fins and it seems to me that they want to create a full tec catalog. They only require a great DC to complement what they already have to offer.

Who are the other kick-a$$ manufaturers in Canada? Shearwater?

If you know Shearwater's history you know they would never sell out.

Huish already bought LV, otherwise I could see it. And it's too bad, because I can't think of a better combo than SuunTTTo and Liquivision - two overhyped pieces of tech with dubious service/support.

I don't think aqualung owns Suunto, I think they just have the license to sell their dive computers. Suuntos line of wrist computers is a lot more then just dive computers.

As shearwater is just dive computers this would be a different kind of arrangement.

Suunto does not own Suunto, they are owned by Amer, they are in with Salomon, Wilson, Arcteryx etc, Aqualung is the distributor for Suunto's dive computer division, responsible for service, sales, etc. Strange relationship, but long story short is ditching Suunto would be stupid, and getting in with another computer company would only piss the Finnish off....

Ugh, do not get me started on how far downhill the quality of Arcteryx's offerings has gone :p I hope that by the time my old Canada-made SV shell finally dies, they're still making at least the Alpha SV in Canada. The China made shells are still priced above $600, but the attention to detail just isn't there.

/back to dive gear

I doubt Bruce will sell, no need to.

They said the same about Frank before Whites was aquired. AL dont own Suunto, they are licensed to sell them. I any case this is only a prediction, but what I see with AL, Is that they are going after niche best of breed products where they have gaps.

Liquivison is not nearly selling as well as Shearwater. I was not aware of the LV buy, maybe they will market LV instead of SW?

All I know is that if I wanted to expand my product range wrt DC, I would go after SW, no questions asked.

Back
Top Bottom