Aqualung vs Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RILEY

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
im in the final stages of picking my first regulator for a single tank (yay to no longer renting :p)

hoping you guys can help me decide between these 2 or an alternative for around there price points

Hog D1 1st stage and 2 Zenith chrome 2nd Stage includes all hoses etc ($582 AUD)

Cheapest iv found is an Australian store.

HOG - Regulators

cheapest Servicing costs iv found are $50 for a first stage and $25 for a second stage (possible do myself in the future)

or a

Aqualung legend xl 1st and 2nd with a Aqualung Core occy (606 AUD)

Cheapest iv found is ebay from italy.

Aqualung Legend LX ACD INT+ Octopus Core 01IT

cheapest Servicing cost appox $150.

I live in Australia and will be doing dives in 10-30c and dives anywhere from 10-40m

Hog is a secondary brand manufactured by ODS. They make the same basic models and let smaller mfr's customize them. Some are so similar there's even parts interchangeability.

Aqualung is a premier brand so in your case since the prices are so close it's what I would choose. At U.S. prices, the Aqualung set as configured is $1048...

Also Aqualung has a 2 year service interval so in effect your service costs are basically the same for either if you plan to follow the mfr's recommendations.

The advantage to the HOG is the self-servicing but here's the fine print on that - copied from the HOG website:
HOG D1 1st Stage Service Kit (Viton)

Please Note: Edge-Hog Dive Gear policy restricts the sale of service parts kits and service parts requiring installation to Authorized Dealers, Authorized Repair Centers, Authorized Technicians affiliated with Dealers and Repair Centers, and those individuals who have successfully completed the TDI Hog Repair Course. Parties meeting the above listed criteria who wish to purchase service related items should contact Edge-Hog Dive Gear directly.

Edge-Hog Dive Gear does not restrict the sale of service parts kits by Edge-Hog Dive Gear dealers wishing to do so. Please be advised installation of service parts or service performed by any party not meeting the previously stated criteria above may result in the partial or complete voiding of the manufacturers original warranty.

Another consideration is service locations. Aqualung (first map) has one of - if not the - most extensive dealer networks in the world. I'm reliably sure (haven't checked this year) that there are popular dive areas in the world with no HOG dealers yet. Your whole country was one several years ago. I just checked their dealer locators - there are 4 Aqualung dealers in Sydney alone - plust about 20 more. There are 5 HOG dealers in all of Australia...

No dealer means you'd have to carry a parts kit - probably any competent reg tech could fix something that goes wrong on a trip - but they wouldn't be able to get parts. But there goes your warranty...Here in the U.S. the D1 kit is $39 list and sells online for $29 - plus you need one for each Zenith.

For $24 difference IMO it's not even worth considering HOG.

my .02

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
...//... For $24 difference IMO it's not even worth considering HOG.

my .02
I saw and used a hog reg on a clinic. I had/have concerns as to how the hoses can take an impact near the primary reg.

BTW, who manufactures HOG regs and where are they located? -clueless...

Hi Riley, I got the Hogs, quite happy with it.
There is a guy is Sydney who does the service for $60 + parts. Kids can be ordered online or through him.
Chris will make you a good deal, also the hose length can be chosen.

thanks steve didn't even consider how difficult it would be to service outside Australia.

my main concern buying the aqualung legends is id be buying from Planet Multi Store in italy on ebay and i'm not sure how any warranty would work. iv asked Planet Multi Store with no response as of yet. plus there is a language problem there.

my concerns with the hog are serviceable and build quality over the legends which i think steve has addressed.

Australia pricing for the aqualung set is about the same as america $1000 range

Thanks Murph68, Spoken with Chris thats were i got my costing from. i think my servicing cost include parts.

Here in the U.S. there would be no warranty coverage. But Aqualung controls everything tightly thru their dealer network here. From what I've read here on occasion the rest of the world has laws prohibiting that - assuming Italy and Oz are both parties to it. For service I'd assume they'll take anyone's money...you just won't get free parts for life...

Personally the places I dive HOG doesn't have the coverage. Probably if you have your gear serviced b4 you leave your area - you likely won't have problems. However some people post here that they have a higher failure incidence right after servicing than any other time. I only travel to dive and I bring all my own gear - regularly on liveaboards also. I didn't buy it to not use it.

Anecdotally the one time my reg failed - blew an o-ring when powered up - I sat out one dive and the shop fixed it so I could use it after lunch - on Roatan.

I'm actually an Atomic Aquatics fanboy. I have their T-series reg. They just don't have anything as good as the legend in your price range. I also own a Poseidon reg that is as good but service locations here are harder to find. And it uses different pressure internally than most. My other go-to's would be Aqualung or Scubapro.

For $24 difference IMO it's not even worth considering HOG.

my .02

I am with this. I have used both. Although HOG works just fine, AL is overall manufactured to higher quality. For the $24 difference, AL legend any day. Also as your first set of reg, you want to have something you can get service easily, both local and aboard (assuming you will take it to dive vacation). In this regard, AL is on top of the list as well

aqualung is certainly a premium brand, but only in price. You will see no better performance, highly likely to see worse warranty coverage *check their warranty terms, not that you'll have one, but check it out, it's not good, to maintain warranty you MUST pay for dealer service EVERY year, or the warranty goes away, it's complete sh!t*, and subpar customer service. All the things you expect to see out of a "premium brand" in the scuba industry. What are you guys basing this manufactured to higher quality thing on?
Add in lack of ability to self service, and vastly inferior hose routing, and it really is a no brainer... just opposite of what Steve said.
Now, if you have no intention of self-servicing, then you should probably go with something else other than Hog because you can't get them serviced globally. I would highly recommend checking out the Dive Rite XT regs because you get the best of both worlds. Warranty is not predicated on authorized service at regular intervals, parts are freely available for DIY service, though unlike Hog you do not have the class through TDI to take it, but it's not rocket science and manuals for the Apeks DST and a little bit of brain power will make it easy. You also have support from multiple dealers in AUS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom