Are dry suits worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with an OS Systems semi custom. Have never owned nor dived a 7 mil suit. That suit lasted me about 5 years and 300 or so dives with one change of seals. Sold it when it shrunk around the middle. Seriously. Nothing to do with me buying it when I weighed 135 lbs and sold when I was around 165. ;=)

I now own two drysuits. A HOG made by USIA and an Otter Brittanic Mk2. Together they cost less than what I see many DUI suits selling for. I understand Santi is a great suit and was leaning in that direction until my vendor became the distributor for Otter in the US (Manta Industries). Given the things I am hearing now about the current Santi distributor in the US, I am glad I didn't go that route. Never heard those horror stories about the previous one.

Between my HOG and Otter suits I have around 500 dives on them. The seals on the HOG have been replaced once. At just over 150 dives on the Otter the seals are still in excellent shape. I use and prefer the latex seals and mine are the heavier commercial grade on both suits. This is due to the care I use on the suits. I don't baby them but I am anal about cleaning and conditioning them after a dive outing.

The HOG has a metal zipper and the Otter has a plastic one. Not the TiZip but an actual zipper looking plastic zipper. I like it a lot. Easier to care for than metal IMO.

The HOG fits a little looser than the Otter. As a result the choice of undergarments is affected. My Otter won't work with the extra heavy Pinnacle Merino Evolution undergarment. Too bulky. For very cold water with it I have a set of 4th Element Arctics with the vest I use with the Otter. Just as warm with less bulk.

95% of the time I AM DRY when diving them. The other 5% has been, as far as I can determine, user error. A rolled neck seal, undergarment under a wrist seal, turning my head too far at a weird angle, and once -not fully closing the zipper. I also did have a boot seal leak that was covered under the lifetime seal warranty on the HOG suit. Stuff happens. The timing was not ideal and as I had a class coming up but it got worked out. It was however close enough that I am glad I now have two suits and often take both when diving. Next weekend I am diving Erie and guarantee I will have both of them in the truck.

I learned in my ice class that cold is cumulative. Under 72 degree water temp for multiple dives I am diving dry.

When I wrote the new SDI Drysuit course I tried to emphasize the need to tailor the exposure protection to your personal tolerance to cold. For me diving dry makes much more sense given the local conditions I usually encounter.

AJ:
Not even sure if I want to dive in wet suit ever again, even in the tropics.
I dive mine in the tropics, and am mostly happier doing so. I get funny looks sometimes--I often joke that when I take my drysuit to the Caribbean, there is then ONE drysuit in the Caribbean. Gearing up with a drysuit in tropical heat is not so fun, and I've learned some strategies to make the best of it without overheating so much, but once I'm in the water, it's all worth it. The only downside is that it has noticeably more drag, but I've gotten used to that. I'll trade going slower for being warmer. I do liveaboard trips where I'm in the water four times a day, and by the end of the week, I'd always lost so much core heat that I was too cold to continue diving by the time the trip was over anyway. Now, my core temp is stable through the week, which makes for a much more comfortable trip.

I had a drysuit, got rid of it. Now I can't wait to buy another. Tried diving wet here in Michigan and it is horrible.
I may even start using one in Brac, with a pee valve. I'm thinking DUI because of the zip seal, but saw some sub 1000 dollar drysuits on ebay. Not sure of their quality, but my be an option. Cheers

If you doubt the investment, buy an inexpensive suit/used suit or rent a suit 3-5x. If you didn't spend a lot you can sell it forward at not much loss is you didn't like the results.
Many people take 5-15 dives to regain the bouyancy control of an experienced diver, esp. to recover from floaty feet. Use heavier fins, but otherwise the problem will go away as you get the new suit better under your control.

I am a reformed wetsuit (7mm long + 5mm hooded shorty) COLD water diver. Love the drysuit, have used it on nearly 100 28-30C dives as well. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

I had a drysuit, got rid of it. Now I can't wait to buy another. Tried diving wet here in Michigan and it is horrible.
I may even start using one in Brac, with a pee valve. I'm thinking DUI because of the zip seal, but saw some sub 1000 dollar drysuits on ebay. Not sure of their quality, but my be an option. Cheers
You can get new suits in the 1000-1200 range that will have a warranty, be tested, and most important - fit correctly.

@2airishuman

I've had a DS for one season. I brought a Fourth Element Kevlar. I wear mine until the water temps get to 25/26C. (Air temps a lot higher)

So DS wise no issues, the fit is fine considering I choose different under garments

However, it's a big transition to a DS from a wet suit, I don't mean managing the bubble per say, but it feels strange and disconnected from the water, for me there was a lot of frustration. At first I have to admit I regretted buying the suit and wished I'd just got a fleecy undergarment for my 7mm, but I got through this and do like my DS , but I do enjoy the summer where I go back to a 3mm with the freedom and less lead

Yeah, I try to imagine what it would be like to be underwater but not wet. Doesn't seem right, but of course I have known others who thought that way and soon changed their thinking after going dry.

Dry-suits are most definitely worth it for colder water divers. I have a neoprene Apollo dry suit, low profile valves, foot and left wrist vent valves, light ski type underwear works fine in Puget Sound, Northern California, and here, in the Great Lakes. I actually prefer to dive in my custom 7mm skin both sides, hood attached, no zip neoprene suit. I come out of the water with chest dry and warm. Easy in and out, dries very fast. This is my second skin2 suit. I do agree that a good dry suit is a very good option for many divers. I dive to "get wet" and :) stay warm.

Last edited:
Don't forget, a 7mm suit at 100 feet is cardboard thin and a miserable insulator. I could really tell the difference after 60'.
In a drysuit you simply add air and keep the insulation effective.

We had a guy in the club that was a free diver and learned scuba. He liked being about to take his time with photos, especially deeper shots since air was no longer an issue. But, now he got cold on these deeper dives. EVERYONE told him to get a drysuit. He tried a loaner once....just once, didn't like the experience so bought a 10mm custom wetsuit. Probably cost as much as a 'starter' drysuit. Used it a few times, got tired of still being cold, particularly the issues of changing after a dive and going out to apres dive socialization and gave up diving. So, an entire sport plus several thousand $$ wasted.

I'd say if you are even asking, you probably need to try that.

it feels strange and disconnected from the water, for me there was a lot of frustration.

Yeah, I try to imagine what it would be like to be underwater but not wet. Doesn't seem right, but of course I have known others who thought that way and soon changed their thinking after going dry.

It was exactly this concern that kept me avoiding the drysuit option for so long. I was afraid it wouldn't feel like diving. I'd actually have gone for a drysuit years sooner except I was sure it would feel like being in the water except not really being IN the water. In my particular case--and I can't stress enough how resistant I was about this--it was instantly a non-issue. Apparently, getting my face and hands wet, along with the experience of neutral buoyancy, are more than sufficient for me to feel connected with the water. What is different is that I'm now comfortable on all of my dives, and am dry and comfortable minutes after exiting the water which, to this day, makes me feel like I'm getting away with something. :yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom