Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is an aquarium in Japan that has a few too.

but i was checking on wikipedia, $290 to dive with the whale sharks, bit pricey and you have to stay at least 5' away from them.

Can you remember the name of the aquarium? We have the Chunami Aqaurium here in Okinawa, Japan that is the second largest in the world (total volume) and has the worlds largest plexy glass veiwing front.
$290 is a bit pricy but a great story to tell your buddies about.

Attachments

• DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01085.JPG
    DSC01085.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01043.JPG
    DSC01043.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 28
"The Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium is the world's second largest aquarium and part of the Ocean Expo Park located in Motobu, Okinawa. The main tank holds 7,500-cubic meters (1,981,290 gallons) of water and features the world's largest acrylic glass panel, measuring 8.2 meters by 22.5 meters with a thickness of 60 centimeters. Whale sharks and manta rays are kept amongst many other fish and plant species in the main tank."

I have inquired about diving the tank

welcome@kaiyouhaku.or.jp

Can you remember the name of the aquarium? We have the Chunami Aqaurium here in Okinawa, Japan that is the second largest in the world (total volume) and has the worlds largest plexy glass veiwing front.
$290 is a bit pricy but a great story to tell your buddies about.

yeah, like i said before.

where else are you going to dive with a great hammerhead, a whale shark and ray's on one tank?

You are correct, only Georgia has whale sharks in NA. I might be mistaken but I am not aware of any other aquarium, worldwide, who has them.

Most aquarium dives are indeed expensive. On the one hand, guest dives are outside the daily activities of the staff, so special consideration is required. Aquariums are rediculously expensive to run, and some animals cost over 100,000 to buy and ship in from wherever they are. And lastly, some of the money in some aquariums will go to outreach and education programs, so you may think of it a partly a charity donation in addition to paying a dive charter.

We have Whale Sharks in the Chunami Aqaurium here in Okinawa, Japan. The Japanese fishermen catch them in their fish nets. They are dragged to Yomitan port where for $115 you can dive with the whale sharks in a natural area, but inside a net. Once the sharks have gone through this quarinteen then they go to the aquarium tank. Sick whale sharks are brought out to the ocean. The aquarium cycles through the sharks regularly. You can dive up to three whale sharks in the net. There are three whale sharks in the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom