ARE SCUBAPRO JETFINS STILL GOOD FOR OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really Walter? wow! Maybe a fin just has to make a huge difference for me to notice. I know I hate my Scuba Max fins with a passion. I've never noticed the difference between my Rockets and Jets and I've accidentally ended up with one Rocket and one Jet when grabbing gear if I was packing quickly for a local dive. I didn't even notice the mismatched fins until I was packing up to go home after diving. My Rockets and Jets both have the vents by the foot pocket, I've seen some (don't remember which) without the vents and that might make a difference. The only difference I see between my Rockets and Jets is a line of round holes in front of the vents on the Jets. Well, to each his own! That's why there are so many different fins out there. I believe as long as the fin doesn't squash your toes and feet (cutting off the circulation), cause excess fatigue to your legs or just annoy you in general they are good fins for you.

Wouldn't happen to have an old pair of XL Rockets lying in the basement you'd want to trade for a pair of XL Scuba Mas Pro Diver's would you? I need something else for my dry suit, neither my Rockets nor my Jets have a big enough foot pocket to get the dry suit boot into.

Happy diving!

Ber :bunny:

Yes, they are funny looking, and the difference between the large and the extra large in terms of the paddle part is bewildering. I have been using them over my drysuit boots; they were the only thing I could find in the "dive closet" that would fit. I think they work pretty well; my foot goes all the way into the pocket, so I am getting less in the way of foot cramps with them. I certainly don't need ankle weights...

I was using a pair of paddle fins for a few years and didn't have any excuse to buy a new pair of Jetfin until my paddle fin tore during one of my dives. Well, I can't help it - if things gotta be replaced, they have to be replaced. :p

When compared to my old paddle fin, I find that the Jetfins have three advantages:

1) It takes less effort to fin against the current. I was struggling so hard with my old fin when I up against the current but when I used the jetfin, it was a breeze.

2) My two feet no longer bobs up on the surface. The Jetfins weigh approximately 0.5kg each so these fins keep my feet in their proper place when I'm on the surface or doing a descend. Before I had the Jetfins, I was literally sitting on the surface with two feet sticking up.

3) Cramps are more manageable now. When my toes cramped, I just need to bend over and pull the tip of my Jetfin to "uncramp" my toes. When I was using my old fins, no matter how hard I pulled the tip of my fin, it was fruitless - the fin was too long. Jetfins are short and by pulling and bending the tip of the fin, you can actually bend your toes to a certain degree to relieve the cramps.

If you strap the Jetfins too tight, you will get cramps in the the toes....and this happens to any other type of fins too.

In fact, I see more divers changing to Jetfins now......

cheers!
:D

Have to agree with most everyone on this thread... JetFins rule. :bounce: I'm 5'8", 150 lbs, size 8 (US) shoes, and I wear size L Jets (I think someone referred to these as Turtle Fins in another thread; they've got a shorter blade than other JetFins I've seen).

There must be a reason the design hasn't changed much in 30 years. :)

Biggest pros to these fins:
>> speed -- you can really feel them push the water out behind you
>> response -- amazing on turns and changing direction
>> alternative kicks -- I can do pretty much any kick with these fins; particularly useful for sculling (on my back, with blades making a mirror windshield-wiper motions; keeps me practically stationary, perfect for checking on my dive group)

So they look like duck feet... fine with me. :D The fact that they're short can even be an advantage: it's easier to walk (if you really have to) with these fins than with longer fins, and you've got less portruding from your feet underwater, so you can turn in tighter spaces or hover closer to reefs without worrying about knocking and damaging coral.

All the dive pros (instructors and divemasters) in my crew use JetFins and absolutely love them.

Only con I hear is that some people find them a bit heavy, and this could be a problem for people who don't have the strength in the legs for stiff or heavy fins. Again, the best advice is to see what works for you.

the sizes are different. My Jets wouldn't begin to fit on my drysuit boots, but a pair of turtles do (XL's). Otherwise they are very similar (except the say "turtles" on them.)

Jets and turtles are pretty cool for cave diving, wreck diving, or anywhere where silt is a concern, and general overall use, but I have to say that for open water, I really prefer the twin jets for less effort (It's like shifting your mountain bike to a lower gear, you have to "peddle" faster, but the effort is much less. They are not as good for alternate (frog) kicks, and some say they don't turn as well. For just cruising, however, they rock! Another however is, watch someone with twins on from behind in a silt situation, even 6' off the bottom, they shoot up little tornadoes of silt. (not good).

Brothers & Sisters of JetFins,
egg007,

YES!

Refer to:

http://www.gue.com/equipment/fins.shtml

http://www.divernet.com/gear/fins999/fins999.htm

http://www.myprimetime.com/play/hobbies/content/scuba_buying_guide4/index.shtml

Google Search: JetFins

Large feet, here. The duct tape keeps the straps from slipping. Some divers still prefer the "y" palm fixe to hug the fin to your foot.

I did S&R for several years and these were the prefered fin.

As with any piece of primary equipment you need to dive it several times, (Does your LDS rent? Gotta buddy that uses it?), before you decide.

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Hey egg,

I have used these fins for few months when working in Egypt, they are fine, have you even tried them? they are heavy but that's perfect for us girls who have light floaty legs and when teaching fin pivots etc, they are quite tight meaning they are secure and easy to manouever. You just have to get in the water and try them. Please note that if you don't want them I have been looking for a medium pair for years and still cannot get some. If you don't want them I will pay you whatever you paid for them, gladly.

egg007:
Just bought a used pair of Scubapro jetfins for $30 plus $8 postage, they are heavy black rubber fins and the previous owner duct taped the strap ends, why i do not know as the straps are not long and I do not believe they would dangle down.

I did not realise they are so heavy and even though I have a medium size they look small. I'm 5' 8" medium build.

Is there some kind of technology to these fins as they seem too small and heavy. Or are they just durable and designed for cramped spaces?

I'm concerned I might get cramps with these things. They sure were hyped up on the boards

I have only dove twin jets but the Jets seem very interesting to me. Up here we dive a local bridge during slack and then get out when the current starts ripping again and usually you'll get caught in it abit. I had to work pretty had with my twins to get out. I asked my LDS about the jets and he said "I don't care if you use pieces of plywood, you won't get anymore power". That just did not make sense to me.

Samantha,

I hope egg007 has resolved this question long ago. Did you happen to notice the date of his question?

I am 5.10 with a size 9/10 foot. I got myself a scubapro jet (large) and have not had the chance to use it in water. It fits me arright though XL would have been a better fit IMO. Its a short, stout heavy set fin which really makes me think what kinda propulsion it would give me. Guess Ill find out in a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom