AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought most SBers were of the mindset that this issue has been beaten to death and it would be best for it to just end now, at least publicly. I'm pretty sure the whole thing has made a memorable impression on AS and Mr. Horn, and I thought the "corrective action" was expressed as a renewed emphasis on safety and a clarification of flag/float boating rules.

I thought the "corrective action" was expressed as a renewed emphasis on safety and a clarification of flag/float boating rules.

I didn't see that. What I see is that Mr. Horn wants to take the information he has collected to the harbor master for action. I get the impression that, other than an awareness of the internet, nothing has changed at AS.

Maybe you're right but the only thing I see coming out of any further "analysis" or "learning" from this incident is more finger-pointing, back-pedaling, and hard feelings.

Added: that "awareness" of the internet is a pretty significant development, letting AS know that how they treat any one diver can easily impact the impressions of ten thousand other divers. That's really a paradigm shift that has occurred in the last ten years.

I didn't see that. What I see is that Mr. Horn wants to take the information he has collected to the harbor master for action. I get the impression that, other than an awareness of the internet, nothing has changed at AS.

I got completely the opposite impression, as did most who read this thread I believe.

I thought most SBers were of the mindset that this issue has been beaten to death and it would be best for it to just end now, at least publicly. I'm pretty sure the whole thing has made a memorable impression on AS and Mr. Horn, and I thought the "corrective action" was expressed as a renewed emphasis on safety and a clarification of flag/float boating rules.

Once again, you are absolutely correct! And this is exactly what has happened. Bill met with the new Harbor Master and had a great meeting with him. The "action" is that the Harbor Master will be issuing a circular to all Captains/Operations reminding/emphasizing boating/diving safety with the regulations for the alpha flag and observance of dive flags.

It's 50 meters for the Alpha flag, and idling speed within 30 meters of a dive buoy if I remember correctly....this will be confirmed when the Harbor Master issues the advisement.

Bill also suggested to the Harbor Master in the meeting that verbally make this reminder once or twice a month when he gives the daily weather reports each morning.

As I said before, I commend Bill for taking this further and looking at the BIG picture. It is my opinion that anyone who isn't satisfied with what he has done is simply being unreasonable. I don't know what more he could have done.

As far as the verbal exchange that some people want a resolution for, well I think that is between Jonathan and AS...it's not a safety issue...so it really doesn't concern anyone else.

And I think you're right Reef...this issue has been beaten to death!

Christi

Thanks. Perhaps I was a little impatient waiting for some kind of closure.

Back
Top Bottom