Are all Scubapro regulators made in Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone REALLY know this with 100% unerring accuracy? Seriously, unless you work with or for SP, this is all BS.

My contact at SP assured me otherwise. So who’s right?

And does it really matter? :wink:

My contact at SP assured me otherwise. So who’s right?

And does it really matter? :wink:

so since my contact isn't as Scubapro, what specific questions did you ask, and what specifically did he say? because they are "made in Italy", because final assembly, quality control, etc. occurs there, but that doesn't mean that all of the machining or injection molding comes from there. That's where the wording is absolutely critical

What is the “criticality” of the information here? If two screws were sourced from China, does that void the “Made in X”? Did aliens visit us in Roswell? Lots of important stuff out there.

Will someone tell me where all the nits are. There is so much nit-picking going on, I thought we might be able to re-purpose some of the nits.

Cheers - M²

Last edited:
I would think it has always been hard for any diving manufacturer to have enough volume to justify in-house machining or injection molding. Oceanic did virtually all of their machining for regulators in the 1980s but they started as more of a machine shop for making Aluminum camera housings (Oceanic Products). They also did some sub-contracting work to keep the shop busy. I doubt that any Scuba manufacturer ever made their own hose or glass. I doubt any will ever make or even design their own integrated circuits... specify maybe but not design the actual IC.

Underwater Kinetics started as an injection molding operation for their tank boots and expanded into the Q-lite. They also did contract work to help feed the injection molding operation. These are the only two companies I have direct personal experience with, but the volume versus investment and specialized employees conundrum still exists.

Modern highly-automated and high speed manufacturing and inspection systems requires tremendous volume to feed the operation. There is a surprisingly small number of circuit board manufacturers in the world for making more than about 1,000 units at a time. Wetsuit/clothing manufacturing seems to be one of the last high-volume manufacturing segments to avoid robotic-assisted automation. Interesting times.

For what Scubapro charges they should be hand-made by virgins.

I suspect the other manufacturers must use virgins too. I don’t see a big price differential between Apeks, AL, AA and Poseidon. Do you?

For what Scubapro charges they should be hand-made by virgins

I suspect the other manufacturers must use virgins too.

Has anyone checked the labor laws in the manufacturing countries? I now have a new visualization for if/when I get bored diving. It may never happen, but I have the visualization in reserve. Maybe when I'm narc'd.

Cheers - M²

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom