AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To operator was AquaSafari, their boat was the Ocean Two. I suggest that if you travel to Cozumel, avoid this operator at all cost. They are obviously only concerned with their paying customers and nothing else.

Make sure that you contact the operator, in writing, with the incident and as much info as you can provide. It may not be that the operator sucks - it may be that they have a cowboy on their roster and don't know it yet. If the operator does not treat this situation with respect and diligence, THEN it's safer to say the operation sucks :wink:

I didn't see anything about what happened when you reported this to the shop, so I apolgise if I missed it!

This is a dangerous thing to have happen and I'm glad you kept your head and kept everyone with you safe!

I didn't see anything about what happened when you reported this to the shop, so I apolgise if I missed it!

I emailed them via their contact form shortly after I posted this thread, so I haven't heard from them yet. I'll post their reply as soon as I hear it.

Teknitroxdiver, you're there now, right? I'd go to the office in person with witnesses. Alcina's idea is probly better tho. I'd have probly tried to pull the captain off of the boat.

oi...... pls. do not mistake "dive saffarys" with "bad seamanship" the two are totaly different things. thats why every dive association teach there open water the basic rules and symbles of seamanship. most likely there "dive master" is realy not a "dive master" had you ever thought of that? and realy do not know the ropes of seamanship and saffarying and do get that eco pass next time soo the law will be on the right side. pls.

Realcs

I’m having a real hard time trying to understand anything that you just wrote, but are you actually saying that it’s ok for a boat to attempt to run over divers as long as the person steering the boat is not a dive master?

I hate to make statements like that, but in this case that's the only way I can describe what happened to me today at approximately 3:30 pm.

Myself and 4 friends went to the marina on Cozumel to do 2 shore dives from the nearby beach. We entered the water for our first dive, dove for about 40 minutes, then started heading back toward shore. We were towing a standard dive flag and buoy with us.

As we entered the shallow area near the shore, I was at about 10 feet. Suddenly I heard a very loud boat which sounded like it was getting closer. I looked around, and to my horror, saw a huge dive boat headed directly for our flag, and myself. I kicked hard for the bottom and was able to stay clear of the boat's prop. The boat ran over our flag, going about 40' past it. Then I watched as the boat backed down hard until our flag was just a few feet off the left side of the vessel.

I made a slow ascent and surfaced beside our flag. I asked the captain if he knew what a dive flag meant. He told me to go away and be quiet. I told him that he "better be more careful or he was likely to kill someone". He again told me to go away.

I descended and rejoined my dive group. We swam about 40 more feet and ended the dive. When I surfaced again, I saw that the boat's divemaster was in the water just 20' away. I decided to talk to him. I swam over to about 10' away, and before I could say anything he said "Do you have authorization to be instructing here." I said, "no, I'm not an instructor and am not teaching. I would appreciate it if you would not run your boat over my dive flag. You almost killed me."

He replied, "Do you have a marine park pass? I don't think you do." Then he said to his divers, "Come on, we're descending now." This ticked me off, and I said, "No, I'm not done with you yet!" He then said, "you better shut up and be careful what you complain about, or I will call the park service on you." Then he said to his captain, in spanish, "Call the national park." I told him, "Do what you want, I really don't care about them. How would you feel if someone ran YOUR flag over?" (He had an identical flag with him) He again told me to shut up and leave, then he descended.

This behavior is not acceptable. A professional dive operator intentionally endangered my life and the life of all the divers in my group, then had the balls to imply that it was my fault for even diving there at all.

To operator was AquaSafari, their boat was the Ocean Two. I suggest that if you travel to Cozumel, avoid this operator at all cost. They are obviously only concerned with their paying customers and nothing else.

Here's the boat a few minutes later after they drifted down-current. Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - Cozumel

I also hate to read statements like this and I assure you I am not here to defend "irresponsible" behavior. I would have encouraged you to FIRST contact the operator about this incident before posting it on three different message boards. And I have to be honest, as an operator in Cozumel...I find some questions/concerns with your statements.

I have been away from the board for a couple of weeks and FINALLY had some time to log on tonight to find this thread at the top of the board. As I said, I am NOT going to defend "irresponsible" behavior, but based on your very own statements...I have to play the "Devil's Advocate" for a minute.

If you were diving off the marina (Caleta), you were IN FACT within marine park boundaries and are REQUIRED BY LOCAL LAW to be diving with a CERTIFIED LOCAL MARINE PARK GUIDE. There ARE reasons for this, and I think you found those out the hard way. For starters, We DO NOT dive in the "boat zone." Per local laws and marine park regulations, YOU were in violation...dive flag or not. I am assuming based on your description that you had swam out to the reef and then were swimming back to shore. Most likely, you were in the navigational zone of the boats when he ran over your flag.

I cannot explain the fact that he ran over your dive flag, and that is a concern in any situation and most definitely something i would address with the owner/management. However, I can speak with some certainty that he did not intentionally endanger your life as you say. I imagine that he did not see your dive flag initially because he wasn't watching for one because you were in an area where divers are not supposed to be. As I said, there are REASONS for our marine park rules and this is simply ONE of them. The dive boat captains KNOW where the training and shore diving areas are and DO NOT navigate within those areas. If you found yourself within the wake of a boat...it is more likely that YOU were outside an "approved" diving area. Again, local guides know where these areas are.

Cozumel IS NOT a shore diving local. If you are not a local guide and familiar with local rules, regulations, laws, protocols, DO NOT assume that the same rules, laws. etc. you are accustomed to in other locations will apply...especially in a protected marine park reserve.

I do not work for nor do I have any financial interest in Aqua Safari. I do know that they have an impeccable safety record and are the oldest operation on the island. The owner does not settle for second best and the staff has been with them for years. That in itself speaks volumes.

In conclusion, I was not there. It is entirely possible that the boat captain made an error in judgment...I can't say. However, I encourage you to examine your own responsibility in this situation as well...most accidents have dual/partial responsibility.

As I said, the marine park regulation of having a certified local DM/Instructor are in place for NUMEROUS REASONS, and this is simply a perfect example. If you wish to shore dive, I would suggest someplace like Bonaire.

Finally, if you decide to come to Cozumel again...it would be prudent to follow the local laws and dive with a local guide...regardless of your perceived experience level.

I emailed them via their contact form shortly after I posted this thread, so I haven't heard from them yet. I'll post their reply as soon as I hear it.

This is what I object to. You posted this (and five other boards) BEFORE contacting the owner/manager.

The appropriate action is to contact the operation/owner forst and THEN if you receive no response/action...post your FACTUAL experience.

Teknitroxdiver, you're there now, right? I'd go to the office in person with witnesses. Alcina's idea is probly better tho. I'd have probly tried to pull the captain off of the boat.

And THIS is what I would have done the moment I got back to shore...before I went to the message boards.

Just for the record and clarification, I am NOT condoning unsafe procedures/acts, etc. I do however have to question and call into question the lack of accepting any personal responsibility. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but when you are somewhere you shouldn't be...you have to accept some personal responsibility.

Christi,
Can you add this info to the sticky on Cozumel? I've been to Coz 3 times and considered shore diving but was unaware of this info. The concerns and rules of diving in that environment should be available to everyone. Thanks for offering up a possible explanation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom