Are the solo diver certifications any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emm I must be going madder or stupider. have been checking PADIs own site for self reliant diver course and its not listed. Did a search on their site and its only mentioned in a news event where the course is offered by a particular shop. Anyways hardly the end of the world I'll just have to go old school and ring some of the diveshops.

Okay, so you get the card, but then logically, you have no one to show it to.

It's a Logic Bomb... a Novikov level puzzlement.

images-9.jpe

Is there a patch? I'm in.

I have heard of operators who would not accept the PADI self reliant card (and others that would not accept any card). I've been diving solo since my first dive in the winter of 1961-62. I've been told I could teach the solo course (but I'm not an instructor nor desire to be). However, when I am diving a new location I generally prefer to be buddied up. Here at home I solo at least 95% of the time.

My primary concern with anyone undertaking solo diving is whether they know their response to an unexpected emergency situation. If one panics, I don't recommend solo diving at all. In the 50+ years I'e been diving, I've had several incidents where panic might have killed me, yet I remained calm and followed my training/experience.

... have been checking PADIs own site for self reliant diver course and its not listed ...
That’s because it’s not one of PADI’s primary specialties.

PADI has a core set of specialties as can be seen in the chart on this page: Beginner Scuba Diving Certification Courses - Get Started as a Novice Diver - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

They also have many, many instructor-authorized Distinctive Specialties, with some examples seen here: PADI Distinctive Specialty Courses

And there are a few that are in between. They mostly started as instructor-authored, but had sufficient interest that they became “Standardized Distinctive Specialties” with PADI-produced instructor guides.
These include, or have included:
Whale Shark
Lion Fish
SMB
Self-Reliant
etc.

There is at least one mention of the Self-Reliant course on the PADI site, in the fourth paragraph on this page:
http://www.padi.com/scuba/news-events/default.aspx?id=17941
but that might be the one you already found.

I would look at what you are trying to do. If you want to dive solo I would suggest the SDI course. If you want to protect yourself against a non reliable buddy, take the PADI course. The PADI course may be a great program and prepare you far better for solo than the SDI course. But with that said, PADI did not have the BALLS to call it a SOLO course. If you would like to dive solo on a boat what card do you think you have a better chance of getting an OK with? The card that implies you are trained to dive alone or the one that states you are trained to dive solo?

Anytime you dive with a buddy there is the potential to dive solo. Might be the result of poor viz or you or your buddy getting distracted . Know how to take care of yourself in any situation.

I found the SDI/TDI Solo course to be great in making one a self-reliant diver. Fine tuning some skills and picking up some new skills is never a bad thing.
That said, I dive "solo" a lot. Solo is not always diving alone....it just means diving without a buddy. I'll often dive with a group but as the odd man out. So with my pony bottle and skills I can dive with the group and rely on myself. The op I generally dive with knows me and is fine. I don't think I ever showed him my solo card.
Last week I dove with Dive Duck Key in Duck Key, Fl. I dove one day and then got blown out the next 2 days because they had nobody for me to buddy with and would not allow me to solo. (they wanted to charge me extra to supply an "instructor" buddy. thanks but no thanks)
solo training got me more comfortable with a pony, and more used to using the SMB. even if you don't plan to dive alone, the class is good for skills development.

I use a " Inflate a Buddy " .... Works every time....:rofl3:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom