AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hate to make statements like that, but in this case that's the only way I can describe what happened to me today at approximately 3:30 pm.

Myself and 4 friends went to the marina on Cozumel to do 2 shore dives from the nearby beach. We entered the water for our first dive, dove for about 40 minutes, then started heading back toward shore. We were towing a standard dive flag and buoy with us.

As we entered the shallow area near the shore, I was at about 10 feet. Suddenly I heard a very loud boat which sounded like it was getting closer. I looked around, and to my horror, saw a huge dive boat headed directly for our flag, and myself. I kicked hard for the bottom and was able to stay clear of the boat's prop. The boat ran over our flag, going about 40' past it. Then I watched as the boat backed down hard until our flag was just a few feet off the left side of the vessel.

I made a slow ascent and surfaced beside our flag. I asked the captain if he knew what a dive flag meant. He told me to go away and be quiet. I told him that he "better be more careful or he was likely to kill someone". He again told me to go away.

I descended and rejoined my dive group. We swam about 40 more feet and ended the dive. When I surfaced again, I saw that the boat's divemaster was in the water just 20' away. I decided to talk to him. I swam over to about 10' away, and before I could say anything he said "Do you have authorization to be instructing here." I said, "no, I'm not an instructor and am not teaching. I would appreciate it if you would not run your boat over my dive flag. You almost killed me."

He replied, "Do you have a marine park pass? I don't think you do." Then he said to his divers, "Come on, we're descending now." This ticked me off, and I said, "No, I'm not done with you yet!" He then said, "you better shut up and be careful what you complain about, or I will call the park service on you." Then he said to his captain, in spanish, "Call the national park." I told him, "Do what you want, I really don't care about them. How would you feel if someone ran YOUR flag over?" (He had an identical flag with him) He again told me to shut up and leave, then he descended.

This behavior is not acceptable. A professional dive operator intentionally endangered my life and the life of all the divers in my group, then had the balls to imply that it was my fault for even diving there at all.

To operator was AquaSafari, their boat was the Ocean Two. I suggest that if you travel to Cozumel, avoid this operator at all cost. They are obviously only concerned with their paying customers and nothing else.

Here's the boat a few minutes later after they drifted down-current. Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - Cozumel

yikes..... I think I would find out who his certifying agency is and report him.... Did you have a park tag???

Even if they didn't have a park tag the boat captain couldn't have known & most definately should have respected the marker buoy / flag. I have spent many hours snorkeling in popular areas while towing either a flag or sausage and all boats that approached honoured them. Agua Safari has always had a very good reputation re the way they treat divers that they are serving but this is new.

My response to their attitude would have probably landed me in a Mexican jail. You should file a report with the park service and go see the Aqua Safari management.

Well, so far this story is on 3 message boards, has been sent to 3 dive magazines, and has been reported to PADI. It will be interesting to see what comes of it all.

Wow!? Pretty amazing story. Hope you will locate the manager, take witnesses and confront him/her. Totally unacceptable.

NetDoc, I like the way Scubaboard allows the opportunity to provide both sides of a story. I must say that I cant understand any boat operator not respecting the flag...they know it could fatal. I am hoping that the other side of the story is told.

Well, so far this story is on 3 message boards, has been sent to 3 dive magazines, and has been reported to PADI. It will be interesting to see what comes of it all.
:confused: There are OTHER scuba message boards? Who knew?

Seriously, that is a terrible incident. I'm glad that nobody was injured.

I sent them an e-mail:

Excellent idea. It is always best to hear both sides of the story before drawing conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom