Aqualung vs Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am with this. I have used both. Although HOG works just fine, AL is overall manufactured to higher quality. . . .

In what aspects do you see differences in quality that would make a difference in practice? Do you have reason to believe HOG regs fail at some point due to lower quality materials or something like that?

When I was facing the OP's decision, I went with HOG. My reasoning--right or wrong--was that a reg that is in substance the same thing sold under various different brands must surely be a tried and true design. And I can service them myself after taking a course, saving thousands of dollars over the years. That appealed to me.

Without much hesitation I would have spent more money on a premium brand, but when I asked on SB whether a premium brand is worth it, I heard nothing that led me to believe HOG is inferior to other brands in any way that would affect the kind of diving I do. Nobody said they break after a while or something to that effect. All the sensitive little parts are replaced during service, which I do myself. Maybe if one is doing extreme depths or under the ice or something, that might call for a premium reg?

A few years ago, HOG was all the rage here on SB. I suppose if the price difference for a premium brand is too small to pass up, then get that, but even then, I don't clearly understand why the premium brand is better.

I thought I would add that I do understand the mindset behind a desire for "quality" gear. For example, I own a Shearwater computer for recreational diving, and others have rightly pointed out that even a computer built of cheaper parts would do the same thing for me and last just as long for me. In that sense, my desire for "quality" defies logic--it's mainly a psychological desire. Is that analogous to the difference between a generic-design regulator brand and a "premium" brand?

Reg to Reg comparision, you'll enjoy both. Let the other factors guide your choice.

hog d1 is a tried and true design, it is a copy of the apeks DST. nobody is stopping you from servicing your own AL/Apeks regs, just getting parts is harder.

HOG is a great option for someone looking for good value in the US. pricing outside the US is not as low though and the main advantage for the big companies eg AL/SP becomes more useful outside the US because their dealer networks are larger internationally. not everyone is looking to service their own regs or mail them somewhere in order to get serviced.

i would personally go with the legend set if the price difference is that small.

aqualung is certainly a premium brand, but only in price. You will see no better performance, highly likely to see worse warranty coverage *check their warranty terms, not that you'll have one, but check it out, it's not good, to maintain warranty you MUST pay for dealer service EVERY year, or the warranty goes away, it's complete sh!t*, and subpar customer service. All the things you expect to see out of a "premium brand" in the scuba industry. What are you guys basing this manufactured to higher quality thing on?
Add in lack of ability to self service, and vastly inferior hose routing, and it really is a no brainer... just opposite of what Steve said.
Now, if you have no intention of self-servicing, then you should probably go with something else other than Hog because you can't get them serviced globally. I would highly recommend checking out the Dive Rite XT regs because you get the best of both worlds. Warranty is not predicated on authorized service at regular intervals, parts are freely available for DIY service, though unlike Hog you do not have the class through TDI to take it, but it's not rocket science and manuals for the Apeks DST and a little bit of brain power will make it easy. You also have support from multiple dealers in AUS.

tbone, hog also specifies authorized service to get warranty coverage. check it on their website.

Currently the Edge-Hog Dive Gear website does not support warranty registration, however, there is no need for you to register your products to receive warranty coverage. To receive and maintain full warranty coverage of your Edge-Hog Dive Gear Products please do the following:

1. Retain your original proof of purchase showing the item purchased by part number or description as well as the dealers name, purchase date, and purchase price.
    • All warranty requests will require a valid proof purchase.
  2. Have your Edge-Hog product serviced according to the suggested or required service interval by an Edge-Hog Dive Gear, an Edge-Hog Dealer, or an Edge-Hog Authorized Service Center and retain all service records.

then that is new since Chris left.... That puts that much more reason to go with the Dive Rite XT's as it states that while highly recommended, the warranty is not predicated on proof of annual service

I have both multiple sets of Aqualung legends and Hog D1 regulators and I concur-stay with the Aqualung Legend, I have been using as my primary reg for over 7 years and love how they breath especial in cold waters to 34 degrees never a problem. I use Hog regs. for my sidemount configuration, pricing was reason for this- I like them, but breaths slightly wet & slightly finicky in cold water even with 1st stage cold water setup.

do you have the old or new housings for the classic second stages? There was a change in the exhaust design that is a free housing replacement to the new style that breathes much drier than the originals.

do you have the old or new housings for the classic second stages? There was a change in the exhaust design that is a free housing replacement to the new style that breathes much drier than the originals.

Would you happen to know the tel. number I should call?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom