Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Count yourselves lucky we can dive in Spring Lake at all. Between all the (well justified) federal, state, and local regulations imposed on that site, I'm very surprised at how smoothly the current system for recreational divers works.

I fully expect future diving to be more restricted, not less. All it takes is a few numbskulls to make a mess or act inappropriately in full view of a regulatory official, and it's bye-bye scientific diving program, hello off-limits to all but research and monitoring personnel.

Cyklon, my understanding of the "dive once a year" policy is that it is more to keep said diver somewhat current on local changes in Spring Lake and the program itself. I'm surprised (again!) that the permitting agencies are so lax in this aspect, too.

Aquarena generates very little money of its own. It is not a SeaWorld or Moody Gardens, but a painfully neglected holding of a state university undergoing critical budgetary concerns. Just walk around the grounds, and see how desperate the place is for revenue.

Most of the people that take the course never go back to Aquarena more than once, anyway. Too bad.

Regarding the present coordinator, she does a fair job for someone who has a LOT more to juggle on her plate. Just give her proper 72 hour notice (NOT including weekend days, obviously), and you should be set. If you email on Friday expecting to dive on Monday, that's an unrealistic expectation.

Last I heard, Bridget was still around, but focusing on her baby and her graduate work. Does anyone have any better information on this?

It's a non-profit operation, run by the university. The class takes a day and a half. I am sure some of the fee goes towards underwriting their conservation programs and administration, but at least it is a good cause. It is not like some dive shop overcharging you for a class. This is a one of a kind thing. I did not feel the price was unreasonable, but if you don't plan to give their regularly, it may not be worth the investment.

If you are a divemaster or above, you might be able to get a discount. I think I paid $140 or thereabouts.

I am not sure if the dive shops tack on a surcharge for selling you the class. Well, they gotta make a living, too.

archman:
Last I heard, Bridget was still around, but focusing on her baby and her graduate work. Does anyone have any better information on this?

I didn't know she'd had a baby! That's fantastic! :)

Ed Marshall:
She was about to pop when she taught my Scientific Diver class in February '06.

Ed

She was still carrying and getting around just fine when she taught my class in mid-March '06.

she didn't have the baby until around July '06, and she is still out there diving alot, she is focusing on her studies of the water...

When I got my cert in July of '06, I shelled out a lot of money soon after for equipment and gew gaws. After that, $220 for Aquarena's class didn't seem like much for training.

The class was informative and comprehensive. We learned about the significance of Aquarena's ecosystem and skills needed to dive there and not damage the threatened and endangered species (and to look out for boat props over head).

Some of the best $220 I've spent for diving.

The dive coordinator at Aquarena has always been pleasant and responsive to my email requests to dive.

They have recently gone to a buddies only policy, so it's a good idea to buddy up with 3 or 4 people if you can. That way if you have dropouts, you're still on for diving.

Just my .02.

Let's see...what do you "get" from the Aquarena course?
1) Tons of info. For me, that alone was worth the cost of the course because I'm a professional educator and I've used the materials in my classes.
2) Tour of the facilities, including the new center and the refurbished old hotel that now houses offices of the EPA, state environmental agencies and TSU research groups.
3) A glass bottomed boat tour with a very knowlegable guide (ours was Ethan, the lake manager).
4) Tour of the grounds, again with a guide to answer questions about the endangered species, etc...
5) Buoyancy control training (refreshing of skills) and yes, buoyancy control in such shallow confines is important, especially since bumping the bottom can damage said endangered species.
6) A couple of dives, at least one of which is a complete tour of the diveable portion of the lake. Air fills are provided (check out the prices of these at local scuba parks!)
7) Permission (and an invitation) to dive the lake and assist with projects they have underway throughout the year.
8) Access to one of the very few 100+ vis dive sites within the borders of Texas, which boasts constant 71 degree temps year round!
9) Contact with serious science divers from throughout the state, some of which are seeking volunteers for other diving projects, including historical and archaeological work.
10) A lot of fun!

As for the price for the course, I think it's definitely worth it. I took the course last summer and I returned two months ago. Figure in this data: First dives cost me $200 and included two air refills over two days. I returned this spring, made more dives on two days and again got two air fills, costing me nothing.

Had I done the same at, say, Clear Springs or Athens, I would have paid $20 a day and paid $10 per fill there. Total cost...$120, and the next time I go to one of these places, it'll cost me again! At Aquarena, my initial outlay will be discounted even more EVERY TIME I GO THERE!
As for travel expenses, I can't count them. I'll pay the same for those no matter where I travel to dive. I live fairly far from most dive destinations.

The course is definitely worth it. By the way, the center is trying to finalize plans for a brand new dive center, one that will include spacious gearing up areas, dressing rooms, and hot showers! If that's where my paltry donation goes, then it's money well spent!

cyklon_300:
Besides, there's no shortage of people willing to pay $200, so don't think you're hurting the program by not signing up.

That's the key. I tried offering a $22 lawn ecology class which would qualify volunteers to cut my lawn if they brought along a buddy to insure safety. It hasn't really worked too well so far.

A wise man once told me; "If the work needs to be done, volunteers just take paying jobs away from folks who need them."

I guess if it ever gets to the point where they can't get enough paying volunteers they will either have to hire divers to do the work or, better yet, remove the damn dam and leave a more natural river.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom