AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Harbormaster, better than anyone, can find any legislation that might be applicable, and I do indeed believe it's time for a circular to all the boats in this regard.

I guess it would be good to get with the harbormaster to nail down the exact legal requirements. And a circular to all from the harbor master should be helpful.

Perhaps you can assist the harbor master by explaining what you have done with the particular boat involved and AS boats in general in response to this incident? Although, at this point, I am unable to tell what that might be. Did I miss it somewhere?

You live in the world's most litigious society, so I can appreciate your suspicion or paranoia;
but I assure you and Mr. Knight that is not the case here.

I need a tourist whom no one would want to hurt to put a face on this for 15 minutes and help motivate the issue. Perhaps Morgan? Anyone up for a cross cultural experience?

Like I said, no amount of reassurances... nothing personal, honest. I'm applying basic instincts that have to do with me, not you. Once someone threatens me in any way, legally or financially or physically, an element of doubt would remain a long time. Something only time and observation, not words, could erase. It may be my litigious society but American tourists who have found themselves arrested in Mexico, even for minor and unintentional offenses, typically find themselves facing an expensive and time consuming experience under the best case.

You don't control the harbor master and as you said Mexican law operates very differently. It may not be your intention but I can just see Tek handing over this signed synopsis to the harbor master, who reads it carefully, then says something like "sir, you have confessed to trespassing, theft of services, and creating a marine hazard. I am legally bound to place you under arrest."

No Reefhound, in this case Tek and his 4 fellow divers are the victims.
It's my Captain who could lose his licence, and my company the commercial permit.
The Harbormaster only considers maritime issues.

We are all divers here, for diver safety.

Nevertheless, the way I see it from Tek's standpoint, he has nothing to gain from further involvement in this, everything to lose. Maybe you think you would be considered the guilty party in this but I have heard of many (and personally know a few) tourists who have been in auto accidents with locals, and regardless of whose "fault" it is often the tourist gets blamed and held responsible. They are "at fault" just for being there. We're also talking about a country where police officers and officials routinely take bribes.

Been a few days since I have visited this thread, but I see it keeps on growing so I figured I would check it out again. Seems to have devolved into an attack on TND's maturity by primarily those within the Coz diveops group. I get the impression, and have seen this elsewhere, that the employees of the diveops consider that reef their own personal property. That unless divers are off one of the boats they have no business there and as such are responsible for whatever might befall them.

The only "evidence" of immaturity on TND's part that has any merit was the method of his original posting. But I don't even agree with that, I do agree that it was an act of anger, as he has admitted, and most sincerely apologized for. Actually my impression is that he has shown far more maturity and restraint in his postings that others 3 times his age on here.

While Bill does not seem to share an overtly possessive attitude towards the park, others need to stand back and realize that the only thing that matters here is the events directly before and after the boat brushed the flag. Anything else is irrelevant, and can only come from a highly selective reading of events.

I have received advice along the lines of what ReefHound is saying from several different people, and I have to take it seriously. Due to that, and the fact that I have a very busy schedule for the next 3 weeks, Mr Horn, I will not be able to accompany you to the Harbormaster. If you still want a synopsis, I can combine the two posts I have made here that hold all the information. I'm sorry but that is all I can do. I just cannot enter a situation with an unknown outcome where actions may take place that even you have no control over. It's not personal against you, Mr. Horn, as I quite liked you when we met, I simply cannot take that risk.

That is a wise move TEK to stear clear of the harbor master.

As far as you taking the time to combine the posts there really is no need for you to do that. Anyone can copy and paste that info from this thread--on US based web site and submit that info to the harbor master.

If you do it, Mr Horn pointed out that he does not have that right in Mexico. As such, he would be wise to let you copy and paste the posts into something to submit to the harbor master. Better yet, point the harbor master to this web site and let the harbor master read this site for himself. It seems Tek writhing something up and handing it to you might put him in a position that he does not wish to be in.

I think there was a thread a few weeks ago about the police stopping some guy here on the board and making him "pay his fine" on the side of the road.

Yes, I know. We all read the alleged scam story. What I object to is the suggestion that ALL police and officials " routinely " take bribes. Again, if he has proof, I would love to see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom