Are there any devices that help expand lung capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfb001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen add about some object like EXPAND-A-LUNG and othe gizmo. Do any of them work?

Any recommendation if one them those work?

Thank you and best regards

:)

I have seen add about some object like EXPAND-A-LUNG and othe gizmo. Do any of them work?

Any recommendation if one them those work?

Thank you and best regards

:)

Not being much of a freediver, I'm no expert, but I believe you are going down the wrong path on this.
A freedivers lungs are squashed to a very small volume, and in extreme cases, liquid fills the lungs to keep them from being destroyed.
I don't think a small amount of extra volume would help. Instead, you should train to lower heart rate, and use anerobic muscles.
Be careful with the lung expansion idea....aerobic exersise will build your lungs, but just a slight overpressure would cause a rupture...look up AEG injury. This type of injury can kill/disable you very quickly.
Hopefully, a freediver will add/correct what I don't know.

Good Day Toastman,

Nice to meet you :)

As for free diving training, I train at the pool at the Olympic Stadium (Close to Pie-IX Metro station). I train by myself so I am limited on what I can do. In fact, I re started training so I am taking thing one step at a time since I am 52 years old. As free diving around Montreal, I do not have any idea where to go and it my intention to free dive around in lake to get use to depth. The dive do have to be deep , 20 to 30 feets would be a good start.I want to get use the depth and a pool cannot offer that.That was my next steps, where we can free dive around Montreal within a 100 Km radius. The lake will have low vis will be and the water will be cold. I am sure there me a fun spot. If you any suggestion,We know there are lakes in the North of Montreal or the Eastern Township . I will be happy to ear them.

Thank you and happy new year.

PS: I am also a certified scuba diver and I dive in warm water like the Cozumel, Bahamas, Australia and so forth

Breath Builder Voldyne Volumetric Exerciser - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Breathing & Practice Aids at WWBW
that one actually works
Most musician breathing exercises are good and will help with expanding lung volume. This does take a LONG time, and the gains are only marginal, what this will do is help you control your diaphragm better so you can control your breathing.
Learning how to slow your heartrate is very important as well, because it is what really controls how long you can hold your breath

You may want to consider Yoga such as Kundaline or Tai Chi instead

Back
Top Bottom