Are my certifications still good? I want to become an instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I started diving about 13 years ago and 10 years ago did a summer program where I earned an Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver certification as well as 5 specialty certs with PADI. I always wanted to be an instructor but then I went to college and got a job and all that fun stuff. So now I want to get going with my diving again and am wondering if these certs are still good and what my next step is toward becoming an intructor. Do I need extensive refresher courses? Thank you so much for your answers!

Your certifications are all still valid.
You would be best doing a refresher session (possibly a pool and open water) with an instructor before you head off on a dive vacation to bring the skills back.
I don't know about going forward to become an instructor. My recomendation would be to get some fun diving in first before you head down the professional route.

If it has been a decade since you have been in the water, you need at least a refresher. And I would get in the water and do a bunch of diving before I considered moving up to professional level.

The cards are still good but how are your skills. Definitely get more dives in without worrying about going pro. After you have some fun, get your skills back, then worry about heading up the ladder. If at all possible, see if your lds will let you just sit in and monitor a couple of classes.

If it has been a decade since you have been in the water, you need at least a refresher. And I would get in the water and do a bunch of diving before I considered moving up to professional level.

Yeah. Just out of curiousity, how many total dives did you do before taking the hiatus? If it's a very low number (25-40?) you may want to do a lot more before starting into the pro stuff.

I see on cmneus' profile that (s)he has 50 to 99 dives. I agree that time since you were last in the water is a HUGE factor in taking up on a professional course of study. Assuming you have not been in the water for at least 24 months, I recommend the following in this order:

1. Take a scuba refresher course
2. Go do at least ten "real dives"
3. Enroll in a Padi Divemaster Course at a reputable local dive center.
4. As you work through the DM program, be an active diver and accumulate as many additional dives as you can, both as an intern in open water certification classes and doing "real dives." If you "friend up" with another divemaster candidate, you will find it useful to go mark some bottom time together.
5. Complete the PADI divemaster course.
6. Go diving some more, and continue to assist in training as a certified professional. Do some real DM as a dive planner and leader if you get the opportunity.
7. Enroll in the instuctor course. (IDC).
8. Finish the instructor course, pass the instructor exam.

Know that a professional rating involves having demonstration quality scuba skills, organizational skills, good "people" skills, good teaching skills, leadership skills, and a wealth or real life experience to equip you in dealing with emergencies and challenges as they arise. Don't rush- get the experience and training you need to be a competent instructor. Good luck!
DivemasterDennis

---------- Post Merged at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Last edited:
Hey all! Thanks for the answers! I didn't mean to make it sound like I was in a rush or anything like that, I know my next step is Divemaster and that I need to get plenty of experience. I guess I worded it wrong! I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to re-take anything. Your answers were all very helpful though and thanks again!

the best thing that happened while I was taking my DM / AI / instructor classes was getting to dive and learn from about ten different instructors. I was able to pick the best habits from all of them and combine them into my skill list.
Do your best to get tutelage from as many different Instrucotrs as possible. If you only train with one, you're gonna learn his/her way. And it might suck.
If you want to be a great instructor / DM, widen the field and learn from lots.....

Hola Cmneus. You will just have to retake your CPR certification before you start on any kind of professional route. That needs to be updated every 2 years. The advice you have been given is great and you definitely want a refresh, maybe consider a divemaster internship when you can work on your divemaster dive school for a couple of months to get back into it and get some good experience with your divemaster before embarking on your instructor course. Good luck and happy bubbling !

As others have said, taking a referesher course if you haven't been diving in a while is a great idea. It should be cheap and only take a few hours.
In the meantime, get out your OW and AOW books and redo the knowledge reviews. Chances are in the refresher they'll have you start out with the OW knowledge reviews anyway. After the refresher definitely get some fun dives in. Hopefully with more experienced, active buddys that can mentor you a bit.

You will need to renew CPR.

After the refresher and having done a few dives, but before you embark on the Divemaster, go talk to a training center where you might want to do it and see if they'll let you audit a few advanced and rescue sessions, if they have any scheduled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom