Are Cert/Currency requirements too lenient?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggest you check the below link, I stand corrected for a period from 1974 to 1977 changed from an English only station to a bilingual station, in 1977 for some reason CANADA's CRTC not Quebec told CHOM they had to make a choice either broadcast in English or French CHOM opted for English, so you see no raiding of radio station by a French Quebekers!!! Only problem I can see was created by a Idiot shock Jock from the States Howard Stern again not a French Quebeker, by the way I am an English Quebecker as are many of my friends and we all reside quite happily with our fellow French speaking Quebeker's.

Suggest you check out your facts before posting this kind of Garbage on the internet and mis informing readers about a people and their homeland/ province/Country, or maybe you have a hidden agenda against French Quebekers?

CHOM-FM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But what this has to do with the OP post is beyond me.

Is there anyone else out there who believes that it is far too easy to get and maintain an OW certification?

Only roughly half the diving world to some degree; or hadn't you noticed how hotly that idea is debated?

OTOH, I really like the idea of annual recertification requirement and would have no problem showing someone my dive log, I just don't happen to speak French.

Terry

I wouldn't think a dive log would be sufficient if recertification were to become the norm. It seems to me that a diver would have to perform all of the school exercises required from OW up through whatever level they wanted to maintain in the presence of an instructor, for a fee of course.

And who recertifies the instructors? The instuctor trainers, the course directors, and so on up the food chain. In fact, who recertifies the agencies? What qualifies them to teach people to teach people to teach new divers. RTSC? Who elected them?

This type of thing would require a complete overhaul of the industry. It's not going to happen.

Richard

There are ultimately 2 approaches. 1. Assume all divers need a nanny to look after them, create more laws and restrictions because we assume people are stupid and can't make good decisions on their own. 2. The other option is to keep things as they are. Assume people must be responsible for themselves ultimately. It's up to the individual to make decisions for themselves. There is plentiful information available, additional training, etc., where the diver can take care of themselves.

...because we assume people are stupid and can't make good decisions on their own.
Generally this IS the case.

The real issue is, do we allow some people to suffer the consequences of their own stupidity, or do we require that ALL people suffer the consequences of the stupidity of others.

Darwin State vs. Nanny State.

Over time, the NannyStaters have increased their numbers and are currently winning the war.

But what this has to do with the OP post is beyond me.

The thread was somewhat hijacked, and I went with the flow. The thread seems to be over now, but after a wait of several days I got some information that may be helpful to you.

Suggest you check the below link, I stand corrected for a period from 1974 to 1977 changed from an English only station to a bilingual station, ...

CHOM-FM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Since this did not jive with my memory, I contacted CHOM directly. They just got back to me today. They pointed out that Wikipedia has a bit of a reputation for inaccuracy. In this case, it was close to (but not quite) accurate in its description of the official change dates.

So why did I think I heard bilingual radio before the official dates? The problem is that no one is around from when CHOM-FM started (which is right when I was listening to it). The person I contacted believed that they did indeed experiment unofficially with a bilingual format before they applied for official permission. That person said that I probably did listen to them in both French and English. They have no way of confirming the degree to which it was done then.

Suggest you check out your facts before posting this kind of Garbage on the internet and mis informing readers about a people and their homeland/ province/Country, or maybe you have a hidden agenda against French Quebekers?

I have nothing at all against them. I don't really know any. I only reported what I wrote before about listening to the radio station (actually the best station I ever listened to), which turns out to be true. I also said that when I went into a couple of restaurants with friends and we sat around talking English, no one would wait on us. That, too, was true.

Now if you go into a Establishment and speak English in a sense you are demanding service in English they may retaliate by ignoring you.

And you seem to agree with that concept. I am glad to know there is a good reason to "retaliate" against tourists from another country because they do not speak the language. I had not realized that.

The real issue is, do we allow some people to suffer the consequences of their own stupidity, or do we require that ALL people suffer the consequences of the stupidity of others.

Ya... know, if I were into tatoos... that would qualify for such permanence just so I wouldn't forget it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom