Are Rescue Skills really needed by the average diver.... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't taken a rescue class, but I have read the course material and have a lot of experience in "rescue" situations from other activities I've participated in throughout my life. From my perspective, it's not that the skills themselves are particularly likely to be used (except possibly in classes) but the state of mind is a significant "intangible" that I think all divers need.

I'm a newb with less than 50 dives. I have decent (not fantastic) buoyancy and trim and I'm very comfortable in the water. So far I've had 4 or 5 "emergency" situations I've had to deal with, including one some might consider a rescue of a panicked diver in a surf entry. I didn't have to do an underwater search or bring anyone up from depth, but the biggest factor I noticed in my "emergency" situations was the state of mind to think through the problem.

I suspect going through the course material and practicals with an instructor will give some people a bit of this state of mind. I think, though, most of the people taking the rescue class independent of some specific program to become DM or Instructor, already have the presence of mind you'd learn from such a course.

All the other rescue skills the course teaches I simply don't see being needed by most rec divers. If they were, they simply wouldn't have been culled from the OW course. Rudimentary skills are still taught in OW and, from what I can tell, those are sufficient for most rec divers. I would be happier if better/more comprehensive skills were taught in all OW courses, but if they're not used, most people will forget them anyway.

In 1967 the aircraft carrier USS Forestal caught fire when a bomb accidentally exploded on deck. In dealing with the fire, all of the trained fire fighters were dead within only a very short time. The sailors that were left had no training or experience fighting fires. Because of this, the Navy now trains all sailors as firefighters.

Yes all divers should have rescue training.

Just an obvious attempt to plug the rescue classes.... :)

Personally I think they should combine Open Water, Navigation, Deep, Nitrox, PPB, Self Reliant and Rescue and call it Recreational Diver.

Obvious attempt to plug UTD. OK, you probably weren't trying to plug UTD but that is pretty close to UTD Rec 1 and 2.

Obvious attempt to plug UTD. OK, you probably weren't trying to plug UTD but that is pretty close to UTD Rec 1 and 2.

California is a bit far for me.... but I did meet AG once a long time ago in Virginia and his Extreme Scuba Make Over videos are inspirational to me.

California is a bit far for me.... but I did meet AG once a long time ago in Virginia and his Extreme Scuba Make Over videos are inspirational to me.

Same here, that's what got me into UTD. That and seeing UTD divers on boats and at the beach and realizing that there is a different way. Lucky, I happen to live in San Diego. AG is my instructor and I could not ask for a better instructor both in the water and in the class room. However, he cuts no slack - none. You pay for training but you earn certification. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Not quite sure what you're saying. CPR not doable in water yes, but once the victim is on board or ashore?

Correct. My point is that the scope of what we want to define 'Rescue Diver' as ... is effectively negotiable.

Sure, having a diver who can Rescue a person from the water and then also be able to perform CPR/1st Aid (on land) is a good combination, but these are two separate and distinct capabilities with no strict logical dependency whereupon one has to know CPR in order to raise an unconscious diver to the surface, etc...or vice versa.

Expired CPR (EFR, etc.) certifications don't mean much to me. I have to keep current, but have found the "review" classes, though well run, not very helpful. I review a page or two of my manual daily. I have never taken a written test other than the first time with EFR, and it wasn't even marked. I did a SJ Ambulance full day course once and again no test. You work the dummy for maybe 5 minutes 'til you do it perfect, pay your money, and you're certified, or renewed. Maybe watch a video. Maybe do a little bandaging. Being currently certified from a one day or less course doesn't mean you know what you're doing 3 weeks from now, IMO.

Right: the training is a perishable skill - - which is precisely why you review it so regularly.

And if the skill atrophy by 3 weeks after a one day class isn't bad enough, imagine what it must be like 3 years after. This is really just looking at Rescue as a specific instance example to the broader issue of if we should/shouldn't have "forever" dive certifications.

-hh

-hh, I guess I'm just thinking of Rescue Diver and CPR qualified as hand in hand, as (at least with PADI), you need EFR before taking Rescue. You raise an interesting point about having "forever" Rescue -- or any-- dive certifications. Sometimes I think having to renew makes sense, especially with Rescue and the Pro certifications. The other side of it is most qualifications one receives --ei. Univ. Degree, Teaching or Medical cert., driver's license-- don't require any renewals. Ideally, the holder of a certification should be responsible and review the material/keep up to date on new ideas, methods, etc.-- without having to bother to renew the cert. Back to my old Ideal World.

Darn Tooting, Rescue is probably the most important of the classes.

My first lobster mini-season as a DM, I had 3 rescues the first day...all of who could have self-rescued had they known a few skills and not panicked.
I tell every single student, "If you never take another scuba class after that, at the minimum take Rescue Diver...it's about self-preservation and accident prevention".

Rescue Skills are like the spare tire on your vehicle which you hope to never have to use, but glad that you have it and know how to use it.
The life you save, may be your own.

PS: Stay tuned for an article on this very subject coming out next week.

I would value it over AOW which some agencies allow.

The skills and mantal alignment a good rescue diver class provides fills a lot of gaps and prevents accidents while raising the chance of a successful intervention.

Pete

In response to the original question of: How far should I go in training to be an Average or Recreational Diver?

In my humble opinion, I feel this is a personal question to be answered by each diver.

It is not a simple as one agency's certification versus another. From what it sounds like from the older scuba divers on this board, the training now is significantly reduced from the initial standards due to a whole bunch of technological and procedural improvements. Thus the theoretical, mathematical "average" diver nowadays is much less prepared. So we need to focus on the why you need the training instead of what training.

If asked for advice for this question, I would approach it the same way as if someone asked me for advice when to do a master's program or a doctoral program: Go get experience first and answer the question yourself. Sure, you can go get a Rescue Diver Certification or a Master's Degree, but if you do not have the relevant diving or experience in the field you will study, it will do you little good.

I would not expect that every diver can progress through the x number of minimum dives on each course. Some people have natural dispositions that will allow for the quick progression through the ranks of a program. This does not mean all should be allowed to advance at the same rate. For me it is the responsibility of each instructor to determine whether or not the person meets the requirements. If they don't, even if it means giving a refund or turning a client away, they should be required to possess the skills required. Sell them a refresher course if they need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom