Are can lights still necessary for non-cave tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything else aside, what light you need depends on the conditions in which you dive more than the type of diving you do, dont it really?
Some places you may need to bring the sun itself to see anything and others you can see fine with no light at all...

The canister is also something you can drop if you need to make yourself lighter in an emergency situation during the dive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The canister is also something you can drop if you need to make yourself lighter in an emergency situation during the dive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As opposed to a can-less handheld light?

carrying something in order to be able to drop it.. kinda like pissing in your pants just because you CAN...

As opposed to a can-less handheld light?

So you should carry enough weight to offset the loss of the hand-held light in case you accidentally drop it?

I have a Dive Rite RX8 cordless. Have dove it a couple times. It's okay, not terribly bright. I use the QRM handle mount. I did notice it's a little awkward when running and recovering the reel.

I've dived UWLD LD-35 can light several times. I'm picking one up, just an awesome light. Very bright, love the handle and the craftsmanship is topnotch. Got meet Bobby last week, the guy is truly passionate about his products.

I'll keep the RX8, for now. It'll be a good backup/OW light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess I was just trying to say that ditching a working canister light that you already have because you are having difficulty managing it with deco bottles or scooters is not a good reason to do it. If you want a different light because you want it -- because it's brighter, more adjustable, has a longer burn time, or some other quality -- then I think the only real reason not to go with a cordless is the dropping issue (and again, the possibility of using a canister for more than one purpose).

Well, considering what I have invested to this point in my diving gear, I would't consider the sunk cost of a $250 can light be the deciding issue here. I want a different light because if I can get one with similar strength and burn time without a cord, that would be an advantage, IMO. I have two Sola 1200s that I use as video lights, I guess could try one of them, but they don't have great burn time (although the wide angle mode would be helpful when in a relatively small overhead environment, switching back to narrow beam for signaling).

I've used cordless lights a couple of times. I didn't feel terribly comfortable with them, and they were very heavy and large on my hand compared with my remote ballast 21W HID.

Now that's another reasonable consideration, and one that I hadn't considered, Lynne... thanks! Shifting weight from the hip to the hand might well be a deal breaker. I guess the devil is in the details, and as cordless lights get lighter and better, I would have to make that call based on trying it out...

---------- Post added June 4th, 2014 at 09:24 PM ----------

Everything else aside, what light you need depends on the conditions in which you dive more than the type of diving you do, dont it really?
Some places you may need to bring the sun itself to see anything and others you can see fine with no light at all...

Right, but this whole thread was predicated on my assumption (which may not be correct) that the best of the current generation of cordless lights produce at least as much punch as did canister lights that would have been perfectly acceptable for tech divers from a few years ago.

Not so fast, guys. One of the scariest moments (financially) was when my Goodman got caught while I was moving and not only pulled the lighthead off my hand, but also pulled out the E/O connector. Now my lighthead is somewhere in the silt inside a wreck and it is obviously not turned on anymore. I was very lucky to find it. So your advantage of having a corded light doesn't necessarily apply with E/O connectors. A cordless would have still been lit and easier to find.

I've been looking for a locking E/O solution ever since.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwinter,

A trick I learned with power tools and theatre lights is to tie a loose overhand knot using the cord and extension cord where they meet (so a tug on either the cord or the extension cord won't pull them apart). Will this trick work with your E/O cords?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

They do make locking E/O cords. I have had an e/o cord pull apart too, but with the goodman handle the light stayed put in my hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom