Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have a good point on the strong (not inflamatory) oppinion language. I still stick by it. Thanks!

I see there are issues about the coordinator not seriously responding back to e-mails. I had a previous oppinion on this and still have the oppinion on the lack of good management associated with too many divers and not enough spots for volunteering. If I send a request a month before a planned volunteer weekend, and I get no reply, not even "hey we are overbooked, how about the following week or the following month", then the $220 is too expensive in my view. I might get in 0 or myabe 1 dive a year, if I am lucky, unless I take two or three hours out of my 9 hour work day on every Tuesday or Thursday to call and try to get a response and a spot?.

So I stick by my strong bullheaded view on raping on price. Until someone can demonstrate the good planning and the courteous response to e-mail resuests has shown a quick and more permanent improvement, I will stick to this oppinion. I am not arguing. Just explaining my point.

And, I am lighthearted about the cheapskate thingy. You do see me smiling like a well entertained smart allec when I throw the term "ghetto mud slinging" around so loosely, right:D ? I do like to be quite fantabulously theatrical in responses like this:D

Michael, great pics. Looks like the Carribean.
How was the classroom studies? Any final exam?
Did you have to do some pre study material?
We are thinking about going down May 20-21st with
Surface Interval scuba
http://www.siscuba.com/Aquarena Springs.htm

The park is now owned by Texas State, but the money for the classes is used for the diving at Aquarena. Even though there is State and Govt funding the are compartmentalized to funding themselves, right now the money paid for the course goes to new diving facilities; changing rooms, bathroom showers, etc. (the floating dock that's already there). The money spent goes back into making the diving at Aquarena better.

Considering that we paid for two people when my husband and I took the course last month, it was kind of "ouchy" writing the check- then, after the course and diving were over, we really felt like we already had our money's worth! We did take our travel trailer and stayed after the course, dived some more at Spring Lake. This lake is amazing, and you will quickly develop a caring attitude about the lake itself, after learning about it, and after enjoying dives in it.

I can't wait to return- that's the cool part, we can return over and over with free and cheerful air fills. They also told us that they can't remember ever turning a volunteer down, who wanted to come dive. Maybe this will ease your fears of being turned down for a certain date. This is especially a great winter dive site, since it's in the low 70's year round.

Not trying to talk you into it, because I know it's different strokes for different folks. Just pointing out that we feel it was well worth the $$, and it is a 6-7 hour drive for us to return.

MichaelBaranows:
The problem with the new dive supervisor is that she only works on Tuesday and Thursday. When I emailed her Thursday morning and she emailed me back by 1030.

Bridget is no longer with the Springs. Eric Peterson is the man in charge of Science diving as far as I know.
L

LVX:
Bridget is no longer with the Springs. Eric Peterson is the man in charge of Science diving as far as I know.
L
Heather Fisher does the diving approvals and she is there Tues and Thurs.

There's a new lake manager named Ethan in charge now, although Heather is still answering emails. For anyone who thinks that $220 is too much to dive for free in beautiful conditions every weekend, then I echo the comments of others here: don't pay it. I've done 8 dives there since I was certified to do so in February. It sure beats Lake Travis.

Buoyancy control is a serious issue. A Spring Lake dive averages about 11-15 feet in depth with max depths of 20-25 feet. There are silent, electric boats with 24" props passing overhead frequently. Moving thorugh the lake requires passage through some 3-5 foot areas. You have to know where the boats are. The work requires you to hover on the bottom while actively clearing algae, but without any part of your body other than your hands touching. This in addition to normal silting issues and a virtual overhead: you can't surface in the lake except in an emergency.

Anyway, it's not for everyone. If you like deep and dark, Travis is a much better idea. If you like tropical clarity, brilliant lighting conditions, abundant fish (even tropical cichlids) and turtles, and great aquatic plants, pay the $220.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom