AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is great, I think now it has formally reached the "6 degrees of separation" point. Every other post ever posted on any board anywhere in the world is referenced back to this one with only 6 posts in between.

Impressive. :)

I would refer you to my post# 485 and also ask you AGAIN if you have any proof.

""LA MORDIDA", translation "the bite" is the term used for a bribe in this country. It is the traditional and customary way of getting things done."
Mordida, Bribes - Some Things in Mexico Seem To Never Change - Bribes - La Mordida in Mexico - Ensenada Retirement

"The police bribe – known as the mordida, or bite – remains a troubling problem throughout Mexico."
New effort in Mexico is targeting cop bribery | The San Diego Union-Tribune

"Now, an anti-corruption group has attempted a scientific measurement of bribes in Mexican daily life. Transparency Mexico, the local arm of Transparency International, determined in a report issued today that residents of Mexico City have to pay bribes for almost a quarter of the government services they receive."
For Many in Mexico, Bribes a Way of Life (washingtonpost.com)

I hate to see this thread turn into an argument on whether Mexican officials take bribes or not. I'm sure that not all do, but I've heard some very reliable sourced stories about the times it helped or would have helped - even getting getting a Captain license for there. I know that story cannot be published here, but it is more common.

Now can we get back toward the real focus here...?

""LA MORDIDA", translation "the bite" is the term used for a bribe in this country. It is the traditional and customary way of getting things done."
Mordida, Bribes - Some Things in Mexico Seem To Never Change - Bribes - La Mordida in Mexico - Ensenada Retirement

"The police bribe – known as the mordida, or bite – remains a troubling problem throughout Mexico."
New effort in Mexico is targeting cop bribery | The San Diego Union-Tribune

"Now, an anti-corruption group has attempted a scientific measurement of bribes in Mexican daily life. Transparency Mexico, the local arm of Transparency International, determined in a report issued today that residents of Mexico City have to pay bribes for almost a quarter of the government services they receive."
For Many in Mexico, Bribes a Way of Life (washingtonpost.com)

Having grown up in Texas, I am most familiar with corruption in MEXICO, particularly along the border and now in Monterey but, what does that have to do with Cozumel? I thought we were discussing Cozumel in particular and dont come back and tell me Cozumel is in Mexico, ok? I have made 25 trips down there since 1993 and not only have I never had a problem with the Police or Officials, I have never heard of any. The only " warning " I ever got was from my old buddy Felipe Quinones, RIP, and that was about going into a particular Cantina. Having traveled extensively in Central America and the Caribbean, I have experienced what you are referring to, but never in Cozumel. Not trying to be argumentative guys, just hate to hear bad things about Cozumel, OK?

Sorry Mawg, but Cozumel *is* in Mexico so don't come back and tell me Cozumel is somehow "different" from the rest of the country. I am glad that you were able to toe the line on your trips.

My original comment was not intended to characterize Cozumel (or even the mainland) as a land of corruption but to simply list one of the many reasons why an American tourist might be better off simply avoiding contact with a Mexican official rather than seeking one out to discuss a serious incident where he was clearly in violation of several Mexican laws.

just hate to hear bad things about Cozumel, OK?

I think that pretty much sums up much of the attitude directed here towards TND. We've heard from many that have positive memories and experiences from their time in Cozumel, some with Aqua Safari in particular. They have a personal connection to the place and take offense at something that runs contrary to their personal knowledge.

The problem is, Mr. Horn has essentially conceded something went wrong during the operation of one his boats AND has not disupted what TND has written here.

Everything else is either an attempt to counter TND's bad experience with a positive one of their own, or to shift the blame back to TND because of something he did or didn't do before the incident in question.

I don't blame TND for being reluctant to meet with the harbor master. Everything is probably as it is represented, but why take the chance? If he goes into the harbormaster's office with what is essentially a signed confession of diving without a permit, what else is the harbormaster supposed to do but act on that?

He's not asking for money or somebody's head, he just wanted to raise the issue. That has been done.

Sorry Mawg, but Cozumel *is* in Mexico so don't come back and tell me Cozumel is somehow "different" from the rest of the country. I am glad that you were able to toe the line on your trips.

My original comment was not intended to characterize Cozumel (or even the mainland) as a land of corruption but to simply list one of the many reasons why an American tourist might be better off simply avoiding contact with a Mexican official rather than seeking one out to discuss a serious incident where he was clearly in violation of several Mexican laws.

" ...dont come back and tell me Cozumel is somehow " different " from the rest of the country." You're not serious, right? You've obviously never been to Acuna',Matamoros, Tijuana,Juarez, Monterey, Mexico City, etc... You're joking right?

" I am glad you were able to toe the line on your trips." Son, I learned to behave myself a long time ago. That is why I am now retired at 59. I'll be 60 in March.

" My original comment was not intended to characterize Cozumel( or even the mainland ) as a land of corruption....." Really? Here is what you said, " We're also talking about a country where police officers and officials routinely take bribes." Sounds like the very definition of corruption to me. You've never been in court or through a series of depositions, have you?

" ...dont come back and tell me Cozumel is somehow " different " from the rest of the country." You're not serious, right? You've obviously never been to Acuna',Matamoros, Tijuana,Juarez, Monterey, Mexico City, etc... You're joking right?

Actually, I drive to Guanajuato just north of D.F. at least once a year to visit family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom